Fall 2018 French

frenchlover

16 minutes ago, HomewardBound said:

So, I had my Penn State interview today. They were really nice, but I think I bombed it. Too nervous and too tongue-tied!

I’m sure you did fine! The committees know we’re nervous. I’m pretty socially awkward and I have my Penn State interview on Monday. 

Edited by Saltshaker

Guys.  I'm going to drop a bomb.  I may or may not have applied to 17 schools and I've only heard back from 3 schools with any kind of answer, and haven't been accepted anywhere yet.  I'm nervous.  That being said, if I get into Columbia, I'll most likely go.

lol @awhiterussian my faculty members were like "that's a lot of schools!" to me hahahaha. you beat me! But I totally feel you. This week went by with complete silence. Next week... ahhhh.

Today my cousin heard from her ED II school for a BA; she is going to Bryn Mawr! Trying to live vicariously though that.

Edited by frenchlover

27 minutes ago, awhiterussian said:

Guys.  I'm going to drop a bomb.  I may or may not have applied to 17 schools and I've only heard back from 3 schools with any kind of answer, and haven't been accepted anywhere yet.  I'm nervous.  That being said, if I get into Columbia, I'll most likely go.

17?! Did you have to pay all those application fees?

7 minutes ago, awhiterussian said:

Yeppers.  I see it as an investment into my future i guess 

Dang. That’s a good investment, though. The thought of all those fees terrifies me mostly because I’m AmeriCorps and earn next-to-nothing. 

@Saltshaker Thanks! As long as you don't say "laidité" instead of "laideur", you're probably golden. Oops. Good luck!

@awhiterussian Wow, 17? I did 11, and it cost a small fortune. I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of responses. The next three weeks tend to be major weeks for schools to get back to you. That said, I'm feeling the same way. Let's hope to hear good news soon!

3 this week doesn't sound too bad, some committees haven't met yet (like Rutgers I've heard). But I'm with you, waiting is no fun.

One thing about applying to many schools is feeling embarrassed and just bad in general about having to pick just one (I have been admitted to just 1 so far so I don't know why I would even be thinking this, but alas).

I just found out last night that I'm a semi-finalist for a Fulbright ETA in France for the 2018/2019 school year! I know this isn't really the place for this, but I've been bursting with excitement after the past weeks of excruciating anxiety about not hearing anything from grad schools. At least I have some good news to tide me over, and maybe now I can actually put my focus back into the thesis projects I've been neglecting while refreshing my email

@Monsieur Vénus Congratulations!!!! And, hey, most schools will let you postpone a year if you do Fulbright. I just got back from one to Senegal, and it was one of the most enjoyable and transformative experiences of my life. I hope you get the chance to do both things!

My ideal scenario when I set out with all of my applications was to get the Fulbright award and an acceptance to a good PhD program that would allow me to defer until the 2019/2020 school year! (I was very optimistic at the start of fall last year.) Right now I'd be happy to get in to just one of the places I sent out applications to! :P

Congrats @Monsieur Vénus ! Do you know where in France you're going? Sounds exciting

I had a phone call with someone from WashU and I think I'll attend their visit day in March. Also received my stipend info from UNC and greetings emails.

Otherwise silence from everybody else. Can't wait for next week, the application cycle has made me hate weekends lol.

@Carly Rae Jepsen thank you! Unfortunately there's still one more round of reviews (and therefore a couple more months of waiting) before I can officially receive the award and find out where they're sending me. Really all being a semi-finalist means is there are now only 15-20 applicants vying for 10 spots instead of ~150 applicants

27 minutes ago, Saltshaker said:

Had my Columbia interview, not sure how it went (I panicked a bit) but @awhiterussian they said they're hoping to make decisions in the next two days :o

Holy shit you serious????  Someone a couple years ago heard 4 hours after their interview.  Terrifying.  Omg I’m so nervous.