Fall 2018 French

frenchlover

49 minutes ago, frenchlover said:

Woo! Yeah, I am anticipating a rejection letter from UChicago very soon. Or worse, a recommendation to the MAPH program.

Did they send you anything? I am as well lmao

I was reading my personal statement and noticed two grammar mistakes too. I just want them to be quick with it

@Carly Rae Jepsen awesome, so glad to hear that your interview went well!

I truly have no idea where I stand with most of my schools... I know the French PhD process is more holistic because most programs receive so few applications compared to other humanities, but even so, I'm still incredibly nervous. I'm feeling pretty pessimistic about 2 as well, and have been detaching myself from hoping  for an acceptance lol. However, the others still have hope, I'm just trying not to get too confident!

My first result should be within the next week or so, and I am petrified. Oh well, all we can do is hope for the best! :)

6 hours ago, madamoiselle said:

I truly have no idea where I stand with most of my schools... I know the French PhD process is more holistic because most programs receive so few applications compared to other humanities, but even so, I'm still incredibly nervous. I'm feeling pretty pessimistic about 2 as well, and have been detaching myself from hoping  for an acceptance lol. However, the others still have hope, I'm just trying not to get too confident!

My first result should be within the next week or so, and I am petrified. Oh well, all we can do is hope for the best! :)

Thank you! :)

And yeah, I wish we had a way to know where we stand in comparison to other applicants. Not many people fill out the GPA and GRE section of the forum survey and schools are not putting out that info in their websites either (while i was researching only Duke, Northwestern and NYU did. Seeing as how the low number of acceptances deterred me from applying to those places I think I understand why they might not post admission stats lol). These next two weeks will feel like years waiting for a response. 

7 hours ago, madamoiselle said:

Yeah I feel the same. I have no idea what to expect for admissions. I think I found Duke and UMichigan's acceptance rates for the French department, but all of the other schools I applied to seemed shrouded in secrecy. But I guess I should hear back from Penn soon and UMichigan not long after that! As for the rest, only time will tell...

Hey our odds are better than those of the folks in the English world amirite lol

Also I think Duke's admissions stats look more competitive because of all the Spanish PhD applicants.. and the applicant count at NW has gone down over the years. NYU states its acceptance rate is 10%-ish, but I think they count the applicants to the history program as well, which is always much more competitive. The only thing I do know is that admissions is becoming, in a sense, less difficult as students fully begin to understand that, well, there are simply no jobs in academia, and to spend 5-7 years training for a job that doesn't exist is unwise--my faculty members have made this abundantly clear to me and all the folks in my dept. But lol here I am!

Edited by frenchlover

^^Yeah, it's definitely much more convoluted when you consider a Romance Languages department versus a completely French department. My alma mater (UT) publishes stats and they get ~18 a year, and Yale published stats back in 2016 getting 27, I believe. As for NYU, I know they say that they get 100+, but I agree that they factor in their multiple masters programs and the multiple PhDs as well, so proportionally (3 masters, the history interdiscp. and 2 PhD tracks), that would make sense. 

I've been getting reminder emails from schools where I've opened apps and haven't completed them; they're coming from the departments themselves and not just graduate services, so that's definitely shocking (pleasantly, as it's very personal and feel-good!) It's also telling as to the smaller, incredibly intimate applicant pool. I've also heard that with such smaller pools, things like GPA and GRE decrease in importance. Where as they are cutoffs for really large programs (History, English) the selection becomes much, much more holistic for French and everything balances out. Essentially, it's too complex to tell! And as @Carly Rae Jepsen said, nobody puts their stats on the results page, and there's quite a bit of variety (lower stats getting in over higher stats, etc.) 

I also applied to Northwestern!  Do you know how the applicant count is looking @frenchlover?

16 hours ago, Monsieur Vénus said:

BTW @Carly Rae Jepsen I see that you applied to IU Bloomington! I'm currently an undergrad there. The French department here is great, and I love it so much!

Nice! I applied because it's a relatively large department and I heard good things about the program. It's in my top 3 for sure.

Just thought I'd chime in! I'm applying during this cycle, too. Good luck to everyone on Michigan! I'm feeling a bit hopeless about that one--found out I typed a random capital 'S' in the middle of my statement of purpose, and I somehow didn't catch it. :' (  

@Carly Rae Jepsen I just got an interview request from Pittsburgh, too! It's one of my top choices. What was the interview like? So nervous!

I seriously hope we aren't booted for small typos. The applicant pool should be small enough that admissions can look beyond that. Lol I just reread one of my why this school and realized that one of the arguments I made for why I should work with this person.. well.. makes no sense. Oh welllll.

53 minutes ago, frenchlover said:

I seriously hope we aren't booted for small typos. The applicant pool should be small enough that admissions can look beyond that. Lol I just reread one of my why this school and realized that one of the arguments I made for why I should work with this person.. well.. makes no sense. Oh welllll.

Oh no! Hopefully they'll just think that your argument is brilliant and inaccessible, rather than nonsensical. There's always a chance. In addition to my harebrained capital 'S' in the Michigan application, I applied to Yale and left out the word "of". I'd be surprised if they haven't burned my application by this point.

On a more serious note, I'd imagine that the typo tolerance of a school is directly correlated with the number of quality applications they receive in a given year. If it's a really tough choice, something as small as a typo may be the determining factor. If your application is otherwise incredible, and you're a really good fit for the program, they're probably more likely to ignore the typo.

11 hours ago, frenchlover said:

I bet we will hear something this week from some school. We've got to!

Also hmmm are schools closed or open during MLK day? Not sure?

I at least know IU Bloomington is closed for MLK day, so I assumed most others would be too. We'll probably start hearing from schools tomorrow at the earliest! I'm fairly certain Penn will announce their decisions this week ?

Ahh yes, IU Bloomington is a public school. It seems like private schools are open and are responding to my emails. My emails probably radiate anxiety haha, even though I just ask for logistical help.

Edited by frenchlover

20 hours ago, HomewardBound said:

Just thought I'd chime in! I'm applying during this cycle, too. Good luck to everyone on Michigan! I'm feeling a bit hopeless about that one--found out I typed a random capital 'S' in the middle of my statement of purpose, and I somehow didn't catch it. :' (  

@Carly Rae Jepsen I just got an interview request from Pittsburgh, too! It's one of my top choices. What was the interview like? So nervous!

Don't be nervous, the interview is very standard. They'll ask you about your interests and writing sample, and of course why you chose the program. They will also let you ask questions. The professor who interviewed me was very kind! Best of luck! 

17 hours ago, frenchlover said:

I bet we will hear something this week from some school. We've got to!

Also hmmm are schools closed or open during MLK day? Not sure?

Is it bad I was mad at MLK Day derailing my notifications? This is insane lol.

Looking at the survey though, my schools notified everybody beginning in the 20s of January, so it's unreasonable to expect anything before. I think the deadline for IU Bloomington's app was today, actually. Not sure why someone would submit their application so late, but in theory they could.