Fall 2018 French

frenchlover

UPenn's committee was quick lol. Congrats!

I haven't heard anything from UMich yet (or anyone other than UPitt really. They still have 2 days this week!). I didn't know they had interviews. I'm actually kind of confused about interviews--do all programs have them? I was under the impression they were far less common for humanities than for STEM programs.

Yeah, I think in French departments, or foreign languages generally, it would be odd to not have an interview process. The wealthiest and 'biggest name' schools have Skype interviews and then interviews on-campus before admission.

I'm also on high anxiety about Penn -- they tend to send out acceptances on the same day (judging from the results page), so I'm bracing myself for a rejection at this point. Oh well, what happens happens, all we can do is hope for the best; that we get put in a program that likes us and is a good fit! 

Funding also wouldn't hurt lol ;) 

Edited by madamoiselle

I got emails from Penn State and Washington University in St. Louis, the two schools where I started the app but never finished. I asked them about fee waivers but they didn't respond so I just never bothered to finish either app. It will be awkward to tell them I'm not applying. If anybody here applied to either, though, that must mean they are starting to review apps.

I was specially confused at WashU since I sent someone an email specifically about the fee waiver but they just told me to "follow the instructions on the screen." The instructions said to ask her, so I was super confused. Maybe not a good reason not to apply, but I just couldn't afford to pay application fees anymore. Those and the GRE are killers. 

@Carly Rae Jepsen

I applied to WashU, and what you have to do to get a fee waiver is to email graduateschool@wustl.edu detailing why you believe you should get a fee waiver. It was definitely confusing when they told me to follow the instructions as well. You could also elect to not report GRE scores, and cite the cost as a reason, and they will consider your application with just your self-reported scores. Good luck!

(I'll PM you the email)

Edited by frenchlover

On 1/18/2018 at 4:57 PM, frenchlover said:

@Carly Rae Jepsen

I applied to WashU, and what you have to do to get a fee waiver is email graduateschool@wustl.edu detailing why you believe you should get a fee waiver. It was definitely confusing when they told me to follow the instructions as well.

Thank you. I think I'm not going to finish them though, I feel rude doing so, towards the department there and my recommenders who already wrote so many letters for me.

WUSTL stood out for me because they had a 6-year stipend. More than any other school I saw.

On 1/18/2018 at 4:57 PM, frenchlover said:

@Carly Rae Jepsen

I applied to WashU, and what you have to do to get a fee waiver is to email graduateschool@wustl.edu detailing why you believe you should get a fee waiver. It was definitely confusing when they told me to follow the instructions as well. You could also elect to not report GRE scores, and cite the cost as a reason, and they will consider your application with just your self-reported scores. Good luck!

(I'll PM you the email)

Wait, maybe I should ask WashU about this.

The only thing is I feel so bad for asking my recommenders to write more letters. They would definitely do it, but you know.

I'll think about this!