Anyone in I.R. hear anything yet?

BonAppetit

I've been obsessing over the results pages here, but I have yet to find anyone in a master's IR program posting any results. What's going on with all the IR programs? Is this some sort of conspiracy to keep us all on our toes until the last possibly minute? I haven't heard anything at all from any of the three places I applied, except for one email telling me that because of the snow in D.C., they might be a little behind -- riiiiiggghhht.

Anyone?

I'm also obsessing...looks like some people posted when they applied to the IR/IA programs, but no results yet. What helped me was to look back at the 2009 information for the school(s) I was applying to. It looked like for certain programs the second week in March through Mid-April were when people received notice in the mail.

I don't know if I can wait that long without passing out :)

Wow - no kidding, I don't know how I will wait that long, either! I hope I don't have to wait that long for all of these -- especially since one of the programs I applied to (Syracuse) starts already in summer. That's cutting it kind of close for me to visit the campus, make a decision, consider finances, etc.

Also, I don't have any nails left on my fingers, as I've apparently been biting/tearing them in my sleep!!

To make matters worse, my email notification went off yesterday afternoon...I looked at the email and it was from one of the schools and what I could see of the subject at that time said "Admission..." I think my heart skipped a beat. It was just an email to let me know they received my application. Um...I submitted it weeks ago, maybe you could have emailed me weeks ago!? ARGH!!

I have nubs with two digits where I once had fingers with three digits.

The only programs I've hear from fit more into IA, which are Diplomacy at Seton Hall, and IA at Texas A&M Bush School. In at Seton. Texas sent the interview conference invite a few weeks ago and I'm headed there in March. Also got into Josef Korbel School at Denver last week, but that's IS, though they have a variety of programs so they must be sending out all their letters now.

I applied to several MA IR programs too and no results back yet!! Yale's supposed to send out notifications in late february/early march, so that should arrive anytime soon. I also lo looked back at the 2009 results page... G-town happened to be the last one in notifying (late march/mid april)... patience.....

SIPA said somewhere (must've been the admissions blog?) that they would actually send you an email when your file was complete and ready to be processed. My application status has indeed shown complete since early January, but I never received any type of actual confirmation email from them.

Also to my understanding IR/PS is supposed to send me some type of similar email 4-6 weeks after receipt of all materials, but it's been over eight weeks now. I did email them to make sure they received everything, and they said they did though I still never received any email, and that for the standard deadline applicants the admissions committee is aiming to send notifications in mid-March.

I wonder if I should email SIPA just to make absolute sure my stuff has been processed? I'm inclined not to since my application status does say complete and that all documents have been received, but nonetheless they said everyone would've received an email a few weeks ago at the latest...

I got this e-mail two weeks after submiting my application:

Dear xxxx,

We are writing from the Columbia University SIPA Office of Admissions to let you know that your Fall 2010 Master of International Affairs (MIA) application has been processed, all necessary documents were noted as received, and your file has been forwarded to the Admissions Committee for review.

Your decision will be posted online. Our office will send you an email notifying you to log in to the system when a decision has been posted for you to view. Please make sure to check the email you listed on your admission application and also make sure to add sipa_admission@columbia.edu to your approved sender list.

I've heard two things, one that we only hear back via hard copy in the mail (not great bc I listed my parents home address as the mailing address since I move nation-wide for my work every few weeks, and they check the mail once in a while and mostly throw everything away since it's all junk. . . . ) or on the online application by logging in to the site we applied through and checking the status on there (lame, bc it leads to me neurotically check at least twice a day).

I did get some email a few weeks back from Yale talking about their housing and the general geographic area etc but I believe that's a pretty standard email to all applicants. Did nearly give me a heart attack though bc the subject line said "Admissions. . . ."

I've been obsessing over the results pages here, but I have yet to find anyone in a master's IR program posting any results. What's going on with all the IR programs? Is this some sort of conspiracy to keep us all on our toes until the last possibly minute? I haven't heard anything at all from any of the three places I applied, except for one email telling me that because of the snow in D.C., they might be a little behind -- riiiiiggghhht.

Anyone?

Also still waiting for Josef Korbel in Denver. From the search results it looks like a lot of masters decisions have been made, but nothing yet on the PhD front. Do you think that they wait on PhDs until all masters applications have been processed?

The only programs I've hear from fit more into IA, which are Diplomacy at Seton Hall, and IA at Texas A&M Bush School. In at Seton. Texas sent the interview conference invite a few weeks ago and I'm headed there in March. Also got into Josef Korbel School at Denver last week, but that's IS, though they have a variety of programs so they must be sending out all their letters now.

Curious to know how people are differentiating such monikers as IA, IS, PS, or IR? If Seton Hall has their diplomacy program and Korbel has their security program, how are you dividing IA and IS unless you're just staying true to the formal (and seemingly random) distinctions made by these particular schools? Just curious... during my undergrad I was an IA major, discussing IA with another IA student who self-described herself as an IR major. When I asked for clarification, she rolled her eyes and said, "same thing." Then I went to an IS program for my masters, where we were taught that IA/IR/IS were synonomous subsets of PS... now if I go to my PS department on my current campus, you find a rainbow of opinion on the matter... from the experts themselves.

I think most PhD's have already been notified. MA's don't usually hear till last week in Feb and the first two weeks in March. You might have been going through the serch results from previous years. Good luck though.

Where do people come up with this stuff?  Based on a search results of University of Denver Josef Korbel you'll see that all posts have been for masters, none have been for PhDs.  If you look elsewhere, you'll see what I've said before: schools and departments vary wildly.  "MA's don't usually hear till last week in Feb and the first two weeks in March" might be true somewhere, but it's certainly not true everywhere, and probably not most places.  Consider this: at most programs, admitting the masters class is the bread and butter, whereas the PhDs are an investment.  You take the revenue first, then you consider your delicate risks.  Also consider: more PhD positions will require interviews than will masters.  There are many reasons to think that (a) masters will be decided first or take less time to decide, or (B) the order and processes of committees isn't really something that can just be posted to good ol' grad cafe.  The truth is, you don't know.

I say, if you haven't received notification, that is in itself a reason for hope.  Patently ridiculous blanket statements should be countered with more likely blanket statements, such as, "rejected students generally get notified."

I'm still waiting on the following Masters degree programs: Gtown SSP, Yale IR, Harvard CMES, Stanford IPS, UT Austin LBJ school. Really need these next two weeks or so to be over. Any of you hear anything yet?

Yeah, sorry dude -- masters decisions have already been made!

Um no, I contacted the admissions offices directly and at least for the ones I'm applying to they explicitly said all notifications for the Masters programs are made end of Feb- March. Also if you look at the results search pages you may or may not have noticed that for this current application season, almost all results have been PhD's so far. You are just starting to see Masters results pop up. If you also compare it to previous years you'll see in general that PhD's come first. I agree it depends on university for the specific timing but take another look at the results search page.

Um no, I contacted the admissions offices directly and at least for the ones I'm applying to they explicitly said all notifications for the Masters programs are made end of Feb- March. Also if you look at the results search pages you may or may not have noticed that for this current application season, almost all results have been PhD's so far. You are just starting to see Masters results pop up. If you also compare it to previous years you'll see in general that PhD's come first. I agree it depends on university for the specific timing but take another look at the results search page.

Um, yes -- you're giving me your account, and I'm giving you mine. Again, this is school-by-school, department-by-department. The search results pages confirm exactly this, nothing more and nothing less. If you have an explicit piece of information from a source, then good, there's your answer, but not mine. As there are different answers to be had, I offer a meager contribution (which is true from the Korbel end of things) and warn against the untrue blanket statements that simply don't apply to all. I would imagine that someone else applying to Korbel could appreciate that, so I'm sticking to it. Not only do their search results verify it, but "explicitly" their Admissions blog, too.

Anyone?

Do you mind me asking which school in DC? The area has had so much snow in such a short span that even the government was closed for an entire week!

It looks like we've been applying to a couple of the same schools. Maybe I'll see you this weekend!