Moving to Art History from a different field

thewhitemare

Hi!

I’m new in this forum so I hope this is the right section where to post this. Well, to put it “short”, I have a BA in Modern languages (taken in Italy) with a “minor” in art history and would like to pursue my studies in this field, going on to a MA and possibly even a PhD (I don’t know why but it really fascinates me to do any kind of research and maybe even to teach it). The problem is that during my bachelor I only took monographic courses which gave me no general view on art history: I took a 1850-1950 art history module, one about Caravaggio, another one on Flemish art (1350-1650), one on six 20th Century Italian artists and a general module on Aesthetics. Plus, I wrote my dissertation on August Strindberg and his role as a painter. In terms of credits, I would be perfectly admissible for a MA in Europe; yet, as I said before, I don’t have an overview on art history and haven’t done those readings an art history student would do during a bachelor. I feel so ignorant for this. So my final simple question is: given my background, what kind of readings should I do? Do you have any particular books/textbooks I should/must read? 

I have already started to read “A world history of art” by Hugh Honour, but I’m sure it won’t suffice :rolleyes:

Thanks a lot for those who will try to help me! :)

I would HIGHLY recommend this anthology, The Art of Art History. While it's not exhaustive by any means, it is a really fabulous collection of essays and criticisms from a wide range of time periods.  It is also fairly inexpensive! IMO it's one of the best critical collections all housed under one cover, though I'm sure others will have lots of suggestions, as well!  Hope this helps!

https://www.amazon.com/Art-History-Critical-Anthology-Oxford/dp/0199229848