trying to get a small, cheap smart phone

spectastic

I got this galaxy note 5 from my parents' family plan. it's a great phone, and I take good care of it, but it's just so damn big. the screen is 5.7". I've been looking into options to downsize. The iphone se seems like a good option, with options of 4g network, a camera, google maps, and internet, which is all I really need, and it has a 4" screen. so far, this seems like the best option in terms of size, price, battery life and performance. after checking the prices, I can sell mine, and get a new se, and just about break even. I only wish there would be something out there like the iphone SE that uses an android format. there was this other phone called the jelly that came out this year, that has a 2.4" screen, but that one apparently sucks at battery life, which is a deal breaker, because I'll be using the phone for long bike rides.

anyone know of other phones I should look at? 

Edited by spectastic

• 3 months later...

Not sure if you're aware of all the battery problems that iPhone users have been facing, but be forewarned. I just had the battery replaced in my iPhone 6 (it was discounted because a number of users were threatening Apple with a class-action lawsuit). I still love the phone, though, and with the new battery it works (almost) as good as new. But before I got it replaced I couldn't go more than 5-10 minutes on a charge. Maybe I could fire off a couple of texts or e-mails, but it wouldn't hold a charge long enough to order a lyft/uber. I had it plugged into a portable power bank non-stop, and when it was unplugged it was basically unusable. This was after 2 years of normal use. From what I read online this was pretty typical. I'm hoping to squeeze another year out of it with this new battery...fingers crossed. I don't know if these problems are also affecting the SE? But all my friends who have the 6, 6s and 7 have had similar issues. I've also read about battery problems with the iPhone X due to wireless charging. Though I doubt you're interested in the X if you want something small and cheap. 

Edited by Bleep_Bloop

• 3 weeks later...

I like my Oppo. Apparently the camera is amazing for selifes, but about a month after I got it I broke the screen right where the camera is, so I wouldn't know.