Temple

♀HealthMatters

Hi everyone. I applied to GW, Tufts, UMass Amherst, UF, and Temple for my MA. However, the head of the dept at Temple, my first choice, told me to apply for the PhD because it is my ultimate goal. Has anyone heard anything from Temple yet, MA or PhD? Who have you contacted for potential advisers? Good luck, all!

Hi everyone. I applied to GW, Tufts, UMass Amherst, UF, and Temple for my MA. However, the head of the dept at Temple, my first choice, told me to apply for the PhD because it is my ultimate goal. Has anyone heard anything from Temple yet, MA or PhD? Who have you contacted for potential advisers? Good luck, all!

I got an unoffical notification that I was accepted at Temple (PhD) from a Potential Advisor a few days ago. I have not heard anything offical from the department. It doesn't seem like Temple releases all their acceptances/rejections on one day. They seem to trickle out. Good luck.

Hey Rachel,

While I'm still waiting on NYU and UMich, Temple is my only acceptance so far. They sent me a (physical) letter almost two weeks ago, with funding info to follow.

I'm planning on working with David Farber on post-WWII U.S. social and cultural history--what are you looking to do there? Do you have any helpful info on the program/department? (Temple was originally my safety school, so I never bothered to look into it as closely as my other choices.)

Best of luck to you!

This game is absolutely no fun. I just wish they knew they were my favorite!

Rachel, of course the DGS will tell you to apply for PhD if it's your eventual goal. You'll get funding that way!!

Rachel, of course the DGS will tell you to apply for PhD if it's your eventual goal. You'll get funding that way!!

I know, but I spoke to him and expressed my concern regarding a PhD application without an MA. He assured me that I would be equal consideration for the Masters program. I'm just worried that they didn't think I was ready for my PhD and then just rejected me without thinking about the MA. Ahh.

Just fyl, I spoke to my potential advisor there (David Farber) who said funding etc. was still being worked out by the university, but should be determined in a week or two. So you should at least get a definitive admissions answer in advance of that.

Just fyl, I spoke to my potential advisor there (David Farber) who said funding etc. was still being worked out by the university, but should be determined in a week or two. So you should at least get a definitive admissions answer in advance of that.

I feel like this tells me my answer :(

Don't let it get you down...I'm still in the dark regarding funding, and they've been sending out acceptances pretty sporadically.

Hopefully we'll both be lurking around the Temple history dept. together come September smile.gif

Edited by Dylan

I'm just glad I've been warned about the thin letter and sporadic acceptances or I'd freak out before receipt of said letter and on receipt of the letter.

I'm with you! Since we're both in Florida God only knows when/if we'll ever hear!

My professor contact Temple said the funding decisions should be official today/tomorrow...he gave "unofficial" word on mine, but said the dept. should notify me for real by email.

Any "official" news on funding? I also do 20th Century social & cultural history, but I suppose I would have a different adviser. I do African American Urban History. I talked with the DGS and he said they had no visit date, but could set something up. I am assuming that means they don't pay for any part of the visit... I don't know much about Temple other than three great faculty members that are a terrific fit for me. Dylan, maybe I'll meet you in real life down the road!

I just got notification yesterday that I'd received the university fellowship, which is one of four that the department scooped up this year (out of 50 in the entire university). My PA estimates there will be 10-11 phd candidates out of an applicant pool of 130 or so.

Best of luck to all of you. Wally, hopefully I'll see you down there.

It's not looking good for those of us without acceptances yet if they're doling out funding, I suppose!

I'm holding out for an acceptance to the MA program. I can't remember if you have already completed your Masters, but if not, hold on to hope with me!

I'm holding out for an acceptance to the MA program. I can't remember if you have already completed your Masters, but if not, hold on to hope with me!

I'm in the same boat. I figured if I didn't get into the PhD here I would get the "consolation prize." Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the same boat. I figured if I didn't get into the PhD here I would get the "consolation prize." Good luck!

Have you heard anything? The MA deadline was Monday. I've been rejected everywhere else so far. It's Temple or I wait tables another year and live at home with my parents. Ahhh.

Have you heard anything? The MA deadline was Monday. I've been rejected everywhere else so far. It's Temple or I wait tables another year and live at home with my parents. Ahhh.

Haven't heard anything yet. I have my fingers crossed since my only offer is unfunded so far.