Phd Profile Eval (stat or biostat)

I would really appreciate it if someone could look over my stats and give me some advice on how to look like a more competitive applicant. I'm set to graduate in 2 semesters, but I might take an additional semester if it's helpful. I plan on applying to programs next fall, and I am not sure how to proceed from here. 

I would also like to know if an MS is maybe more appropriate for someone like me. 

Undergraduate Institution: University of Georgia (top 20 public school)

major/minor: Math/statistics

GPA:3.67

Ethnicity/Gender:  White Male

GRE: Haven't taken it yet

Math GRE: I don't want to take it unless I need to take it

Programs Applying: Statistics phd or biostatistics phd

Noticeable Courses Taken:  

Calc  2 & 3 A- ,

Intro to Proofs A

linear algebra A,

Abstract Algebra B-, 

Differential Equations B

Sequences and Series (Introduction to Real Analysis) B 

Real Analysis (Don't know yet, likely a B or C)

Complex Analysis (Don't know yet, likely a B or a C) 

Intro to Statistics A-

Statistical Methods B+

Intermediate Biostatistics B+

Some classes I plan on taking are a follow up course in real analysis, number theory, (maybe abstract algebra II?), CS courses (including a stat programming course), and other stat courses to finish my minor. Is that a good approach?

Awards: Made Dean's list spring my freshman year, because I had a 3.9 overall GPA

Research experience:

Nothing Notable, but I've talked to a professor about working on it, I plan on applying to an REU

Misc:

I have three semesters left before I graduate, so I need advice on how to make the most of it. I just don't really know what I should be looking at.

My transcript looks a little off, because I made A's and A-'s my first year of college, and then I did alright my third semester besides the B in differential equations, but I made nothing but B's my fourth semester, because I took nothing but math and statistics courses, and I had an unusually bad experience with Algebra (I believe the teacher was reprimanded for the course, because it was absurdly difficult) so it caused my whole semester to just go off the rails. This semester I've been dealing with a continuation of extenuating circumstances involving my personal life that have caused me to not do as well as I could have this semester. I also find Real/Complex Analysis to be very difficult subjects. 

Schools and programs I am applying to: 

Probably UGA, maybe GA Tech, not sure where else to realistically apply at

If I don't get funding, I can't really afford to go anywhere

Concerns:

My GPA is probably going to go down after this semester, and it's starting to get into a low range. My grades don't look great, but I can explain sort of what was going on in my life to cause that to happen. I don't really have a lot of research experience, and I'm not sure I'll stand out as an applicant to any programs. 

Edited by CoffeeShopPhilosopher
wanted to include additional info

I'm an applicant applying for the Fall 2018 cycle, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Right now you're in a tough situation since you are aiming at a downward trend, especially in some of the core classes that the programs are going to be looking for. If you haven't taken your exam yet, study hard to get that B in analysis, that's going to be a bigger deal than a lot of other things on your profile. Try and pick up some more difficult courses (MATH4410 Lesbegue Integral, is going to be difficult but also well worth your time -- an A in this course will remedy some doubt committees with have in your ability). 

For some of the mid-tier to lower level schools, introduction to statistics is going to be important to making your application competitive. Pick up a regression analysis course and a course/sequence in mathematical statistics. 

On a personal note, if you're finding real or complex to be difficult at UGA, there's likely some holes in your math background that are causing you to struggle.  An introduction to advanced mathematics book can really help to find and fill those gaps. It's probably too late for this semester, but the skills required in those courses are going to be crucial for graduate success.

Depending on what happens in the spring and fall, and your research interests, I recommend you look into programs at: Purdue, Ohio State, Florida State (stat or biostat), South Carolina, UGA, and VA Tech. It sounds like you're on the fence a bit about doing a PhD to begin with, and that's not something that mixes super well with the high workload and low pay. Look into Iowa State and Colorado State, where you may have chances for funding as a Master's student.

All in all, you can easily climb into some top 20 schools with some relative success this semester and some grinding in the next two. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Well, I won't lie to you and say that things look good. I'm not sure if UGA is known for its math department / grade deflation, but if neither of these things are true it will be tough to get into a high-ranking program. I think you have a decent shot at some programs ranked 20-30 solely based on the breadth of courses you've encountered, since many of those students attending those programs did not necessarily major in math.

You have two semesters left so I recommend you take real analysis 2 and maybe a probability / math stats course and make sure you get an A in both. I think that will boost your profile a lot. I'm going to disagree with StateHopeful and say a regression course is not worthwhile at all. See the post that cyberwulf made about what they look in applicants. You'll learn regression your first year in grad school so there's no point in learning it beforehand. 

You might be able to salvage a high-ranking program if you get a very high score on the GRE and/or if you can manage to take the math GRE and perform exceptionally well >80th percentile. In fact, the Math GRE (which I am told is very, very difficult) might be your best bet to say "hey, I didn't get the best grades in math courses but I really know my stuff." 

Good luck.