MSW Advanced Standing Admission

ksocialwork

I hope this isn't a silly question. I am an undergraduate BSW student applying for Advanced Standing at a few programs for my MSW. I have had a decent amount of exposure to the field through internships and volunteer work, and have thus far received A's in all of my undergraduate classes but one. For my undergraduate field placement, although my supervisor highly recommended an A for the course, the way the evaluation was filled out (their final field evaluations are vastly confusing and overcomplicated) caused me to get a final grade of a B in the class. Do you think it would be a red flag for an admissions committee in such programs? Is a B a bad grade to get in field when applying for advanced standing?

Hey there! That's interesting. My field placement was pass/fail. I guess I assumed all were like that. I obviously can't speak for admissions committees but I wouldn't let that deter you from applying to Advanced Standing programs. I think most (if not all) Advanced Standing programs require A's or B's in all your core social work classes, so if you meet that requirement I wouldn't be so concerned!

• 2 months later...

I honestly wouldn’t focus too much in that B. As long as your overall a strong applicant (GPA, Work/ volunteer experience. GRE scores, statement of Purpose etc)! 

You could also talk about your experience in your placement & touch on why you recived a B