Interviews?

sarah4153

Hi all,

I was under the impression that it was only science programs who conducted interviews as part of their graduate application process. I've seen several posters on the results page who are receiving interviews for humanities or social science programs. Is this common? Of course, I'm wondering if the programs I've applied to do interviews!

Thanks!

Hey there,

I applied to five history phd programs, and was not expecting to have an interview, but one school emailed me to set up a very casual phone interview. I stated that I thought it was unusual, and she said that not many history programs do these. However, they recently restructured their department and they wanted to get to know their more promising applicants. I was super excited! I think it just depends on your program and school.

dmh26: Which history program is offering the interviews? I'm biting my nails to hear back from my husband's schools (9 programs, focusing on Central Asia history), and would be very interested to know if he's already been ruled out at one of them...

I think I may care more than he does, if that's possible.

I've got an interview with WashU's chemistry department this coming Tuesday. I'm both excited and smidge nervous, but I think that it'll be good interview practice no matter the outcome. The invitation came as a surprise because, although I have a good GPA, great LORs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

What if you never get asked for an interview? Does that mean you're totally out, or that the PhD committee has made a decision, positive or negative, based just on your application, letters of recommendation etc? I can't get anything out of my contacts I have at the university.

I might mention that I'm currently on the faculty of the university I applied to, but in a different department. I had excellent letters of recommendation from my department head, from a very well respected and nationally recognized professor in my department and from a recently tenured member of the program I applied to. I also have a very solid record of success from the Masters program I completed at the same university three years ago.

Am I just paranoid, should I chill or should I consider enrolling in truck driving school? Thanks for your input.

What if you never get asked for an interview? Does that mean you're totally out, or that the PhD committee has made a decision, positive or negative, based just on your application, letters of recommendation etc? I can't get anything out of my contacts I have at the university.

Not all schools do interviews.