Pursuing Law vs Professor in Philosophy

Jimmy Johnson

Question

Hi,

I am an undergraduate student who attends a decent public university and has a good enough GPA & LSAT score to get into a top law school at my state.

I am in a fortunate enough position to not be concerned with how much money I make as long as I make above $40k (as a freelance tutor, I've been making decent amount without much time commitment).

I like and am good at writing, reading, speaking, analyzing, teaching, and presenting/defending arguments. 

Coming from a teaching background, I know that I would love to be a Philosophy professor as well as tackle the challenging process of becoming one. Another aspect of being a professor that appeals to me is not having to be in a service sector where I may experience a lot of stress due to my clients. 

The only thing that shies me away from this career path is the dismal job prospect, which is between 4~15% for receiving a tenured-track position. Compounding this issue is the fact that I do not want to leave my home city, which makes this 4~15% even slimmer.

As for pursuing law, I understand that this process is tough and that the job prospect is not high either–although it is better than that of pursuing professorship.

So the question is, should I pursue law or becoming a professor? If law, which field should I pursue or avoid and why? I am open to any field as long as it has a reasonable job prospect and does not entail agonizing stress level (i.e. having to deal with unreasonable customers who refuse to pay or put you through mental hell). Thank you for your insight.

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet