Fall 2018 Developmental Psychology Ph.D. Applicants

DevPsy

Hello everyone! I figured I'd start this thread up especially since I haven't seen a similar thread for this cycle yet. :)

I applied to 13 Ph.D. programs: U of Denver, UCONN, Rutgers, Penn State, Boston U, Catholic U, U of Maryland (BC), Temple, U of Houston, U of Pittsburgh, George Mason, and Yale (because I currently work there as a postgrad)

Feel free to divulge whatever details you'd like to share here! And once interview rounds start approaching and decisions start pouring in, questions and other related things are more than welcome! 

Thanks for starting! Are you focused on applied or research? I applied to 11 schools, this is unfortunately not my first cycle. I have been fortunate enough to receive one interview invitation so far! Now I’m super nervous and anxiously awaiting word from other programs! Best to everyone out there ?

14 hours ago, appletoapple said:

I also applied to developmental programs! I've applied to UCLA, UC-Davis, Oregon, and UNC. I've been religiously refreshing the results page and also checking my email; would love to know if anyone heard back from any of these schools! 

Same- refresh... refresh...refresh. Lol. It’s totally not healthy. I’ve been trying to bust myself with leisurely activities. If the above schools are the only schools you applied to, we actually have no overlap

On 12/11/2017 at 4:53 PM, Psychapplica said:

Thanks for starting! Are you focused on applied or research? I applied to 11 schools, this is unfortunately not my first cycle. I have been fortunate enough to receive one interview invitation so far! Now I’m super nervous and anxiously awaiting word from other programs! Best to everyone out there ?

Congrats! I also received one interview invitation so far! Is this the norm or was this school just really early? I am focused on research. 

On 12/10/2017 at 10:33 PM, DevPsy said:

Hello everyone! I figured I'd start this thread up especially since I haven't seen a similar thread for this cycle yet. :)

I applied to 13 Ph.D. programs: U of Denver, UCONN, Rutgers, Penn State, Boston U, Catholic U, U of Maryland (BC), Temple, U of Houston, U of Pittsburgh, George Mason, and Yale (because I currently work there as a postgrad)

Feel free to divulge whatever details you'd like to share here! And once interview rounds start approaching and decisions start pouring in, questions and other related things are more than welcome! 

I also applied to the university of rochester and just got invited to their interview weekend!

Congrats! I also applied to Rochester but have not yet heard back... sigh. As for PSU, I work there, our PI hasn’t even looked at applications yet (clinical of course). She said it does seem early that interviews are going out already, but there seems to be a lot of them!

8 hours ago, gnr18 said:

Applied to 5 programs but my top choice is Notre Dame! Submitted my applications Dec 1st and freaking out a bit because I haven't heard anything back yet...:wacko:

I wouldn’t freak out about that. (I say this as I too am freaking out HA!). Our PI made me feel like it’s pretty individualized. For example our PI has truly been so busy she has not had time to look at applicants. I imagine some POI’s are super eager and jump the gun while others are simply stretched thin and look at applications at the last minute. Hope this helps! At least our applications truly go through a human’s hands lol!

On 12/27/2017 at 3:57 PM, 01sonal said:

@cashewmilk Sure thing! I was contacted about setting up an initial Skype interview during the last week of January (3 weeks before the interview weekend). I do not know if this is their standard protocol, but if so it could be a while until you hear anything, unfortunately.  

Makes me feel so much better knowing interviews do not start until late Jan/Early Feb. I read that on the admissions site and actually wanted to call and clarify but did not want to come off too over the top  :/ Guess it is all about the waiting game at this point. 

On 12/30/2017 at 4:54 PM, gnr18 said:

Makes me feel so much better knowing interviews do not start until late Jan/Early Feb. I read that on the admissions site and actually wanted to call and clarify but did not want to come off too over the top  :/ Guess it is all about the waiting game at this point. 

Yes! If you don't mind me asking, what are the initials of your POI? 

On 1/2/2018 at 6:38 PM, cashewmilk said:

Yes! If you don't mind me asking, what are the initials of your POI? 

I just realized we're talking about two different schools! haha 

Edited by gnr18

Hello All,

I'm right there with you guys with the refreshing emails and the application portals (with the added bonus of unsubscribing from any listserv that gets my hopes up because I think its a school). I'll try and add to the convo in anyway I can. I applied to a couple of developmental programs (Berkeley, UVA, BC, BU, Chicago, Duke, Georgetown, Michigan, and UCSD). Right now I'm in the airport coming back from Berkeley's visit day. I've had phone interviews with BC and with 1 cognitive program at UDel, and am attending the visit day at UVA which is my home institution. Psyching myself out now because I've heard alot of things from fellow interviewees that they'd already gotten interviews at some of the places I'm applying so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ . Hope this helps anyone at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry @IJustWannaGoToSchool I don’t think we have any over lapping schools! Good luck on your visiting day- what is that? I also was invited to “visit a campus and meet faculty and grad students.” What is that? My current advisor said that they program likely just didn’t use the word interview to avoid stressing applicants. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/1/2018 at 2:28 PM, DevSci said:

Has anyone heard from the UNC - Chapel Hill Developmental Psych Program since the interview? Or know the process at UNC? 

When I applied, I heard back roughly 3.5 weeks after the interview. 

Edited by 01sonal