What can I do to make the most of my time during the "waiting game?"

Ilikekitties

Several regional conferences have put out their CoPs, so you could put together abstracts for potential presentations. 

I'm making a tabletop game in my spare time. 

You could also start putting together articles for journals if you want.

Or just practice your hobbies and relax a little. 

24 minutes ago, GreenEyedTrombonist said:

Several regional conferences have put out their CoPs, so you could put together abstracts for potential presentations. 

I'm making a tabletop game in my spare time. 

You could also start putting together articles for journals if you want.

Or just practice your hobbies and relax a little. 

Good ideas!

Healthy, I know, but I'm drowning myself in my job. You could always do that if you have one. My is very GIS oriented, so I'm trying to become an expert. 

Here's my GIS plug: learn it if you don't know it. QGIS is open source, Arc is the fancy one you pay for (or your company pays for because they love you). Skill in GIS translates across disciplines and it's useful for everything. Also, it's time consuming and frustrating as hell, so it's conveniently distracting from The Wait.

9 hours ago, museum_geek said:

You should relax and take some time for self care.  The application process is a grind, and it only gets more difficult once you're admitted, so I would suggest getting some rest!

Good advice, thanks.

I applied to some competitive programs only because I was told to aim high before dishing out the money for an M.A program. I don't know what to do between now and mid-Feb. I think I will just enjoy my time left abroad and then will wait for the generic reject letter. I will try not to visit this website too often as well, lol. I will take a break from social media for a bit too. I don't want to be engrossed in the thing until I get a rejection letter and prepare for the M.A cycle or Fall 2019 cycle. 

Best of luck to everyone during this waiting game.

11 minutes ago, waltzforzizi said:

I applied to some competitive programs only because I was told to aim high before dishing out the money for an M.A program. I don't know what to do between now and mid-Feb. I think I will just enjoy my time left abroad and then will wait for the generic reject letter. I will try not to visit this website too often as well, lol. I will take a break from social media for a bit too. I don't want to be engrossed in the thing until I get a rejection letter and prepare for the M.A cycle or Fall 2019 cycle. 

Best of luck to everyone during this waiting game.

Some MA programs offer tuition waivers and assistantship stipends. Anyone know the approximate proportion of MA programs that do this? I know of someone who got accepted to a MA program at Columbia and her tuition waiver was either 25% or 50%. I know for a fact that other MA programs offer full tuition waivers.

I’m abroad too! Where are you? Im in China until July. Long time...I’m trying to engross myself in the online world because China will be lonely once everyone leaves for the semester break. I’m staying.

9 minutes ago, GameofLoans16 said:

Some MA programs offer tuition waivers and assistantship stipends. Anyone know the approximate proportion of MA programs that do this? I know of someone who got accepted to a MA program at Columbia and her tuition waiver was either 25% or 50%. I know for a fact that other MA programs offer full tuition waivers.

I’m abroad too! Where are you? Im in China until July. Long time...I’m trying to engross myself in the online world because China will be lonely once everyone leaves for the semester break. I’m staying.

Yes, I know some schools do offer partial funding for M.A. I will apply to those if I'm not accepted: UMass Boston and the University of Denver. I'm not sure of others one. I'm okay with applied anthro and plan on applying to IUPUI because of Dr.Mullins. I'm interested in doing historical archaeology. Dr. Bonnie Clark won't respond to me ...it's been forever, but I'm waiting it out. 

I'm in South Korea. I've lived here for 2 years, but I've lived abroad for over 3 years. I previously lived and worked in Indonesia and Thailand. I was intent on joining Peace Corps, but because of Trump and the cuts to humanities and science funding, can't do it right now. Are you teaching? I don't leave until May...it's killing me, haha. I want to return to applied archaeology. It's been too long and this whole grad school thing has made things worse. 

I don't know of any other schools that offer tuition for MA programs. Would love to know more.

Edited by waltzforzizi
typos