It has begun...

LolJustAdmitMe

It is 9:40 pm and I just checked the results page, only to see one of my top programs has already sent out their invites. I’m hurt. This hurts. Idk why I thought I had a chance but this really hurts. I know a lot of people’s programs have yet to send out invites but does anyone want to join me in this grieving process? Feel free to vent with me. Sometimes you just need someone who can feel the pain, too.

I am applying in the humanities, so I guess I am lucky in the sense that I do not have to worry about any interviews, but unlucky in the sense that I have to wait longer to get an inkling as to whether or not I'm going to be accepted or rejected. Best of luck to you all!

Update: I’ve officially seen another program I applied to is giving out invites. I hate to be pessimistic but I really don’t feel like things are looking up for me this time around, again. This is 2/6 Programs already becoming ‘no’s. It’s hard to accept but I don’t think I’ll ever get into. PhD program. 

On 12/12/2017 at 1:44 PM, LolJustAdmitMe said:

Update: I’ve officially seen another program I applied to is giving out invites. I hate to be pessimistic but I really don’t feel like things are looking up for me this time around, again. This is 2/6 Programs already becoming ‘no’s. It’s hard to accept but I don’t think I’ll ever get into. PhD program. 

I wouldn't be too hard on yourself, whats for you is for you. And for what its worth, it is still extremely early in the season

11 minutes ago, cashewmilk said:

I wouldn't be too hard on yourself, whats for you is for you. And for what its worth, it is still extremely early in the season

Yea...my family has been saying the same thing but a few of my schools have been replying early this yr and unfortunately I received a rejection today...so my reality is a little different then others :/// but I’ll keep my head up. 

If the worst case happens and you don't get in anywhere this year, you may still have a great career as a researcher. I had a few friends who got rejected at all of their programs first time around (incidentally all physics). They were all devastated.

A year later, and one had been accepted into an ivy for a different quantitative discipline, one had topped a masters program in a different field more closely related to his career ambitions, and another was doing a research internship at a top tech university. I would say things are far less dire than they originally seemed. 

On 12/11/2017 at 9:59 PM, pataka said:

I think a lot of programs are still right in the middle of sending preliminary invites, so don't get discouraged yet! I've heard the process can take weeks. 

This gives me hope lol. Question: If we didn't get a preliminary invite does that mean we weren't their first choice?

14 hours ago, vdehoy1 said:

This gives me hope lol. Question: If we didn't get a preliminary invite does that mean we weren't their first choice?

I have no idea. I'm sure there are lots of programs that don't do preliminary interviews at all... I mean the majority of the programs I applied to haven't popped up on the results board at all yet.