2018 Computational Biology/Bioinformatics Applicants Discussion Thread

Apologies if this thread already exists, I couldn't find it! I'm starting to get antsy and haven't heard from anywhere yet (though I haven't seen any of my programs posted yet on the results page so fingers crossed...), and would love to discuss with other applicants. In particular, getting nervous about Princeton QCB, which sent out invites on the 9th last year.

9 hours ago, 1224 said:

Anyone hear any news? Or any rumors about when notifications will come out? Based on last year's results page, this week might be a big one.

I think Harvard SysBio announces at some point this week...

On 12/19/2017 at 2:16 AM, 1224 said:

Anyone hear any news? Or any rumors about when notifications will come out? Based on last year's results page, this week might be a big one.

Hey! 

So I've applied to MS Bioinformatics at GaTech, CMU and UIUC as of now.

I've been in touch with a couple of professors at GaTech and UIUC who've been positive about an RA position.

So a couple of days ago,  I received an email stating that they'd make early decisions for GaTech this week.

So all the best to everyone for that :) 

Edited by nishant1247

I have an interview invitation from UMich PIBS / CMB and a rejection from UW Genome Sciences. Still waiting to hear from:

• Duke CBB
  • Harvard BIG
  • NCSU Bioinformatics
  • Stanford BI
  • UKentucky IBS
  • UNC BSB
  • WashU CSB

Yay for this thread!

Anyone heard any news from Princeton QCB, or Harvard Systems Biology?

I've got rejected from Washington - unexpected, but i'm international, and the page states the extreme competitiveness for internationals.

I've got an interview with Columbia Systems Biology - they'll fly me out from London to NYC so I think they liked my application.

Any news would on the following programs would be vastly appreciated:

• - Princeton QCB
  • - Harvard Systems Biology (I emailed Liz, she said invites would come out today)
  • - MIT CSBi
  • - Cornell Computational Biology (I emailed Sue, she said decisions likely to be 8th Jan)
  • - Berkeley Computational Biology
  • - CMU-Pitt Computational Biology (I emailed Nicole, she said decisions before mid-Jan)

1 hour ago, Izaak said:

Yay for this thread!

Anyone heard any news from Princeton QCB, or Harvard Systems Biology?

I've got rejected from Washington - unexpected, but i'm international, and the page states the extreme competitiveness for internationals.

I've got an interview with Columbia Systems Biology - they'll fly me out from London to NYC so I think they liked my application.

Any news would on the following programs would be vastly appreciated:

• - Princeton QCB
  • - Harvard Systems Biology (I emailed Liz, she said invites would come out today)
  • - MIT CSBi
  • - Cornell Computational Biology (I emailed Sue, she said decisions likely to be 8th Jan)
  • - Berkeley Computational Biology
  • - CMU-Pitt Computational Biology (I emailed Nicole, she said decisions before mid-Jan)

Congrats on the Columbia interview! If you mean University of Washington, you're right: public universities have a lot less positions available for internationals, because tuition (which is paid for by the department) is 2-3 times more expensive. So our chances as internationals are actually better at top private schools than public schools.

Still no news on the Harvard SysBio either... now that you tell me the invites go out today, I'm bracing myself...

Edited by Some violinist

15 minutes ago, Some violinist said:

Congrats on the Columbia interview! If you mean University of Washington, you're right: public universities have a lot less positions available for internationals, because tuition for internationals (which is paid for by the department) is 2-3 times more expensive. So our chances as internationals are actually better at top private schools than public schools.

Still no news on the Harvard SysBio either... now that you tell me the invites go out today, I'm bracing myself...

Cheers! Yes I meant University of Washington, sorry for any ambiguity there! Yeah, I think Berkeley admission will be tough for the same reasons as University of Washington. 

I'm bracing too, although, I'd take these decision dates with a pinch of salt.