Commuting Throughout Grad School

Hello! 

I have a question regarding commuting during grad school. I commuted during undergrad. In the beginning, it was fun because I was able to ride the train and bus/ drive when I wanted to. However, towards the end, TRAFFIC!!!! lol I wish I was exaggerating , but trust me when I say traffic has gotten worse for those who have to commute into the city. One of the programs I've applied to is approximately an hour away from where I live. The big kicker is that it's in somewhat of a rural area-- so no bus line/ train line. :( 

Another program which is in the city is normally a 35 -40 minute drive. However, with construction occurring on all major roadways, that commute is now 1- nearly 2 hours. Traffic seems to get worse each year, and the construction projects are somehow extended each year ( since 2015). Does anyone commute an hour each way for grad school? I've heard of one person so far. 

I don't, but I know people that do. It is incredibly hard for them to keep up because grad school means being part of an intellectual community and they are not. Those that are now in their writing stage, being away from campus is not a big deal. 

Have you thought about moving closer to campus? 

Me and some girls in our program commute 1+ hr, and it can suck because we have to get up 2 hours earlier than everyone else and can't go to every activity (study session or hanging out). But it will be worth it in the end because we save so much money by living at home! I spend my time on the train reading for school or studying so at least I'm being productive. And we stick around on campus to do work if we are already there. 

I commute 40 min-1 hour 15 every day each way. It depends on what time I have to be there or at my practicum. But honestly, it isn't that bad and I got used to it. Plus, I commuted about 35-45 min for undergrad as well so it's not that deep.

I have a commute that is about 1 hour each way, I am also working full time and doing the PhD part time. Fortunately I do work for the university, and my department does allow me to be somewhat flexible when it comes to office hours.
1 hr home->office
5 minutes office->school (different campus)
1 hr school->home
Bad weather/traffic/construction easily doubles the commute time.
The last time I had a commute that was less than an hour each way was over 25 years ago. While you do get used to it, I would not do it if I had any other option.