Spanish Fall 2018

SlyManuel

@SlyManuel ¡Enhorabuena! :D:D

I still haven't heard from anywhere yet and am starting to think I won't be admitted anywhere...and I know it's super early. And I know it means I haven't had any rejection either...so trying to tell myself that. Still, I'm so jealous of everyone who has heard back :) Especially heard back with great news! 

12 hours ago, senorbrightside said:

@SlyManuel ¡Enhorabuena! :D:D

I still haven't heard from anywhere yet and am starting to think I won't be admitted anywhere...and I know it's super early. And I know it means I haven't had any rejection either...so trying to tell myself that. Still, I'm so jealous of everyone who has heard back :) Especially heard back with great news! 

Like you said, it is super early. At least you haven't had a rejection yet and hopefully you will not receive one at all. I am confident that in a few weeks you will go crazy trying to decide on a program after the many acceptance you will get. 

21 hours ago, Caravaggista said:

Has anyone else interviewed for Columbia's LAIC? Have you had a follow up interview with other faculty members! HMU! 

21 hours ago, Caravaggista said:

Has anyone else interviewed for Columbia's LAIC? Have you had a follow up interview with other faculty members! HMU! 

No, I havent, what about you? According the gradcafe this year and the previous ones, the applicants normally receive an email asking for interviews during the first week of february... Since I havent received any, I don't know what to think about this... Build me up!

On 1/2/2018 at 7:23 PM, Imenol said:

Just got an email from Columbia's Latin American and Iberian cultures department! Got an interview :)

How was it? I am still waiting for THAT email... But since I havent received any, I am quite sad.

Just to try to help, many programs do not interview. So don't worry too much about that. I did not interview with any of the 9 programs I applied to. I do think there is a tendency to send out rejections at the end of the application cycle. Sometimes you even have to ask (otherwise they would never tell you). 

Hope that helps!

11 hours ago, xolo said:

Just to try to help, many programs do not interview. So don't worry too much about that. I did not interview with any of the 9 programs I applied to. I do think there is a tendency to send out rejections at the end of the application cycle. Sometimes you even have to ask (otherwise they would never tell you). 

Hope that helps!

But Columbia does! 

Hey everyone! I just want to give you all an update. I got a rejection from Northwestern over the weekend. I also received an e-mail from Wisconsin-Madison to set up a time for an "informal conversation" that would lead to admission if it goes well. However, I've already made the choice to attend another school so I turned down the invitation. 

How is everyone else holding up? 

Sorry about Northwestern, @Flor de Liz and enhorabuena about the "informal conversation"...even if you're going somewhere else! Where are you going, if you want to share?

I still haven't heard a word from anywhere, so I guess I can still dream about all the possibilities...worried about being a complete shut out though... I'm also worried that I'll hear from one of them on martes 13...martes y trece, ni te cases ni te embarques, ya sabéis. I love reading and living vicariously through good news though :D

17 hours ago, Liljuliet said:

Hello all,

I got accepted into the University of New Mexico, which was my top program, so I’m super excited! I just got the letter today. I was getting nervous, so anyone who hasn’t heard anything, keep the faith! 

Congrats!!! What will you be specializing in? MA or PhD?

21 hours ago, senorbrightside said:

Sorry about Northwestern, @Flor de Liz and enhorabuena about the "informal conversation"...even if you're going somewhere else! Where are you going, if you want to share?

I still haven't heard a word from anywhere, so I guess I can still dream about all the possibilities...worried about being a complete shut out though... I'm also worried that I'll hear from one of them on martes 13...martes y trece, ni te cases ni te embarques, ya sabéis. I love reading and living vicariously through good news though :D

You know, I've always known about martes 13 but I've never heard about "ni te cases ni te enbarques". Is that a Spain thing? My family is from Mexico so there are quite a few differences in expressions/sayings :D 

I guess there's no harm in sharing. I haven't officially accepted through their website but I have already decided to go to UChicago. It was always my top choice :) . I had also gotten an acceptance at UVa and this week I informed them of my choice. It felt kind of bad though turning them down. I still have to hear from UT Austin and CU Boulder. Although I already made my choice, I will let you guys know the results. 

Speaking of CU Boulder, I'm presenting at their annual conference next month. With me either getting rejected or turning down an offer, what are the chances of it being awkward? :D 

1 hour ago, Flor de Liz said:

You know, I've always known about martes 13 but I've never heard about "ni te cases ni te enbarques". Is that a Spain thing? My family is from Mexico so there are quite a few differences in expressions/sayings :D 

I guess there's no harm in sharing. I haven't officially accepted through their website but I have already decided to go to UChicago. It was always my top choice :) . I had also gotten an acceptance at UVa and this week I informed them of my choice. It felt kind of bad though turning them down. I still have to hear from UT Austin and CU Boulder. Although I already made my choice, I will let you guys know the results. 

Speaking of CU Boulder, I'm presenting at their annual conference next month. With me either getting rejected or turning down an offer, what are the chances of it being awkward? :D 

CU Boulder is my top choice most days :P I really like Chicago, but I feel I need a MA first before going for the Ph.D so didn't apply this cycle. Two years from now though.... So an enhorabuena for having your school!  ;) Enhorabona and zorionak too, not sure in gallego. I say most days as I love all the programs I applied to! CU just has my beloved Catalán. I'm sure you'll be accepted to both, but I am also selfishly glad that you got into Chicago as that is a bit less competition jejeje :D 

It'll only be as awkward as you let it be! I'm sure everyone will be professional about it. 

They usually just say martes 13 in Spain, but the abuelas add the ni te cases ni te embarques for good measure.. I really don't want any news that day as I think it would be a bad sign. 

7 hours ago, Pacayas said:

Does anyone have any thoughts on the programs at Cornell or Michigan? Would be glad to hear them!

If you are referring to UMich rather than Michigan State, I think that they are both excellent programs. They both have an excellent faculty and would be ideal places. Personally, I am more partial to UMich. They were my first choice and I was bummed to be rejected, even though I knew it was a long shot since I do not have a MA and my BA program was not the best overall. I think that they both have a strong faculty and it depends on what your main research goals are in order to decide which one is best. I do think that UMich has a more diverse faculty with quite a few big names amongst them, depending the field. I have heard that at Cornell you get to teach literature courses so that might be something you are interested in and would make Cornell much more appealing. Also, Cornell is Cornell. An Ivy might open a lot of doors for you. These are my two cents. 

21 hours ago, SlyManuel said:

I got accepted into Temple's MA. Kind of frustrated because I wanted to be admitted directly into their PhD but at least it wasn't another rejection. No funding tho. :/

Did you apply for the PhD but they offered you acceptance to the MA instead? Also, were you notified by email? 

Edited by Liljuliet

@SlyManuelThank you. Yes, you do get to teach the Writing Seminars to your taste designed. Also, there is a Prison nearby, Auburn, where you can teach, as well. I think I will vist Cornell, but I don't think I would go unless I had received the training I received at Pitt's Hispanic LL dept.

Edited by Pacayas

Hey all!

Hope you are getting really good news these days. I have had some rejections already: Yale and Berkeley. I am in a wait-list at Pittsburgh. What ideas do you guys have about the Hispanic Languages and Literature Department at Pitts?  Does anybody get accepted into this program already?  Thank you.  

image.png

6 hours ago, Aleppo2666 said:

Hey all!

Hope you are getting really good news these days. I have had some rejections already: Yale and Berkeley. I am in a wait-list at Pittsburgh. What ideas do you guys have about the Hispanic Languages and Literature Department at Pitts?  Does anybody get accepted into this program already?  Thank you.  

image.png

Hello! 

When and via what platform did you hear from Pittsburgh? Good luck! 

Edited by Liljuliet