Spanish Fall 2018

SlyManuel

7 hours ago, CFGM said:

Hi everyone,

Yes, I received an offer from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (and will probably accept, since it was my first choice from the very beginning). I also applied to University of Minnesota, and I was going to apply to UMass Amherst, University of Pittsburgh and PennState, but since I was already accepted in the program I liked the most I don't know if I should keep sending applications so I can have a plan B, or just accept. I definitely did not expect to hear back from any place before the end of January, so I had just planned to send all my applications and then make a final decision once I had heard back from all of them, and now I don't know what to do :wacko: As you already know, applications are very expensive, especially for international students, and I don't want to waste my money but I don't want to take the risk of applying to just 2 programs either, if that makes any sense. Any advice?

For those of you asking about the interviews, I did not have one, but I had already been in contact with the head of the department and some professors, and some others have reached out to me recently, so I don't know if that had anything to do with it or if interviews are just not part of their protocol. 

Anyone else going to UIUC or has some information about it?

Good luck everybody, keep us posted ^_^

Hey,  what's up? If UIUC was your first choice and you are already accepted (with full funding I suppose), I would not waste my money-time applying to other schools. You don't need a Plan B if you are already accepted and funded. While it is true that you can end up getting more money in other schools (in case that you apply and get accepted), they still won't be your first choice anyway. So I wouldn't do it if I were you and I will accept as soon as possible to start preparing all the paper work in advance. Well, congratulations and I hope it helps!

5 hours ago, Flor de Liz said:

Hello, everyone! I was not expecting this so soon but I was admitted to one of the PhD programs I applied to! :D  I still have to hear back from other programs but that could take a while. Super excited! 

Congrats!!!!

Do you mind sharing which one?

I hope it was one of your top choice!!!

Hi all! 

Congrats on submitting your applications and good luck! I was wondering, for those of you who have already heard back from your programs, were those deadlines in early December? 

I have applied to 4 Hispanic linguistics PhD programs so far, but many had a deadline of January 15th and I don’t expect to hear back until at least February.

I’m super excited but also very nervous to hear back. Just have to stay optimistic! 

On 1/17/2018 at 9:45 PM, Liljuliet said:

Hi all! 

Congrats on submitting your applications and good luck! I was wondering, for those of you who have already heard back from your programs, were those deadlines in early December? 

I have applied to 4 Hispanic linguistics PhD programs so far, but many had a deadline of January 15th and I don’t expect to hear back until at least February.

I’m super excited but also very nervous to hear back. Just have to stay optimistic! 

Hi Liljuliet! The program I heard back from had a Dec. 15th deadline. Another program that I applied to had the same deadline and the website indicated that decisions will be made by mid-February. I definitely is stressful and scary but of the good kind. :) 

Having flatmate problems distracting me from properly worrying about this! Jaja. Last week I had a few meltdowns about not knowing...this week, well outside the flatmate problems and trying to find a new place to live to keep me distracted, I'm a bit more "I'll find out when I'll find out" yet still check portals once a day and the results page various times a day, as it's fun to see commentary from other disciplines....quiero saber ya. 

Hope everyone finds out soon and gets the results that they want :) 

58 minutes ago, Liljuliet said:

I’m in the same boat @SlyManuel. Even working full time, I’m constantly thinking about it and refreshing my email. I’m dying to know already! :blink: We’re almost into February so I feel soon we should start hearing back. 

where are you applying???

57 minutes ago, Liljuliet said:

I’m in the same boat @SlyManuel. Even working full time, I’m constantly thinking about it and refreshing my email. I’m dying to know already! :blink: We’re almost into February so I feel soon we should start hearing back. 

I agree we should start hearing back soon. Looking at previous years, umich and IUB should start sending applications soon. 

I just really need to find out soon. I am constantly distracted at work and that has affected my teaching. 

1 hour ago, senorbrightside said:

Having flatmate problems distracting me from properly worrying about this! Jaja. Last week I had a few meltdowns about not knowing...this week, well outside the flatmate problems and trying to find a new place to live to keep me distracted, I'm a bit more "I'll find out when I'll find out" yet still check portals once a day and the results page various times a day, as it's fun to see commentary from other disciplines....quiero saber ya. 

Hope everyone finds out soon and gets the results that they want :) 

Sounds rough. Hopefully you will resolve that soon. 

Hola grad cafe! 

It's great to read about all of your exciting news, and also to know I am not the only one who is stressing out. Congrats to everyone for making it this far!! 

Wanted to join in on the conversation, sho here's where I'm at: 

Around mid December I applied to a total of 12 (multidisciplinary) programs in either Spanish or Latin American Studies (PhD: OSU, UT Austin, Northwestern, Washington University in St. Louis (WUSTL).  MA: Vanderbilt, Tulane, NYU, Columbia, Stanford, UCSD, UCLA, Notre Dame).  So far, I have been accepted to OSU and UT Austin (Austin is one of my top 2 choices) and received notification from OSU (also top) that they are nominating me for at least one fellowship to exclude me from having to teach. 

During my undergrad years, I conducted ethnographic research focused on language revitalization and preservation efforts, which I plan to expand upon. I am a Spanish and English native speaker with professional proficiency in American Sign Language and a background in interpreting. I have an intermediate level of Portuguese, a low intermediate level of Italian, and plan on retaking and improving upon my French and Latin. As a Guatemalan American, I also know a little Mayan Tz'tujil (hope to expand on) and have internship experience working with Mayan communities in rural Guatemala. 

Well, I think that's it for now! Looking forward to hearing more success stories from everyone in this forum! 

Buena suerte, amigos! 

Congratulations and/or best of luck with the rest of applications to everyone!

On my end, last week (Jan 22-26): an acceptance to Austin (Spanish) and interviews to Stanford and Duke.

Haven't heard from Princeton, which leads me to assume I'm not on their "shortlist" (that is, per this thread, the interview invites have already been sent out).

Bonjour (hola!) from the French board :) Figured I'd pop over and see how this board was doing, just to say hello, and am pumped that so many of y'all are thinking about UT Austin! That was my alma mater (for French, naturally), but if you ever have any questions about the city or campus, please let me know. I know the language departments like the back of my hand, they're great -- and I miss ATX a bunch! 

21 minutes ago, El Dinosaurio said:

Congratulations and/or best of luck with the rest of applications to everyone!

On my end, last week (Jan 22-26): an acceptance to Austin (Spanish) and interviews to Stanford and Duke.

Haven't heard from Princeton, which leads me to assume I'm not on their "shortlist" (that is, per this thread, the interview invites have already been sent out).

Who were you hoping to work with at Princeton? I was invited by my advisor so maybe it depends on your interests...