Spanish Fall 2018

SlyManuel

22 hours ago, senorbrightside said:

Gracias, UW...otro rechazo.

Two rejections now (UW, Colorado-Boulder)
One wait list (UIUC)
One accept without funding (McGill)
Two pending (Toronto, Texas Tech).

I'm just counting on not going to grad school now. It's easier to deal with than dashed hopes. This is technically my third cycle. I applied in 2008 when I finished undergrad with my second degree to 3...all 3 rejections. Last year I applied to one as I only had money for one application, accepted but funding fell through. I know something can come through with the wait list or the two pending, but I've just lost all hope. Ya tengo 36...collons. Aunque estaba esperándolo, me duele. 

Student loan for McGill for the first tel years and then apply for the TA!

5 minutes ago, fv32 said:

Student loan for McGill for the first tel years and then apply for the TA!

It's $18,000 Canadian a year for the tution/fees alone, not counting housing and food and stuff. Not too feasible unless I win la lotería mañana, considering I don't play...I wish though. Ojalá. 

3 hours ago, senorbrightside said:

It's $18,000 Canadian a year for the tution/fees alone, not counting housing and food and stuff. Not too feasible unless I win la lotería mañana, considering I don't play...I wish though. Ojalá. 

A friend of mine is in this situation in her PhD, she took out a loan to cover some fees and then asked the department about applying for funding in the second year. Until then she is doing work outside of the degree program. It's totally doable, if that sheds a small bit of light on that scenario! Sending good thoughts your way.

16 hours ago, scarvesandcardigans said:

A friend of mine is in this situation in her PhD, she took out a loan to cover some fees and then asked the department about applying for funding in the second year. Until then she is doing work outside of the degree program. It's totally doable, if that sheds a small bit of light on that scenario! Sending good thoughts your way.

They told me I most likely wouldn't receive any TA/Funding as a M.A. though (two-year program), and since I'm not Canadian I'm not sure what work I would actually be able to get with the student visa etc. I'm doing better today (each rejection takes about 36-48 hours to recover from! Jaja) and am thinking long and hard, but I'm hoping one of the pendings or wait list comes through, or if not taking it as a sign that grad school is not my next step...and let go of that 10 year dream (third cycle over 10 years and only acceptances without funding.) Gracias for the good thoughts :D 

On 3/9/2018 at 9:37 AM, senorbrightside said:

They told me I most likely wouldn't receive any TA/Funding as a M.A. though (two-year program), and since I'm not Canadian I'm not sure what work I would actually be able to get with the student visa etc. I'm doing better today (each rejection takes about 36-48 hours to recover from! Jaja) and am thinking long and hard, but I'm hoping one of the pendings or wait list comes through, or if not taking it as a sign that grad school is not my next step...and let go of that 10 year dream (third cycle over 10 years and only acceptances without funding.) Gracias for the good thoughts :D 

Hola @senorbrightside, lo siento por los rechazos recientes...es una situación difícil pero parece que tu sueño por un programa (pos)graduado no se morirá tan fácilmente.

Quizás puedes solicitar todavía a University at Albany (aka SUNY Albany) en Nueva York. Completé mi BA/MA allá el semestre pasado y fui aceptada a Duke, entre otros programas doctorados, este ciclo. Aunque es bastante fácil ganar admisión al programa, las clases son rigurosas y los profesores trabajadores preparan muy bien a los estudiantes en el campo de literatura. La fecha límite para las solicitudes de MA/PhD (para ser considerado por un TAship) fue el 1 de marzo de 2018, pero conozco a la DGS, la Dra. Ilka Kressner, que es una persona amable. Siempre está buscando a más estudiantes de PhD, y si le mandas un correo a ella pronto, tal vez pudieras solicitar para ser considerado por un TAship. Perdona que llegué tarde a este forum y sólo te aviso ahorita, pero ¡todavía hay tiempo!

Generalmente, mis compañeros de clase de PhD en UA reciben un TAship de aproximadamente $15,000. Enseñan como dos clases por semestre. Aquí están los enlaces a los requisitos de la solicitud: https://www.albany.edu/graduate/spanish-phd-degree.php
https://www.albany.edu/graduatebulletin/spanish_phd_degree.htm

Como se ve, la fecha límite general es el 1 de agosto. Dado que todavía estamos en marzo, tal vez hay esperanza. :)

¡Muchísima suerte con todo!

@LaPoetaSoñadora Muchas gracias por la información. Ya lo investigaré bien después de trabajo hoy :) Una pregunta. ¿Sabes si el departamento tiene un enfoque en literatura peninsular (y cine español) de Siglo XX y XXI? Es lo que quiero investigar :D  He echado una vistazo y parece interesante.

Muchas gracias otra vez. 

4 hours ago, senorbrightside said:

@LaPoetaSoñadora Muchas gracias por la información. Ya lo investigaré bien después de trabajo hoy :) Una pregunta. ¿Sabes si el departamento tiene un enfoque en literatura peninsular (y cine español) de Siglo XX y XXI? Es lo que quiero investigar :D  He echado una vistazo y parece interesante.

Muchas gracias otra vez. 

Sí, tuve un compañero de clase que especializó en literatura y cine peninsulares de esos siglos y sus advisors eran el Dr. Luis Cuesta (un hombre muy humilde y amable de Barcelona) y la Dra. Kressner (con quien tomé una clase del Cine del Mundo Hispanohablante el semestre pasado). De hecho, lo peninsular de los siglos XX y XXI es uno de los cuatro campos principales del departamento: lo barroco (España), lo colonial (América Latina), siglo XX-XXI (España) y siglo XX-XXI (América Latina).

Una cosa interesante del programa es que si tienes intereses más únicos que no caben perfectamente dentro de los clases "survey", los profesores ofrecen la opción de "independent study" para cobrar cualquier tópico que quieras. Por ejemplo, me interesa tanto la poesía latinoamericana y es parte de mi especialización, pero porque la clase de poesía no se ofreció durante me tiempo en UA, una profe me arregló un independent study con un sílabo amplio.

I hope it all works out! Déjame saber el resultado? :)

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve applied to Iowa, UT Austin, Colorado-Boulder, ASU, and Vanderbilt. I got rejected from UTA and Colorado, and accepted with funding to ASU. The professor with whom I talked from Iowa said that they had given out first round offers. Vanderbilt told me it might be April 15th before I hear. Anyone hear anything else from Iowa or Vanderbilt?  Also, any opinions on ASU (as far as the university’s reputation, yes I know it gets REALLY hot there :))  

Thanks in advance!

On 3/30/2018 at 1:12 PM, senorbrightside said:

OMG! 

This week has changed things...I'll be recommended for admission at Texas Tech and Urbana-Champaign...getting in off their wait list! 

Congratulations!!! I had to send my rejection to Urbana-Champaign some weeks ago--I hope it was you who got the spot. :) Creo que lo mereces. Felicidades otra vez y buena suerte.

20 hours ago, LaPoetaSoñadora said:

Congratulations!!! I had to send my rejection to Urbana-Champaign some weeks ago--I hope it was you who got the spot. :) Creo que lo mereces. Felicidades otra vez y buena suerte.

Pues enhorabuena por tu acceptance, y si eras tu, muchas gracias por tu plaza :D:D:D Mucha suerte a ti también! 

Edited by senorbrightside

On 30/3/2018 at 12:12 PM, senorbrightside said:

OMG! 

This week has changed things...I'll be recommended for admission at Texas Tech and Urbana-Champaign...getting in off their wait list! 

Congratulations!!! Let me know if you end up accepting your offer at Urbana-Champaign :) I will be visiting the department and the campus next week and hopefully finding a place to live.

11 hours ago, CFGM said:

Congratulations!!! Let me know if you end up accepting your offer at Urbana-Champaign :) I will be visiting the department and the campus next week and hopefully finding a place to live.

I'm 99.9% sure I'm accepting it. I have to wait until I talk to a professor from undergrad who wants me at her uni, but I know she's going to tell me to go to UIUC as it's such a great fit for me. Let me know how things go during your visit. I won't even be in the US until July so no chance to visit! I hope there'll still be a place to live then! 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Well, then, here's my unsolicited list of a few things to think about:

• Get in touch with professors you might be interested in working with AND don’t take it personally if they don’t answer

• Think about quarter vs. semester

• Talk to (read: email) current graduate students about life, professors, funding opportunities, etc.

• Course load: some programs seem to treat the first couple years as significant coursework/a time to acquire greater breadth in the field vs. others that seem to allow more flexibility and get you closer to your proposed topic early on

• How important is having (most) classes in Spanish

• Learn a bit of Portuguese (assuming your emphasis is on Spanish)

• How important is working with a wide of range of profs (romance studies vs comp lit vs spanish & portuguese departments; the interests of professors within the aforementioned departments; etc.)

• Stipend in terms of quality of life (how far will the money go in the city? do most grads take off for the summer?)

• Teaching load: how many classes will you be teaching during your phd?

• Seek out a new geographical location (I got this advice from several people; namely, all things being equal, lean toward a new part of the country--e.g., a Texan to Oregon, a Californian to the Mid-Atlantic, etc.)

• Reach out to friends, colleagues, and former profs for advice and editing of statements or essays

• 2 months later...