Chances of Acceptance After Being Interviewed

Cottagecheese24

I'm not sure what the actual statistics are for those places, but I've heard it ranges anywhere from 50% to 80%.  It depends on the program though and the percentage of applicants admitted one year can differ from the next.  Either way, I would go in with confidence and bring your A-game while you're there!

As far as preparations go, I would look into the research of the people you are interviewing with.  I would peruse a couple recent papers, but don't worry about reading their whole bibliography or anything.  Some of these individuals are going to share your research interests and will come from a list you provided to the program coordinator or are faculty you've indicated an interest in working with when you applied.  Some faculty you meet with could be from the admissions or recruiting committee whose research may differ from what you want to work on.  I would still brush up on what they do and make sure you can have an intelligent conversation with them about your research and theirs.  Be sure to ask questions pertaining to their research; they want to engage in a two-way conversation with you.

I would make sure you can succinctly and coherently describe your research.  If you have multiple, different research experiences, I would focus on your most current projects but be able to answer questions on past work you've done.

Also make sure you can answer why you want to do a PhD at those programs specifically, why you want a PhD in general, and what your career goals are.  If you have specific research interests, be sure you're able to communicate those as well.

Other than that, know yourself.  A lot of these programs will have social events with alcohol.  If you don't drink, this isn't the time to start.  Be personable, be inquisitive, there are resources online for questions to ask graduate students and/or faculty so you can get a feel of the program.

Also make sure you dress appropriately for the weather.  I've lived in the midwest my whole life and I can tell you that January/February gets really cold and there's salt, snow, and some ice on the ground.  Not so much a problem for California, but it might be chilly in NYC.  I would make sure to bring a warm coat and proper footwear to walk around in.  In general, there will be a lot of walking, so I'd advise against heels (unless you can walk all day in them).

I hope this helps!  I know this advice as been helpful for me as I'm preparing for my interviews.

Source: Graduate students/faculty at the university I'm currently working at.

3 minutes ago, gaattc said:

Thanks for that helpful reply @StemCellFan! What is the expected or appropriate attire for theee kind of interviews? Any tips on that end? Especially helpful if you can answer for a guy but I’m sure women reading this would like to know as well.

From what I have read, you should treat it like a job interview. Most guys I know will have a nice button-down dress shirt and a tie with nice pants and usually a jacket/blazer of some kind.

45 minutes ago, gaattc said:

Thanks for that helpful reply @StemCellFan! What is the expected or appropriate attire for theee kind of interviews? Any tips on that end? Especially helpful if you can answer for a guy but I’m sure women reading this would like to know as well.

@Sandmaster has good advice to treat it like a job interview.  I would also mention that these weekends can be somewhat casual and it's not always necessary to dress in a matching suit with a low key tie and white button-up shirt (like business formal).  I think business casual is appropriate attire, which for men would be good shoes, nice trousers, belt, tucked-in button up shirt of a solid or striped color that's not too loud, and a plain-colored tie.  You can wear a jacket, but if it's too warm, don't feel like you need to keep it on the whole time.

For women, a nice pair of trousers (nothing too tight or legging-like), with a blouse and cardigan or jacket will be alright.  Skirts and business dresses that aren't super short are also appropriate.  Flats will be fine in warmer weather.  I would advise something thicker for colder weather.  Unless you know you can walk in heels all day, I would advise against them.

As an alternative to the jacket, I also want to mention a solid-color sweater/button-up combo with nice pants (which is what I'm planning for business casual and I'm female) can be appropriate attire.

One of the places I'm interviewing at has stated that business casual is recommended.  One of the programs I applied to (Northwestern Driskill Graduate Program) has this message on their website:

Dress

The DGP DOES NOT require formal dress for the interviews. All events, including the interviews, are meant to be informal and casual. We suggest smart casual or business casual, but jeans are very acceptable attire. Because of the season in which we hold our interviews, we advise you check the weather forecast and bring appropriate outerwear and accessories. Please come prepared with a hat, scarf, coat and umbrella in case of inclement weather. Snow shoes are also a good idea.

I would be... hesitant to wear jeans, but don't feel like you need to come dressed in a formal outfit.  I'm playing with the idea of wearing something like boots, for a girl, to my interviews since they're in the midwest, and I hope that will be alright.

Hope that helps.

Edited by StemCellFan

As a female Californian who is interviewing in such places as Chicago, Boston, and Madison, WI in January and February, what are appropriate shoes? Also, if I wear leggings under slacks, am I going to be too warm indoors? Can a nice raincoat count as a nice coat, or will it not be warm enough either way? Is it weird to layer sweaters?

What is weather????

Edited by BabyScientist

1 hour ago, BabyScientist said:

As a female Californian who is interviewing in such places as Chicago, Boston, and Madison, WI in January and February, what are appropriate shoes? Also, if I wear leggings under slacks, am I going to be too warm indoors? Can a nice raincoat count as a nice coat, or will it not be warm enough either way? Is it weird to layer sweaters?

What is weather????

Hi I am from one of the places you have listed! Congrats on interviews!! 

Raincoat won’t cut it in the colder temps. In February expect things to dip into single digits/below zero this year. You’ll be walking outside at the place I am from so definitely wear boots BUT not nice ones because the salt will absolutely kill them. Leggings under pants may be overkill but if you’re from somewhere warm then maybe you’ll be more comfortable in that. Definitely layer. And bring a hat/gloves! 

1 hour ago, BabyScientist said:

What is weather????

Shoes are tricky... if you're wearing slacks, I think a low heel boot would be alright.  Thicker, nice loafers should be fine also.  Thicker flats should be ok, but I've found most don't have the best traction and if it's slush outside, your feet will get wet.  Don't worry about getting really nice shoes because salt can destroy stuff.

Some amazon links of footwear I like:

https://www.amazon.com/V-J-Driving-Moccasins-Loafers-VJ6088-HE95FBA/dp/B06XRX599H/ref=sr_1_19?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1514468286&sr=1-19&nodeID=679337011&psd=1&keywords=women+loafers

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSM6Z45/ref=twister_B01MTNNM98

These are more like a flat, but I like the bottom on these:

https://www.amazon.com/Aerosoles-Womens-Ultrabrite-Ballet-Black/dp/B071F41T48/ref=sr_1_32?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1514468642&sr=1-32&nodeID=679337011&psd=1&keywords=women+dress+shoes

Some black booties:

https://www.amazon.com/City-Classified-Womens-Closed-Zipper/dp/B07449ZH7J/ref=sr_1_38?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1514468745&sr=1-38&nodeID=679337011&psd=1&keywords=women+black+booties

https://www.amazon.com/Premier-Standard-Womens-Strappy-Buckle/dp/B076DXBV8Y/ref=sr_1_26?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1514468745&sr=1-26&nodeID=679337011&psd=1&keywords=women%2Bblack%2Bbooties&th=1

For indoors, I know I'd be too warm with leggings under slacks.  I think you'll be fine if you have something covering your legs (even sweater tights or fleece-lined tights/leggings are warm enough in this climate with a skirt or dress).  

For a raincoat, I would check the weather because it can be unpredictable in Wisconsin.  I don't know how thick the raincoat is, but it wouldn't be warm enough if it's under 30 or 40 degrees outside.  I'm a fan of thick wool coats and if you find one that is lined, you should be warm enough.  Mine is keeping me warm right now when it's just under 0 degrees and in the single digits.  Otherwise puffer/down coats and parkas are pretty warm.  Hats/gloves/scarf are a must!

Congrats and best of luck to you on your interviews!

Edited by StemCellFan

8 minutes ago, Bouton said:

Hi I am from one of the places you have listed! Congrats on interviews!! 

Raincoat won’t cut it in the colder temps. In February expect things to dip into single digits/below zero this year. You’ll be walking outside at the place I am from so definitely wear boots BUT not nice ones because the salt will absolutely kill them. Leggings under pants may be overkill but if you’re from somewhere warm then maybe you’ll be more comfortable in that. Definitely layer. And bring a hat/gloves! 

I do second not getting boots that are really nice.  I'm in one of the states you're interviewing in right now and I keep having to wipe salt off my black tall boots.

On 12/27/2017 at 10:53 AM, StemCellFan said:

I'm not sure what the actual statistics are for those places, but I've heard it ranges anywhere from 50% to 80%.  It depends on the program though and the percentage of applicants admitted one year can differ from the next.  Either way, I would go in with confidence and bring your A-game while you're there!

As far as preparations go, I would look into the research of the people you are interviewing with.  I would peruse a couple recent papers, but don't worry about reading their whole bibliography or anything.  Some of these individuals are going to share your research interests and will come from a list you provided to the program coordinator or are faculty you've indicated an interest in working with when you applied.  Some faculty you meet with could be from the admissions or recruiting committee whose research may differ from what you want to work on.  I would still brush up on what they do and make sure you can have an intelligent conversation with them about your research and theirs.  Be sure to ask questions pertaining to their research; they want to engage in a two-way conversation with you.

I would make sure you can succinctly and coherently describe your research.  If you have multiple, different research experiences, I would focus on your most current projects but be able to answer questions on past work you've done.

Also make sure you can answer why you want to do a PhD at those programs specifically, why you want a PhD in general, and what your career goals are.  If you have specific research interests, be sure you're able to communicate those as well.

Other than that, know yourself.  A lot of these programs will have social events with alcohol.  If you don't drink, this isn't the time to start.  Be personable, be inquisitive, there are resources online for questions to ask graduate students and/or faculty so you can get a feel of the program.

Also make sure you dress appropriately for the weather.  I've lived in the midwest my whole life and I can tell you that January/February gets really cold and there's salt, snow, and some ice on the ground.  Not so much a problem for California, but it might be chilly in NYC.  I would make sure to bring a warm coat and proper footwear to walk around in.  In general, there will be a lot of walking, so I'd advise against heels (unless you can walk all day in them).

I hope this helps!  I know this advice as been helpful for me as I'm preparing for my interviews.

Source: Graduate students/faculty at the university I'm currently working at.

This is all great stuff!

I'll emphasize a few things: 

1.) Know why you applied to each program. Seems simple, right? But I can guarantee you it's a trickier question than it seems when you go to actually say why (nerves play a role in this). Know your typical POIs, but also the program's general strengths. Out of all the great programs out there ---and there are a ton--- what made this school stand out? Additionally why do you want a PhD? The job market isn't amazing, and academia is a tough life. 

2.) Know your research inside and out. You will be asked about what you did previously. If you interview with someone familiar with the area of your research you might get asked pretty detailed questions. It's best if you can answer these without appearing flustered or nervous. Knowing your research backwards and forwards really helps with this. 

3.) PIs are nerds (aren't we all here?). They love to talk about their research. Accordingly, most PIs love it when interviewees ask thoughtful questions about their work. Bonus points if you make the PI think. 

4.) Be polite and courteous...to everyone! This should go without saying, but it amazes me how people can be impolite to the secretaries or even other students. Assume everything you do will get back to the ADCOM. 

As for the post-interview acceptance rate, it depends. A general rule of thumb is that programs tend to accept 1.25--1.50X (maybe 1.75X) the amount of applicants that their class size will be. The class size can vary between year to year and often fluctuates due to the class size before them and the program's financials. There isn't really an accurate percentage that one could point to, because there are a ton of variables and differences between programs. Some programs can admit a class size twice as large as they "want" while other programs would bankrupt themselves if they did that. 

Edited by Neuro15

12 hours ago, StemCellFan said:

Shoes are tricky... if you're wearing slacks, I think a low heel boot would be alright.  Thicker, nice loafers should be fine also.  Thicker flats should be ok, but I've found most don't have the best traction and if it's slush outside, your feet will get wet.  Don't worry about getting really nice shoes because salt can destroy stuff.

Some amazon links of footwear I like:

https://www.amazon.com/V-J-Driving-Moccasins-Loafers-VJ6088-HE95FBA/dp/B06XRX599H/ref=sr_1_19?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1514468286&sr=1-19&nodeID=679337011&psd=1&keywords=women+loafers

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSM6Z45/ref=twister_B01MTNNM98

These are more like a flat, but I like the bottom on these:

https://www.amazon.com/Aerosoles-Womens-Ultrabrite-Ballet-Black/dp/B071F41T48/ref=sr_1_32?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1514468642&sr=1-32&nodeID=679337011&psd=1&keywords=women+dress+shoes

Some black booties:

https://www.amazon.com/City-Classified-Womens-Closed-Zipper/dp/B07449ZH7J/ref=sr_1_38?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1514468745&sr=1-38&nodeID=679337011&psd=1&keywords=women+black+booties

https://www.amazon.com/Premier-Standard-Womens-Strappy-Buckle/dp/B076DXBV8Y/ref=sr_1_26?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1514468745&sr=1-26&nodeID=679337011&psd=1&keywords=women%2Bblack%2Bbooties&th=1

For indoors, I know I'd be too warm with leggings under slacks.  I think you'll be fine if you have something covering your legs (even sweater tights or fleece-lined tights/leggings are warm enough in this climate with a skirt or dress).  

For a raincoat, I would check the weather because it can be unpredictable in Wisconsin.  I don't know how thick the raincoat is, but it wouldn't be warm enough if it's under 30 or 40 degrees outside.  I'm a fan of thick wool coats and if you find one that is lined, you should be warm enough.  Mine is keeping me warm right now when it's just under 0 degrees and in the single digits.  Otherwise puffer/down coats and parkas are pretty warm.  Hats/gloves/scarf are a must!

Congrats and best of luck to you on your interviews!

Thank you! That was exactly the kind of response I was hoping for, links and all.