Deferring from Programs

starburst

Does anyone know how the process of deferring from Clinical Psychology PhD programs work? If the reason were non-recreational, like receiving a Fulbright Student Research fellowship to go to another country and continue research on a study you designed - would most programs willing to allow students to defer admission a year for something like that? Would you have to go through the entire process again? I would love some insight into how that process works if you are in a similar position, or know someone who has been in that position. :) Thank you so much!

This probably varies from program to program. I’d probably guess the answer would be this isn’t likely as it is difficult to guarantee funding situations for certain POIs from year to year. 

That being said it doesn’t hurt to ask if you win a Fulbright or something like that. 

23 minutes ago, Clinapp2017 said:

This probably varies from program to program. I’d probably guess the answer would be this isn’t likely as it is difficult to guarantee funding situations for certain POIs from year to year. 

That being said it doesn’t hurt to ask if you win a Fulbright or something like that. 

Thanks! I figured it came down to that as well, although I know certain PIs (at least at the institution I am at currently) get consistent funding for a single student from year to year. So like you said, I guess it really comes down to the specific institution, and the specific POI, and how much they want me to work in their group. :huh: Really appreciate your feedback though!!

Each program will have a different process for deferments if they allow them.  The best thing to do would be to reach out to your advisor, explain that you've been offered *whatever research opportunity* and are interested in taking it.  They will likely reach out to the Director of Clinical Training and the head of the department to figure out how the situation should be handled (if you need to reapply, fill out deferment paperwork, pay a deposit to hold your place, etc).  If the program is funding you then you want to find out if that funding will be held for you or not.

You might be able to find this information on the websites of the schools you're interested. Most programs post their graduate manuals/handbooks online. 

I know that at my institution it's possible to defer by one semester in certain cases, mainly serious medical issues or parental leave. Students who need to defer for longer are required to reapply. I would guess that it's similarly difficult at other schools since funding varies year to year, and faculty typically have multiple applicants willing to start that fall.