American/Canadian History PhD Accelerated Tracks for those with Masters degrees

Jacob Smiley

Most Canadian universities expect that you will already have a master's degree. A few will take those with a BA, but often limit how many of these students they accept in any given year. So, it's not so much that Canadian universities fast track those with MA, but that those without need extra time.

Most of the programs worth going to are joint MA/PhD programs. Many (if not most) PhD programs will allow you to use some of your MA credits towards the PhD, but it's not universal.

McGill has an accelerated track in theology for those with a religion/history degree and if you had a thesis and it was on a similar topic. I'm sure the history department does something similar as well. 

On 1/4/2018 at 8:44 PM, Jacob Smiley said:

Any better ones like the Duke one?

I don't know what you mean by "better". Do you mean better ranked? (In which field? subfield? ranks are ok for having an idea of programs but they shouldn't be taken as whole truths, as many conversations in this forum suggested). Do you mean a better 'deal'? (More credits for you MA?) I don't think you'll get a better deal than skipping one year.