1 year MA psychology programs?

psych-grad

I am looking to compile a list of 1 year psychology MA programs. Ideally, these should be programs where the credits will transfer to Ph.D. Please let me know of any 1 year MA psychology programs! Thanks! I know BU has one...

Edit: I will post a list if I can compile one with all MAs 1-year that I encounter.

Edited by psych-grad

I completed a 1 year at Brandeis University. The curriculum is recognized for research driven emphasis, so you'd be completing a thesis in that time too as an FYI. Some of my cohort (myself included) collected data in that time while others analyzed data that was readily available/ wrote reviews for their theses. It all depends on what you're looking to accomplish in that time, but I would not recommend a master's that is centered strictly in coursework if this is a stepping stone. I had also applied to BU but didn't receive a scholarship or any financial assistance so that guided my choice of Brandeis (they provide a merit based scholarship!)

8 hours ago, Timemachines said:

I completed a 1 year at Brandeis University. The curriculum is recognized for research driven emphasis, so you'd be completing a thesis in that time too as an FYI. Some of my cohort (myself included) collected data in that time while others analyzed data that was readily available/ wrote reviews for their theses. It all depends on what you're looking to accomplish in that time, but I would not recommend a master's that is centered strictly in coursework if this is a stepping stone. I had also applied to BU but didn't receive a scholarship or any financial assistance so that guided my choice of Brandeis (they provide a merit based scholarship!)

Wonderful!  They are both in my area.  My Quantitative GRE was abysmal at 47%.  The average is so high for Brandeis.  I could definitely raise it by the deadline, unless the deadline is March.  Theirs is 158 and mine is 152. :/ My verbal is 163, 93%, and my writing is also 93%... Would they accept me? I have a year of two research experiences... edit: gpa of 3.88 and I literally got my bachelor's in two years.

Edited by psych-grad

31 minutes ago, psych-grad said:

Wonderful!  They are both in my area.  My Quantitative GRE was abysmal at 47%.  The average is so high for Brandeis.  I could definitely raise it by the deadline, unless the deadline is March.  Theirs is 158 and mine is 152. :/ My verbal is 163, 93%, and my writing is also 93%... Would they accept me? I have a year of two research experiences... edit: gpa of 3.88 and I literally got my bachelor's in two years.

Absolutely - at the time, my gre scores were abysmal and I had a 3.0 undergraduate GPA in neuro, but I had poster presentations and research experience so I think that helped. Would definitely recommend reaching out - PM me if you'd like any more info!

On 1/4/2018 at 7:22 PM, psych-grad said:

Is there any reason you're not applying straight to a PhD program?

25 minutes ago, psych-grad said:

I did but I keep telling myself I'm not competitive.... I ruined it by negative self-talk and self-image, in some ways.  We shall see, though.

Gotcha. Nothing wrong with hedging your bets. Your stats are similar to mine though and I think people with lower stats than us have gotten into programs.

Good luck!

On 1/8/2018 at 10:46 AM, psych-grad said:

We also both happen to love Carl Jung, I gather! :-)

Looks like it. =)

Any news so far? I only applied to two programs and they both send out invites relatively late. One PI for one of them has started sending out interview emails and Ive yet to get anything so I'm starting to sweat. I found a cognitive psych MA that can potentially transfer to a PhD at UT Dallas in case this season is a bust.

On 1/10/2018 at 4:53 PM, Jung@Heart said:

Looks like it. =)

Any news so far? I only applied to two programs and they both send out invites relatively late. One PI for one of them has started sending out interview emails and Ive yet to get anything so I'm starting to sweat. I found a cognitive psych MA that can potentially transfer to a PhD at UT Dallas in case this season is a bust.

Good luck!  I got one interview but that was mid December.  I am concerned that you will get in.  It is not my concern if I get in necessarily, only because I have some thoughts about psychology concerning or regarding where I'm at right now.