2011 Applications

NadaJ

I just got my acceptance letter from NYU via email which directed me to login online where I was able to view the acceptance letter. Feeling extremely excited/nauseous!!

Keep the faith everyone, good luck!

congrats! can you please fill me in on your specs? i am dying in anticipation about whether ill get it. everyone says they have like a 50% acceptance rate...but i dont know!

Hi everyone! Congrats to all who have gotten acceptances already!

I was surprised to hear about the email acceptances too - the majority of the schools I've applied to say that I'll be able to check my application status online and/or will be notified be email. I remember applying to undergrad and running to the mailbox everyday to see if I got a big package or a little envelope from the schools I applied to....now I go online and check my application status more times than I'd like to admit!

I'm surprisingly less freaked-out about my applications now than I was when I applied to undergrad, which is pretty surprising to me since this, for me, is slightly more important (and I'm applying to significantly fewer schools) than my undergrad applications. I turned in my UNC Chapel Hill application in the end of August - I'm not crazy, I was studying abroad in the fall so I had to get it in before I left, otherwise I wouldn't have turned it in until winter break! The rest of my applications (UNC Charlotte, Virginia Commonwealth, and University of Hawaii at Manoa) were all submitted by the end of December/early January. I only have 1 app left to go; I'm applying to Fordham as sort of a last resort since the only reason why I'd go to Fordham would be if I needed to stay at home and I would commute into the city for classes; otherwise I fully plan on living in a brand-new city, and I'm more than ready to move out of the northeast after getting my BA in Boston.

Odugrad2011, I saw that you mentioned you applied to VCU too - any news yet? And did anyone else hear from any of these schools yet (UNCC, UNCCH, VCU, UHM)? I'm trying not to freak out.....

Got to love how SFSU has a 7% admittance rate. That app was a waste of time...I wouldn't be surprised if more than 450 actually applied. They had said at their info session that over 700 people applied last year.

Good news is that it is the end of the week and February is a short month!

Couldn't agree more. It was the most annoying application I had to deal with. I would think they would streamline their application process more efficiently, rather than have several different documents to submit. I called to check if letters of recommendation was received and the coordinator said he didn't have time to check. He said he was the only person in charge of gathering all the information and he has over a thousand emails to deal with that day. Are you kidding me?

Odugrad2011, I saw that you mentioned you applied to VCU too - any news yet? And did anyone else hear from any of these schools yet (UNCC, UNCCH, VCU, UHM)? I'm trying not to freak out.....

I haven't, but I just turned all of my stuff in recently. I live close to VCU and I hear that they only let a small number of students in, but I guess we will see! Keep me updated :)

Last application (Bryn Mawr) submitted today! That makes nine... NYU, Hunter, Boston University, UChicago, UPenn, Temple, VCU, George Mason, and Bryn Mawr. I haven't heard anything, but I just submitted for NYU and Hunter this weekend, so I'm not expecting to hear anything for a while on those two. I'd love to have submitted early, but some of my LOR writers were pretty last-minute. Congrats to people who are already hearing back!

Congrats to all the new acceptances! I'm so happy it's another Monday..that means 5 more days of waiting impatiently for any kind of response. I just know the snowstorm last week affected adcomms from meeting. Ugh...snow...

I almost applied to UC-Berkeley for their SW PhD program. The program seems amazing, and with nationally and internationally recognized faculty (despite the small size). GL to you guys!

I have looked over my application pdf several times, and I just noticed I left the "University faculty you have been in contact with" question blank! Oiy vey...I have absolutely been in contact with faculty! I've flown, taken the bus and the train back and forth several times! Ugh. I emailed the admissions director to see I can add this information after the deadline. Thankfully I mentioned who I wanted to work with in my SOP, but still.

I keep looking at the results page for past acceptances and ejections to discern a pattern.

did they let you add that to your application? I also applied to the cal program, but was only in contact with 1 proffesor, i wonder if that will greatly hurt my chances. What is a SOP? now i'm a lil worried :)

best of luck! you sound like a great applicant.

Hi Pumpkincake,

I don't know. I emailed the asst. admissions coordinator (whom is a sincerely nice person), but I think with her traveling for recruitment, it got lost in her sea of emails.

An SOP is a statement of purpose/interest. Thanks for the luck! Although I think I'm out. Someone posted acceptance to SSA yesterday (although strangely, did not come here and report it as well...hmmm...) and I did not receive a call. But these are the "internets" so you never know. I thought I was a great fit for the program, but I have learned my lesson--I am applying to more than one program next year!

Hi Pumpkincake,

I don't know. I emailed the asst. admissions coordinator (whom is a sincerely nice person), but I think with her traveling for recruitment, it got lost in her sea of emails.

An SOP is a statement of purpose/interest. Thanks for the luck! Although I think I'm out. Someone posted acceptance to SSA yesterday (although strangely, did not come here and report it as well...hmmm...) and I did not receive a call. But these are the "internets" so you never know. I thought I was a great fit for the program, but I have learned my lesson--I am applying to more than one program next year!

Hi NadaJ - I must have missed the SSA acceptance posting - I don't see it in the results section. Was it for the MSW or phd? (link?) I don't think we are out yet - hang in there!

Hi Willschn, the SSA acceptance was to the PhD program. Did you apply for the PhD as well? I spoke with the asst. admin coord, and she said they had an unusually high number of applicants. Last year, they had about 100. But I do know decisions have been made.

Hi Willschn, the SSA acceptance was to the PhD program. Did you apply for the PhD as well? I spoke with the asst. admin coord, and she said they had an unusually high number of applicants. Last year, they had about 100. But I do know decisions have been made.

Hi NadaJ,

That is a lot. I applied to the combined msw/phd. Do you know if they have already made all of their acceptance calls?

I don't know if they have made all of their calls. There are at least three of us on GC that have applied to the MA/PhD option and they only take 1-2. The DGS made that very clear at the doctoral information session.

I don't know if they have made all of their calls. There are at least three of us on GC that have applied to the MA/PhD option and they only take 1-2. The DGS made that very clear at the doctoral information session.

I know - it's a brutal number. Well I guess we'll just have to wait it out. what a painful process. Thanks for the info though!

thought I'd add my msw application submissions to the mix! so far i've applied to:

university of washington - (applied in Dec)

washington university in st. louis - (applied 12/6)

university of texas austin - (applied Jan 14)

was told by washu that a first round of admissions decisions would be sent out next week...crossing my fingers! i also applied for a full tuition fellowship at washu that i'm hoping to hear back about in march

i know from friends and acquaintances that i have here in seattle who applied to the msw program at uw.... that uw won't be telling anybody anything until around april(ish)

good luck to all who are still waiting to hear back from their top choices!

i am currently finishing up my 2nd year of the msw program at columbia. i heard back on february 26 via email when i was accepted. i highly advise AGAINST this program for a variety of reasons, but one of them is the high cost. is it worth it? maybe if you're planning on staying in nyc. otherwise, i don't think so. because they accept so many students, the relationship with faculty is poor. also, there is only ONE advisor for all 800 students. the internship opportunities are great, but we work alongside hunter, nyu, and fordham students. bottom line: not worth it at all.

why do they accept so many students?

i am currently finishing up my 2nd year of the msw program at columbia. i heard back on february 26 via email when i was accepted. i highly advise AGAINST this program for a variety of reasons, but one of them is the high cost. is it worth it? maybe if you're planning on staying in nyc. otherwise, i don't think so. because they accept so many students, the relationship with faculty is poor. also, there is only ONE advisor for all 800 students. the internship opportunities are great, but we work alongside hunter, nyu, and fordham students. bottom line: not worth it at all.