2011 Applications

NadaJ

For those of us still waiting to hear back from Columbia, I called today and asked when we're expected to find out. The person I spoke to told me "after the 10th".

I emailed them earlier this week and just got a response now saying that a decision has not been made on my application and to check my email tomorrow and next Friday. I guess decisions go out on Fridays only? Whatev. Somehow, I don't think that will stop me from compulsively checking my application until I get a decision.

I emailed them also and they said that emails go out every Friday until everyone gets a response. I asked if they could tell me which Friday I would get mine and they said they didn't have that info and the emails go out randomly. Rejections and acceptances go out at the same time.

I emailed them earlier this week and just got a response now saying that a decision has not been made on my application and to check my email tomorrow and next Friday. I guess decisions go out on Fridays only? Whatev. Somehow, I don't think that will stop me from compulsively checking my application until I get a decision.

spoke to Lance from UCLA and he said decisions are being made throughout March...then he added that the latest would be early April to know about admissions decision...I hope I'll hear by March so I can decide what to do come Fall...

Have you heard something from UCLA? wink.gif

I've applied to University of Washington, Portland State University, USC and Cal State La... still waiting on all of them.

I am oscillating between optimism and pessimism at this point.

Oh, the anxiety. :blink:

I've applied to University of Washington, Portland State University, USC and Cal State La... still waiting on all of them.

I am oscillating between optimism and pessimism at this point.

Oh, the anxiety. :blink:

Hey WXYZ

Don't worry a lot of us are worried and haven't heard anything! I jut heard back from USC last Friday.... I applied 2 months ago... don't be pessimistic! Processing is just taking FOREVER!!! <_<

I am back with good news! UCLA took me! It is still unofficial because I have not heard from the graduate division and have not received a letter. But I received a "Congratulations" via email by an admissions person last week and got an email today inviting me to the admitted students welcome day :]

It feels amazing to know that I do not have to reapply next year! But I still haven't heard from my other schools (Berkeley, Columbia, UW). Berkeley is killing me... I just need to know!!

Alright, one day at a time. I hope everyone is hanging in there and not going too crazy waiting. I hope we all get more answers soon. March is pretty much halfway over, right?

I am back with good news! UCLA took me! It is still unofficial because I have not heard from the graduate division and have not received a letter. But I received a "Congratulations" via email by an admissions person last week and got an email today inviting me to the admitted students welcome day :]

It feels amazing to know that I do not have to reapply next year! But I still haven't heard from my other schools (Berkeley, Columbia, UW). Berkeley is killing me... I just need to know!!

Alright, one day at a time. I hope everyone is hanging in there and not going too crazy waiting. I hope we all get more answers soon. March is pretty much halfway over, right?

Congrats! Same here, I found out today was accepted to UCLA and I am very excited! But I was also accepted to Berkeley and now I am unsure on my decision...... leaning towards Berkeley though.

Congrats to you all!! I'm going crazy over here though - I still haven't heard back from Hunter or NYU. NYU said I should hear back within 4-6 weeks after I applied...IT'S BEEN 4-6 WEEKS ALREADY!!! Ugh, I just need to know :-/

I have a question though. In general, if you apply to a standard 2-year program, is there an interview process you have to go through? or is that just for accelerated/Advanced Standing applicants?

I'm still waiting on so many schools! NYU, Hunter, UChicago, VCU, George Mason, and Bryn Mawr. Hopefully they'll get it in gear so I can respond to other offers! I had a fantastic interview experience at Bryn Mawr yesterday (I would really recommend checking out their program), so I'm hoping to hear something positive from them soon. Shaakira, I think that most MSW programs don't conduct interviews, but three of the ones I applied to do (UPenn, Bryn Mawr and Hunter).

From what I've heard so far:

In: Penn, Boston University

Rejected: Widener

Congrats! Same here, I found out today was accepted to UCLA and I am very excited! But I was also accepted to Berkeley and now I am unsure on my decision...... leaning towards Berkeley though.

Congrats to you too! I would lean toward Berkeley as well :] I like LA, but I went here for my undergrad and really want to experience a new city/environment.

Congrats to you all!! I'm going crazy over here though - I still haven't heard back from Hunter or NYU. NYU said I should hear back within 4-6 weeks after I applied...IT'S BEEN 4-6 WEEKS ALREADY!!! Ugh, I just need to know :-/

I called NYU two days ago and they told me the wait is 6-8 weeks.

Waiting to hear back from grad schools was definitely worse than waiting to hear back for undergrad. No comparison.

I just got an email from Virginia Commonwealth at 9:30pm today (who knew they sent out admissions emails at night) and I've been accepted to their MSW program for this fall!!! It's my top choice, I fell in love with the school when I visited it in August and I can't wait to start there in August!

I got an e-mail from SFSU today telling me to view my financial aid offer. I got a significant financial aid award, but no acceptance letter. I want to be excited but I've heard of people, from this exact forum, getting a financial aid package but then getting a rejection letter shortly afterwards... Anyone else in the same boat?

Edited by Nia_nia11

Hi everyone,

I had my Hunter interview a few days ago and I was wondering how everyones experience was who had the opportunity to interview. Mine was on Skype and I do not think I did well at all. I am pretty sure my nerves got in the way of my chances but I have accepted that it is probably not going to happen and its okay.

How do you think you did and how do you think others around you performed?

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I had my Hunter interview a few days ago and I was wondering how everyones experience was who had the opportunity to interview. Mine was on Skype and I do not think I did well at all. I am pretty sure my nerves got in the way of my chances but I have accepted that it is probably not going to happen and its okay.

How do you think you did and how do you think others around you performed?

Thanks!

I thought my interview went terribly as well, but I still got an offer. The interviewer kept asking really personal questions and I didn't feel the need to share such private stuff with a room full of strangers, so I was the person that spoke the least. I thought that I would get penalized for not speaking enough but I ended up getting in anyway, even though I didn't answer the one "what would you do in this situation" question. The interview is only a small portion of your application, I think as long as your answers were not too outside the range of normal and you didn't raise any red flags you're ok. For social work programs that accept hundreds of students I think the interview is to make sure you aren't socially awkward or show signs of mental illness that would impede your ability to work with vulnerable individuals.

Thank you JessicaX,

It's weird that you said you didn't answer the "one what would you do question" because all of mine were "what would you do questions". Not one was about me and why I want to be a social worker and past and present experiences. It blew my mind that it turned out like that but I guess every interview is different.

Thanks for the advice. I am a little calmer, but I just can't get past the fact that the interview was so not a reflection of who I am. I think they might be confused with that person and the articulate one that came across in my personal statement.

Good luck with your future social work career!

I thought my interview went terribly as well, but I still got an offer. The interviewer kept asking really personal questions and I didn't feel the need to share such private stuff with a room full of strangers, so I was the person that spoke the least. I thought that I would get penalized for not speaking enough but I ended up getting in anyway, even though I didn't answer the one "what would you do in this situation" question. The interview is only a small portion of your application, I think as long as your answers were not too outside the range of normal and you didn't raise any red flags you're ok. For social work programs that accept hundreds of students I think the interview is to make sure you aren't socially awkward or show signs of mental illness that would impede your ability to work with vulnerable individuals.

Not hearing back from NYU and Columbia yet is stressing me out. It's also costing me $250 because my Hunter deposit is due this week and I don't want to lose my spot.

I haven't heard from Columbia, yet, either, and I'm in a similar boat...USC requires that I respond to their offer by the 29th. I called Columbia admissions yesterday, and they notified me decisions will continue being released for the next two weeks! (Two weeks ago when I called, the story was that everyone would hear back by the 18th...go figure.) I let USC know right away of the situation, and they gave me a two-week extension, no problem at all. Just inform Hunter! :)

I haven't heard from Columbia, yet, either, and I'm in a similar boat...USC requires that I respond to their offer by the 29th. I called Columbia admissions yesterday, and they notified me decisions will continue being released for the next two weeks! (Two weeks ago when I called, the story was that everyone would hear back by the 18th...go figure.)

Ugh that brings it into the beginning of April. I remember when they first sent out emails saying we would find out on March 3rd.

I'm finally done waiting! :) I heard from UNC Chapel Hill about 2 weeks ago and it was my top choice. (I had my app turned in on December 1st so it felt like FOREVER!) Good luck to everyone still waiting-- remember to breathe!