Rejections 2011

Happy to be here

If you're anxious to be enrolled in a PhD program come fall, but your top choices have fallen through, why not give a lower-ranked program a shot? Many of them (including my own) have rolling deadlines and are still admitting students (although funding decision deadlines may have already passed). You always have the option to continue applying for other programs once you are there, or after the MA.

Lower-ranked programs have a number of great things going for them. 1) Many are populated by faculty who got their PhDs from all the great programs you are looking at. Dying to work with Gary Alan Fine at Northwestern, but you didn't get in? Why not work with one of his students instead? 2) It's really easy to stand out as a star student at a lower-ranked program and a lot of opportunities (money, research, etc.) will come your way.

It seems like most of the conversation on this board focuses on the most elite programs, but there are amazing programs and stellar faculty all over the place!

This is incredibly wise advice.

I have just felt the sour sting of rejection from UC Santa Cruz. Although not my top choice, it was in the middle of my rankings. I talked to a prof before I applied who said that being an out-of-state student might hurt me because we cost them more to fund, so perhaps that played into it. It kind of sucks either way though.Off to the beer....

If you're anxious to be enrolled in a PhD program come fall, but your top choices have fallen through, why not give a lower-ranked program a shot? Many of them (including my own) have rolling deadlines and are still admitting students (although funding decision deadlines may have already passed). You always have the option to continue applying for other programs once you are there, or after the MA.

Lower-ranked programs have a number of great things going for them. 1) Many are populated by faculty who got their PhDs from all the great programs you are looking at. Dying to work with Gary Alan Fine at Northwestern, but you didn't get in? Why not work with one of his students instead? 2) It's really easy to stand out as a star student at a lower-ranked program and a lot of opportunities (money, research, etc.) will come your way.

It seems like most of the conversation on this board focuses on the most elite programs, but there are amazing programs and stellar faculty all over the place!

It's a good advice. Could you please suggest some universities which are still open for an application? Thanks.

I don't necessarily know the best way to go about finding out about which programs are still available, but one option is to go to your undergraduate institution, and in the sociology department ask for the ASA guide to graduate programs. You can look up any program in the country, and they'll list all sorts of details about deadlines, areas of strength, number of students/faculty, names of faculty, and so on. Like I said, not sure if it's the best way to do it, but it's not a bad resource.

Edited by davolicious

Could you please suggest some universities which are still open for an application?

Well, off the top of my head I know that Georgia State has an April 15 deadline. They're a great program for sexuality research, and they also have very good teacher training. Akron has a March 1 deadline, and they have strengths in social psych and criminology. I'm sure there are others if you dig around a little.

But I know the most about my own program, of course. SUNY-Buffalo doesn't have a deadline (but the funding deadline has passed). We've got faculty from Northwestern, Chicago, Arizona, Cornell, Wisconsin, and other great programs. We have strengths in urban, family, and in soc of law, but have recently been doing really well in culture, gender, work & orgs, inequality, and medical soc. Check us out! We'd love to get more applications from smart, motivated students such as all of you who are posting on this board!

Suerte: I am open to the suggestion that I am deluded about this, though.

You're not deluded. Not every faculty member is a great advisor -- it's always a good idea to ask around with the other students who is more hands on, who's helpful and who's not, etc. Starting one program and transferring out is not for everyone, of course, but for many it can be a very good experience.

I think this is good advice, as long as you push yourself while in the program (i.e. seek opportunities to present at conferences etc.). I met a professor recently who graduated from a low-ranked Sociology Dept, but found a place in a top department because he had plenty of publications in good journals. He actually advised me to apply to some lower-ranked programs; I now regret not taking his advice. Oh well, live and learn.

Does anyone know of some good faculty at low-ranked departments that focus on the Sociology of Health & Mental Health? I'm still waiting to hear from Case Western. Any thoughts on this department?

If any of you applied to U of Chicago and were rejected, yet received acceptance into their MAPSS program, I would recommend seriously considering the program, especially if you receive a tuition discount (generally they offer 1/3, 2/3, and, very rarely, full tuition remission). It's a great program to a) refine your research interests, B) develop a track record of doing well in graduate courses in your discipline, and c) write a strong MA paper for use as a writing sample. That said, if you receive funded PhD offers elsewhere, I would not recommend the program.

I'm fairly certain I'm rejected at UI-Chicago... I thought I had a really good shot with my GPA and GRE and after-undergrad experience. Plus it was SUCH a good fit. :-(

I should assume I'm rejected if a couple people have gotten in and someone's gotten waitlisted, correct?

I'm fairly certain I'm rejected at UI-Chicago... I thought I had a really good shot with my GPA and GRE and after-undergrad experience. Plus it was SUCH a good fit. :-(

I should assume I'm rejected if a couple people have gotten in and someone's gotten waitlisted, correct?

I'm in the same boat with UIC and am operating under the assumption I didnt get in. Cant really see any other way to look at it with the acceptances and wait listings. c'est la vie.

I emailed the Dir of Grad Monday and she emailed me back yesterday [Wednesday] "We have just finished reviewing the applications and notifying candidates.

We completed sending out the notices yesterday [Tuesday]". I'm fortunate enough to have gotten accepted. So I don't know if they sent out only acceptances or what.

I'm waiting on 5 other schools still! Already got denied by UTexas-Austin.

Just got my rejection from Berkeley this morning (email link to website, always a good sign). Not that i needed to give them reasons to reject me but i had a blatant typo in my SOP (they would've rejected me anyway), but whatever, I've wasted 70 bucks on less productive things. Still waiting to hear back from UCLA (i hold out hope) and Penn State (my home state, come on). Fairly sure I've been rejected from U Penn.

Just got my rejection from Berkeley this morning (email link to website, always a good sign). Not that i needed to give them reasons to reject me but i had a blatant typo in my SOP (they would've rejected me anyway), but whatever, I've wasted 70 bucks on less productive things. Still waiting to hear back from UCLA (i hold out hope) and Penn State (my home state, come on). Fairly sure I've been rejected from U Penn.

There's still a chance for Penn State, as they way they explained it was that they are reviewing applications by batches, and notifying people as they go. They didn't say when they'd be finished, but it sounded like they had quite a few to go through yet.

Alas, I am also among the sea of Michigan rejects. While I might legitimately end up at Ohio State, for today, and today only, I am 100% Ohio State. "We don't give a D*#! 'bout the whole state of Michigan, whole state of Michigan, whole state of Michigan, we don't give a D*#! 'bout the whole state of Michigan, 'cause we're from O-Hi-O!"

While a rejection stinks, I am glad to know. And fortunately, last week I already turned down Michigan and North Carolina's potential offers anyway, for family reasons (I'd actually like my wife and kids to kind of like me, and be able to recognize me by the time I finish my PhD). Now if North Carolina would only be so kind as to tell me they don't want me, then my season will be complete. Well, I take that back. Schools that accepted me need to give details on financial packages, and THEN my season will be complete.

My application status at UIC just changed to "Pending - Manual Review Req" on the website. Does anyone know what that means? Is it just a rejection that hasn't been formalized yet, or is it actually indicative of my decision status?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I am dyyying over here.

My application status at UIC just changed to "Pending - Manual Review Req" on the website. Does anyone know what that means? Is it just a rejection that hasn't been formalized yet, or is it actually indicative of my decision status?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I am dyyying over here.

No idea. I received my acceptance on Tuesday, but the website still says "Pending - Manual Review Req". Don't know what to tell you. Sorry.

No idea. I received my acceptance on Tuesday, but the website still says "Pending - Manual Review Req". Don't know what to tell you. Sorry.

Thanks for the info! Has it said that for awhile on your application? The reason I'm weirded out is that mine just changed to that today. I just don't know what to think!

Good luck with all your schools.

Thanks for the info! Has it said that for awhile on your application? The reason I'm weirded out is that mine just changed to that today. I just don't know what to think!

Good luck with all your schools.

Yes, it has said that since all my materials were received. Good luck to you!

Just got my rejection from Northwestern- knew it when I saw the link at the bottom of the application webpage. While I never really thought I would get in - it still stings.

Sorry abou that. Since I have not heard back from the school, I think I'm going to be rejected very soon as well.

Just got my rejection from Northwestern- knew it when I saw the link at the bottom of the application webpage. While I never really thought I would get in - it still stings.

Hm, mine still says an admission decision has not yet been rendered =/ Sorry :(