Asian Studies 2012

I actually have heard nothing really solid about Financial Aid. I know if you're an American, you should fill out the FAFSA. If you have a B.A., you can fill it out as an independent, even if you live with your parents. If you want the US Grad school loan, you will have to fill this out. One school I am applying for just awards money once it awards your acceptance. So everyone finds out the last week in march if they got in, and how much they got in with. Another school I'm applying for as rolling admissions. But you still have to wait until March to apply for Graduate Assistantships. Do not be afraid to just e-mail your school with questions. They'll answer, and it wont hurt your admission chances.

For future reference, everyone should ask Fell4Ever for advice whenever they have a question. Good news seems to be contagious.

I emailed my departments directly about funding and one of the grad directors replied last night telling me I was nominated for a university fellowship! Don't be afraid to ask questions, I suppose!

They're not pressuring me, surprisingly. They're sending me things - like welcome e-mails and the such - but I've already told the heads of both departments that I have to wait to Fall (they wanted me to start in the Spring). They don't release GA positions until march, which is when UBC tells me too. So Basically, I have to wait wait wait until March and then cry cry cry.

Hey y'all!

Happy Lunar New Year :)

I was wondeirng if anyone else was applying to the Stanford CEAS M.A. program?

If so did you guys get an e-mail requesting additional information about language preparation and plans?

Yeah they did send a email.

Board has been pretty quiet this week. Anyone hear from their schools? Or rumors that they will hear from schools? Judging from previous years, the earliest acceptances should be next week.

I got accepted to one school - Seton Hall - because they have rolling admissions. I'm still waiting on others, though.

Muxinshuang,

Sorry, yes, I mean ALCM. Does your friend also have a focus on China?

Yes, I applied to this department, though not with a China focus.

Their deadline was quite late in January, so I don't hope to hear from them for another month or so.

Do they take care to select applicants from all 3 regional streams - China, Japan and South Asia?

Edited by Seeking

I got accepted to one school - Seton Hall - because they have rolling admissions. I'm still waiting on others, though.

That must be a huge relief to know you have one acceptance regardless of what happens. Congrats! I should hear the results of my fellowship nomination next week, and I had an encouraging response from another school. Nothing has been finalized, however, so I'll wait until I get the official results.

That was me (the Chicago admit). I got a call from one of my POIs today, letting me know that the committee just voted. The call went to voice mail, and unfortunately I don't have any info on acceptance numbers. I would imagine if they met today, though, that they still have more people to notify. Good luck!

Hey guys!

Just curious about the Penn EALC acceptance. Firstly, whoever it was that got accepted, CONGRATS! Secondly, did the contact say anything else about how many other candidates they were considering/accepting/notifying or the like?

Hey guys!

Just curious about the Penn EALC acceptance. Firstly, whoever it was that got accepted, CONGRATS! Secondly, did the contact say anything else about how many other candidates they were considering/accepting/notifying or the like?

Hi! The Penn acceptance was me. Thank you for your congratulations! I don't know about other candidates, numbers, or anything like that, but I will say it was a strange process. I got a call about 2 weeks ago with an unofficial acceptance (kind of...) from my POI, and then just received official notice from the director of the department a few days ago. Point of story, I wouldn't be surprised if they were gradually letting out acceptances? Best of luck!

Hey y'all!

Happy Lunar New Year :)

I was wondeirng if anyone else was applying to the Stanford CEAS M.A. program?

If so did you guys get an e-mail requesting additional information about language preparation and plans?

I also received an email about this.

Applied: Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Berkeley, Stanford

Accepted: Berkeley

Rejected:

Thanks for the congrats, ifindalex!

They sent me an email yesterday! I was seriously shocked, I didn't think I'd be hearing from anybody for at least another 3 weeks. I hope that them sending me an email so early is a sign of good things to come (i.e. funding!). Berkeley isn't my number 1 choice, but I'm relieved that I at least got in somewhere. I didn't really apply to any "safe" schools (I'd rather go get a job than go to school I'm not interested in), so lately I had started worrying about what I would do if I didn't get in anywhere. Thankfully, don't have to worry about that now!

Looking at profiles, I have a feeling that a lot of the programs are reaching out to their international applicants first to give them enough time make a decision and prepare for the move. Congrats to those who have received acceptances already. Hopefully there will be more to come soon!

ailinna, on 01 February 2012 - 11:38 PM, said:

I also received an email about this.

Wow Ailinna congratulations for getting into Berkeley! How did u find out so early?

Applied: Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Berkeley, Stanford

Accepted: Berkeley

Rejected:

Edited by yannao

Thanks for the congrats, ifindalex!

They sent me an email yesterday! I was seriously shocked, I didn't think I'd be hearing from anybody for at least another 3 weeks. I hope that them sending me an email so early is a sign of good things to come (i.e. funding!). Berkeley isn't my number 1 choice, but I'm relieved that I at least got in somewhere. I didn't really apply to any "safe" schools (I'd rather go get a job than go to school I'm not interested in), so lately I had started worrying about what I would do if I didn't get in anywhere. Thankfully, don't have to worry about that now!

I can imagine your surprise when u saw the email... But this indeed seems bizarrely early for a master's degree.... And even before the phds are out? I guess they must want you so badly...