Asian Studies 2012

Hi, it's my first post here. I am accepted by Stanford's east asia program (MA) but I have some really basic questions and would like to see if some of you may help me out a bit. I am totally clueless about this program because I didn't apply for it. I applied for Political Science PhD but was unsuccessful, and they passed my file to EA (I didn't even know that until yesterday). So:

I. I know there is no EA ranking. But from all of you who are more familiar with the field, is Stanford considered a top 3 or at least a top 5? Just because it's Stanford I can't assume it's really good...

2. I didn't receive funding, but I see that some people do. Is the funding merit-based or need-based?

3. Most importantly, do you think this program is a good route towards PhD? Or is it more a cash cow program?

Many thanks!!

Hi, it's my first post here. I am accepted by Stanford's east asia program (MA) but I have some really basic questions and would like to see if some of you may help me out a bit. I am totally clueless about this program because I didn't apply for it. I applied for Political Science PhD but was unsuccessful, and they passed my file to EA (I didn't even know that until yesterday). So:

I. I know there is no EA ranking. But from all of you who are more familiar with the field, is Stanford considered a top 3 or at least a top 5? Just because it's Stanford I can't assume it's really good...

2. I didn't receive funding, but I see that some people do. Is the funding merit-based or need-based?

3. Most importantly, do you think this program is a good route towards PhD? Or is it more a cash cow program?

Many thanks!!

1. probably within in top 10

2. of course, merit-based

3. doing ma in a certain school doesn't ever guarantee the same phd program.admission. in fact, and in many cases, it's a cash cow program.

Many thanks!!

You sure you wanna change your academic field from Poli Sci to EAS?

You sure you wanna change your academic field from Poli Sci to EAS?

violetwky: not at all. If I turn out enrolling into this program, I am still going to apply for Poli Sci Phd afterwards. It happens that the two potential advisors in Stanford's poli sci department, to which I applied for PhD previously, also belong to the EA dept, so I can do my master thesis under their supervision, and hopefully that would help quite a bit when I eventually apply for PhD (in poli sci) again. Of course, when I do that I can't bet on Stanford alone, which comes to the question of how other schools would perceive this EA master degree. That's why I would like to seek some opinions from this forum as to how good/reputable it is.

dudoda: thanks for your input. 'Probably within top 10' isn't very good, I suppsoe... anyone else here thinks it's better than that?

Hey everyone,

I am looking for a 1 year MA in East Asian Studies. These are the programs I have found so far:

MA in Regional Studies - East Asia at Columbia

MA in East Asian Studies at Yale

MA in East Asian Studies at Stanford

MA in East Asian Studies at the University of Toronto

If you know of any others, please lemme know!

Edited by hero91

Hello everybody

I got an ad from Duke university in EAS (master no funding)

I am so confused right now....

1.Are there any rankings for EAS?

2.Is it said that this program in Duke is a cash cow one?

3.Can anybody give me some idea on its ranking? based on your idea

Thanks and wish everybody good luck

I don't think there is a ranking for these schools. I have looked all over the place. I would email the graduate students for their opinions about the ranking and the program, if you haven't already. It helped me to make a decision on where I wanted to go.

Hello everybody

I got an ad from Duke university in EAS (master no funding)

I am so confused right now....

1.Are there any rankings for EAS?

2.Is it said that this program in Duke is a cash cow one?

3.Can anybody give me some idea on its ranking? based on your idea

Thanks and wish everybody good luck

I don't think there is a ranking for EAS. Since it's an interdisciplinary field and involves many departments, I imagine it would be hard to come up with a unified standard.

I get the impression that Duke is more Political Science oriented. Is that your interest?

• 1 month later...

Hey

Since everybody has been through the application process I just wanted to ask a few questions. I just graduated from Wellesley College and am interested in applying for a MA in Southeast Asian Studies.

My graduating GPA is a 3.25 due to a terrible senior fall which my dean is writing a letter to explain was an anomaly.

I will be giving my GREs in July so I do not know my results as yet.

My interest in Southeast Asia and specifically Cambodia has arisen through working there every summer from the age of nineteen. During the course of this year I will be first working as a research assistant to the head of the opposition government in Cambodia (Mu Sochua) and then with the MIT development Lab. In between I am attempting to work a year in Burma as it would be soo exciting to go into the country at this point!

My top choices are U Michigan, U Berkeley, SAIS and SOAS.

I spent a semester abroad at SOAS where I clocked in a 2:1 with firsts on my Southeast Asian courses one of which was a grad level course. I have an A on my independent Study which examined the impact of the AMerican bombings on Cambodia. My SOP and recs will both be very good! I am fluent in Hindi and Sanskrit and intend to learn Khmer during the course of this year!

Will my GPA prevent me from getting into my school!