HGSE Fall 2012

Airwick

@FutureEdStudent, thanks for your input :) This sounds like what people on the old HGSE forums were saying.

I'm never sure how to weigh intangibles like 'great experience' and 'amazing people' even though those things must express something important. On the other hand, I can understand factors like 'incredible network'. So:

pros:

1. wide (and supportive?) network of alumni

2. (for me) department POI who has been foundational in the field

3. name-brand recognition (for future employment, study, etc.)

cons:

1. 20k - 40k debt after 1 year of study

2. short program duration (less time for learning, networking, research experience)

anyone like to add specific & concrete factors?

@bythesea Yeah, everything I've heard is "great experience" "glad I did it" "loved the community," etc. Which is wonderful and I'm glad for them. In fact, the attitude was infectious enough to get me to apply, even after I'd decided I couldn't swing it financially.

But it just seems unwise to spend so much on a masters degree in education. I'm 30 years old, I've been working FT for nearly 10 years (in museums, so low pay) and my partner is unemployed right now. We may want to get married, buy property, have a family in the near future. I'd feel wrong saddling us with 40K in loans.

Your mileage may vary, but it's too high a price for me to pay for a masters degree, no matter how wonderful the experience and vast the network. For what I want to do, I think I can get what I need from a program that's less expensive or offers more financial assistance. Again, I don't mean to take anything away from anyone who's super excited about HGSE. I just have more practical concerns because I'm (relatively) old. ;)

@FutureEdStudent12 - yes, isn't the cross-registration great?! It seems there is so much available, but so little time...

Your mileage may vary, but it's too high a price for me to pay for a masters degree, no matter how wonderful the experience and vast the network. For what I want to do, I think I can get what I need from a program that's less expensive or offers more financial assistance.

@pourtant, you've put it in a nutshell. I need to remind myself of what's absolutely essential in a master's program - and for me, it's research experience and a step into a Ph.D. program. HGSE would be great for that, but you're right, other programs can do it too, and imo, $40k is too much for someone in education who doesn't have $40k (i.e. more than a year's salary). However, I'm wondering what I'd do if the debt were $20k... I might be sorely tempted. In the world of 2012-13, how much debt is too much for a M.Ed., even at HGSE?

My financial situation is odd too: I am well positioned to receive a job offer from Discovery Channel upon the completion of my internship. It's such a terrific company. However, I am drawn to the field education and the promise of using my skills to develop programming which could improve academic achievement. Should I pass on a paid position with Discovery Channel for debt at HGSE? Assuming that I am accepted...

Edited by Airwick

^ I don't think you should pass up the Discovery Channel job offer (if you receive it). Earning income is always better than $60,000 in debt (true cost when you add living expenses). One-year education master's programs, IMO, are only worth it if you receive a graduate assistantship that will help defray some of the costs.

In the world of 2012-13, how much debt is too much for a M.Ed., even at HGSE?

I think that is a great question: how much debt is too much debt? I think the answer depends on how much debt that you already have from undergrad and whether you are planning to do a PhD at some point. Unfortunately the federal government got rid of subsidized Stafford loans for this upcoming year so if you end up taking them out you'll be accruing interest even in deferment which is something to think about. Also as pourtant points out it depends how old you are (20K at 25 might be very different than 20K at 35) and what your plans are for other big purchases in your future (cars, houses, weddings, etc). Another good thing to look at is what is the average starting salary for someone in your field with a master's degree.

I know when I was selecting where I would go for my master's degree-- affordability was a major concern. I decided on the school that offered me full funding that could meet all my needs instead of the school that was slightly better ranked, but required that I pay about 60-70K. Personally, it was a good decision and I had a great experience in my master's program. I also don't think it hurt me in the PhD process either because I ended up at that second school for my PhD. This time around though they offered full funding because it is a PhD program.

I decided on the school that offered me full funding that could meet all my needs instead of the school that was slightly better ranked, but required that I pay about 60-70K. Personally, it was a good decision and I had a great experience in my master's program. I also don't think it hurt me in the PhD process either because I ended up at that second school for my PhD. This time around though they offered full funding because it is a PhD program.

This is also something to think about. Good point, ZeChocMoose.

Have you guys seen this? http://www.gse.harvard.edu/about/administration/careers/prospective_students/statistics.html

It looks like about 1/4 of the master's class hadn't found jobs 3 months after graduation in 2008. The salary range has a large spread, but the median seems to be in the 40k-50k range. So maybe a better question is - how much cumulative debt (including undergrad, future weddings, etc.) is reasonable for a degree with this salary prospect?

Should I pass on a paid position with Discovery Channel for debt at HGSE?

Airwick, maybe it would depend on what kind of job it is and what the opportunities for learning and advancement will be. If it's a creative job that can lead to more, then that might be a learning opportunity that would be much harder to get than a Harvard M.Ed. (And you could always reapply for HGSE a couple years down the road if that's what you want.) But if it's a dead-end job, even with a great company, that's another matter. just imo.

Anybody else applying to the Ed.L.D? The e-mail last week about the interview notification timeline nearly gave me a heart attack (I thought it was an actual interview notification.)

The next few weeks will be long-- hate that we don't get an e-mail if we don't get an interview!

Edited by bemydemon

I also nearly had a heart attack when I saw the email. Crossing my fingers for tomorrow!!! (I'm thinking getting notified sooner is better than later.) Please post if you hear anything! Will do the same! This waiting game is killing me!

Applied for the Ed.M in Higher Education, but I'm quite intimidated due to my age (21, last year of undergrad) and some of the crazy amazing stats from others I've talked to and heard about. Accepted to Michigan, which has one of the top Higher Ed programs, yet Harvard seems to be a completely different ball game.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a student at HGSE right now and I know they want people to call new admits next Wed. I think you all should be finding out soon. Good luck!

Is that for PHD or Masters?