HGSE Fall 2012

Airwick

Lucky! On a slightly different topic, what time is it there!?

Long day ahead! Where in India are you?

Mumbai. You? I slept at 6 AM, finally. Can't stop checking this forum. I get alerts on my phone the moment I get mail and nothing has turned up so, I logged onto my mail through the desktop at work- just to be exceedingly sure. Lol.

I think I got y'all beat with the timezone thing since I'm in the far east (Tokyo). ak1, if I may ask, why does getting into Harvard matter if you've already accepted the UPenn offer. Just wondering.

Mumbai. You? I slept at 6 AM, finally. Can't stop checking this forum. I get alerts on my phone the moment I get mail and nothing has turned up so, I logged onto my mail through the desktop at work- just to be exceedingly sure. Lol.

Haha! I'm placed not too far! Bangalore! This forum is addictive! I check in every couple of hours to see the latest posts! :P

I think I got y'all beat with the timezone thing since I'm in the far east (Tokyo). ak1, if I may ask, why does getting into Harvard matter if you've already accepted the UPenn offer. Just wondering.

Its a psychological thing, I guess. And maybe the ego-kick of getting into Harvard (if I do). When you give an exam, the thought of the result always gnaws at the back of your head till its finally out, even if the said exam has no bearing on your life. I just want to know and get it over with!

Good morning! Can't sleep.

Positive vibes to each and every one of you. Whatever happens next, I am confident in everyone and their ability to do great things in education wherever they decide to go. Here's hoping that everyone gets into their top pick... Especially if it's HGSE today!!

As predicted, I could not sleep at all...I even dreamt about receiving a phone call from admissions!

Here's my theory...maybe no email from Harvard, just a phone call tomorrow first to congratulate us. The email will come after?

I don't know, I'm just making up theories to calm my nerves.

I feel like we should post our stats (or atleast an abbreviated version) along with our HGSE decision for future Gradcafers!

Sounds good to me! It would be really helpful!

At school ... being the worst teacher today because I can't focus at all! ... So nervous its not even funny! Ahhhh .... good luck to everyone!

I'm just curious, but why is there a critical consensus that decisions will go out today? (I don't have any insight as to if they will or not...but I can't seem to identify why people are so certain it's today...)

tut, based on the last couple years, it looks like it would come out today or tomorrow. I think someone mentioned something about the program wanting to schedule phone calls for new admits tomorrow, which would mean notifications going out today I think.

Sounds good to me! It would be really helpful!

Agreed. I'll add my stats to the results survey, whenever we get our notification. C'mon, the office should be open, just send out those e-mails!

Sigh...I've now taken to reading the HGSE Fall 2011 thread to see the time that people were notified last year...

So in case you were wondering, emails appeared to go out around 4:44pm ET and then people updated on GradCafe later. While I'm not positive that they will come out today, it does seem probable based on past years and checking out the time from last year is helping me at least make it through the school day. :wacko:

I'm looking for some advice and frankness/bluntness is much appreciated. I'm on the fence about which MA/M.Ed to attend this coming summer/fall. I was accepted to TC as well as Lewis and Clark Graduate School for Ed. (in Portland, Oregon) and anticipate being accepted into HGSE for Teaching English/Language Arts at the secondary level. I want to work on the West Coast -- ideally in the Portland, Seattle, or Western Montana and Wyoming areas -- but am unsure what a grad degree from Harvard/Columbia will really do for me out here. At the moment I'm open to teaching for a few years and returning to school for a PhD or Ed.D but not set on it and think it may be a better idea-- jobwise anyhow -- to attend Lewis and Clark. They have great relationships with school districts near me and are well regarded in the NW. Has anyone else gone to TC or HGSE and taught out here? Are their alumni and school support networks that far reaching? Is it worth it?

Additionally, I'm 24 and can afford HGSE or Columbia thanks to some helpful grandparents, so debt isn't a big issue.

Would love to hear your thoughts!

I just realized my finaid app is incomplete. Argh. :(

What are you missing? From the looks of their website they will just be starting to look at financial aid packages and will let you know if you're missing anything/what they need. It might delay funding you get, but I think they'll ask you for whatever's missing it looks like.

I never mailed my signed tax return and associated tax documents. I actually received an email from their finaid office over a week ago and just misinterpreted the message. The message also said they would begin review early March and inform applicants if they were missing pieces. I'm sure it's not the end of the world, but I'm eager to know and hope this doesn't delay the process.

I am a student at HGSE right now ...

Have you found that the Harvard program (whether through particular faculty or just the name) has helped you in Ph.D. admissions? or not really?

(... yes, still counting chickens...)