HGSE Fall 2012

Airwick

I am. What would you like to know?

I am. What would you like to know?

Hey PhD2000s what would be a good place to live that's close enough but not too pricey? The dorms seemed really expensive and I'd prefer to cook myself

Hey PhD2000s what would be a good place to live that's close enough but not too pricey? The dorms seemed really expensive and I'd prefer to cook myself

Ditto. I'd be willing to live farther out as long as I can easily walk to a subway line. The Harvard dorms and Harvard properties seem expensive, especially if you add in parking.

I live in Harvard Square because I wanted to walk to classes; I live in a Harvard rental property. There are a lot of events around campus so it is nice to be so close. I know quite a few people that live in Somerville and a few in Brookline (bus/bike), Jamaica Plain (usually drive), and Arlington (usually drive). I would say the majority of the people that I know live near campus or in Somerville. Central Square is another option. Also, lots of people ride their bikes (although you need a very good lock!). Harvard places are more expensive, but they do include heat, water and electricity. Some places also include parking. I know a lot of HGSE students live in Peabody Terrace. They are not the most beautiful but some have good views and they are pretty close.

Hmm so what's the rent like in Harvard Square? I'm going to have to take a pretty substantial loan so I'm thinking if it'll only cost me say 2 thousand extra but realllly add to my experience might as well consider it

Hmm so what's the rent like in Harvard Square? I'm going to have to take a pretty substantial loan so I'm thinking if it'll only cost me say 2 thousand extra but realllly add to my experience might as well consider it

Check this site http://www.huhousing.harvard.edu/HarvardUniversityHousing/index.aspx for pricing. I know people who live in Peabody Terrace, Botanic Gardens, and the ones near HBS. A lot have roommates. I couldn't come and visit, so I decided to go with a Harvard rental because I thought it was less risky in terms of the quality. There are some other smaller apartments right on Mt Auburn and Mass Ave too.

Yes, I am. The classes are very diverse and you can take classes at other Harvard schools as well as MIT. Lots of options! L & T allows a lot of flexibility, so you can focus your studies in the area(s) that most interest you (policy, teaching and learning, urban ed, leadership, etc.). Most of the professors have been very good and I have really enjoyed my classes. I also went to TC and I would say that HGSE classes tend to have more writing and research than TC (although perhaps that is just my choice of classes...). I am not sure what you mean by future development... What are you interested in studying or doing afterward? On the HGSE website you can look up current classes and sometimes see the syllabus. I had a lot of fun planning out my schedule last year :)

Thanks a lot!

For future development, I mean that for now, I would like to pursue a Ph.D degree after completing this program. But I am a little worried since that would be really intense for me since I would have to complete the application within the first months that I arrive there. If I could gain some working experience first, that would be the best. But since I am an international students, I don't know what the chances's are...Any way, thanks for everything~!

I don't know your price range, but there's a hotel near the redline at JFK/UMass for about 135 a night (plus taxes I'm assuming) which isn't too bad. Doubletree

I ended up finding a Day's Inn for $103. It doesn't have great reviews but I have pretty low standards :) Looks about a mile from campus so I'll take the bus or walk. Thanks!

Hey I've been following this thread! Thanks for all of the information.

I just got accepted to the Ed Policy and Management Program.

I am going to open house from Thursday, March 29, 2012 to April 1st 2012. Does anyone

want to split a hotel? I booked the Holiday Inn Express in Cambridge for $94 bucks a night.

We could split some nights, all nights, doesn't matter to me.

PM or reply!

Edited by siva562

Just booked my flight to Cambridge, March 29th - March 31st :) I'm using www.airbnb.com to locate an affordable place to stay in the surrounding area. Dad is joining... otherwise I would've split with someone.

Also, I was surprised to discover I'm 6 years younger than the average HGSE Masters candidate. Anyone else coming straight out of undergrad?

Edited by Airwick

Just booked my flight to Cambridge, March 29th - March 31st :) I'm using www.airbnb.com to locate an affordable place to stay in the surrounding area. Dad is joining... otherwise I would've split with someone.

Also, I was surprised to discover I'm 6 years younger than the average HGSE Masters candidate. Anyone else coming straight out of undergrad?

While I won't be coming straight from undergrad, I'm probably only a year or so older than you.

So who will be at the Open House April 1-2??

I really would like to attend, but I'm waiting to find out more information about the agenda and what it entails. I would have to miss work on the 2nd and 3rd if I decide to go, due to my travel arrangements (it's more than 2x's cheaper to take the bus from STL to CHI then take the plane from CHI to BOS compared to taking the plane straight from STL to BOS).

Either way, I will be attending the One Harvard event on the 31st. Anyone else going to that?

Anyone else noticing that these open house weekends are all at the same time? I'm supposed to be in three cities on this one weekend!

that sucks :/ what other schools will be having open houses that weekend? which one will you probably pick?

I'm coming right out of undergrad as well.

Pourtant- I have the same thing. I spend thursday and friday at Harvard, then saturday I have to bus out to the western half of the state to visit UMass

that sucks :/ what other schools will be having open houses that weekend? which one will you probably pick?

Well, to be fair, one was a trip to a school I'd already scheduled on my own (which shall remain nameless because I'm not accepted yet and I don't want to jinx it!), but otherwise its HGSE and UW that weekend, neither of which I can attend.

Are you guys going, knowing that you definitely want to go to Harvard? Or are there people who are using the open house more to actually make the decision? Like, I'm fairly certain that I will not be attending TC, but should I go to the admitted students weekend anyway, just to be sure?

Well, to be fair, one was a trip to a school I'd already scheduled on my own (which shall remain nameless because I'm not accepted yet and I don't want to jinx it!), but otherwise its HGSE and UW that weekend, neither of which I can attend.

Are you guys going, knowing that you definitely want to go to Harvard? Or are there people who are using the open house more to actually make the decision? Like, I'm fairly certain that I will not be attending TC, but should I go to the admitted students weekend anyway, just to be sure?

What could possibly change your mind? When I applied to business schools, I went to Harvard Business School's admit weekend when I knew I wasn't going to attend. Now that I'm much more mature, I would not do that again. If you know you're not going to attend there is not a good reason to attend. The school is trying to win over admits, admits are trying to make decisions and get to know one another. Don't be an interloper, don't be that guy who went to TC's admit weekend and then ended up at HGSE.

What could possibly change your mind? When I applied to business schools, I went to Harvard Business School's admit weekend when I knew I wasn't going to attend. Now that I'm much more mature, I would not do that again. If you know you're not going to attend there is not a good reason to attend. The school is trying to win over admits, admits are trying to make decisions and get to know one another. Don't be an interloper, don't be that guy who went to TC's admit weekend and then ended up at HGSE.

What could change my mind? Well, in the case of TC, deciding that I don't want to move out of NYC, for starters. TC isn't my first choice because of the high cost and lack of funding, but not knowing all my options yet, I'm not sure I'd want to completely cross it out right now, simply because of the location factor.

With HGSE, I'm now pretty sure that I want to do a two-year program, so I'm leaning toward another school, but I'm also really curious to see how it stacks up, in-person, against the other schools I'm considering. So is it wrong to attend the open house if it's mostly about being able to make up your mind and feel certain about it?

What could change my mind? Well, in the case of TC, deciding that I don't want to move out of NYC, for starters. TC isn't my first choice because of the high cost and lack of funding, but not knowing all my options yet, I'm not sure I'd want to completely cross it out right now, simply because of the location factor.

With HGSE, I'm now pretty sure that I want to do a two-year program, so I'm leaning toward another school, but I'm also really curious to see how it stacks up, in-person, against the other schools I'm considering. So is it wrong to attend the open house if it's mostly about being able to make up your mind and feel certain about it?

No, I was under the impression you were set on HGSE and you were considering going to TC just in case the skies opened on you while you were there and God spoke to you. It sounds like you are much further from a decision than I thought you were.

No, I was under the impression you were set on HGSE and you were considering going to TC just in case the skies opened on you while you were there and God spoke to you. It sounds like you are much further from a decision than I thought you were.

Well, I'm still waiting to hear from 3 schools, and I need to get a sense of the $$ situation before I can make any decisions. I'm certainly leaning toward one school right now, but having officially visited none of them, it's kind of hard to get the complete picture. I guess what I'm asking is...are open houses an appropriate time to gather data? Or is it mostly for people who are definitely attending?

Well, I'm still waiting to hear from 3 schools, and I need to get a sense of the $$ situation before I can make any decisions. I'm certainly leaning toward one school right now, but having officially visited none of them, it's kind of hard to get the complete picture. I guess what I'm asking is...are open houses an appropriate time to gather data? Or is it mostly for people who are definitely attending?

Hi all! Just browsing this thread (even though I didn't apply to HGSE).

Hey pourtant--I feel the same way you do, which is why I'm going to make my decision after I visit the two campuses. It's very difficult to find out all I can just using the web. I like to get a sense of the feel of a place (its aura, if you will). Anyway, good luck to both of us! I'm finding the decision part much harder than the waiting part. :unsure:

Hi all! Just browsing this thread (even though I didn't apply to HGSE).

Hey pourtant--I feel the same way you do, which is why I'm going to make my decision after I visit the two campuses. It's very difficult to find out all I can just using the web. I like to get a sense of the feel of a place (its aura, if you will). Anyway, good luck to both of us! I'm finding the decision part much harder than the waiting part. :unsure:

I agree. I feel lucky to have options but I honestly am torn on which program to pick as I feel they both have strengths and weaknesses for me. :/

well, these are admit events, they are not "enrolled student" events. i think if you are struggling to decide between any of your schools, you should definitely visit if possible. i visited one school and plan to visit another one later this month... these are the two schools that I am most strongly considering, and I probably won't visit any of the other schools. i think visiting can tell you a lot about the school. it gives you the all-around feel of the campus, the students, the faculty, the admins, etc. honestly... it's no different than meeting someone online vs. meeting someone in person. would you want to marry someone you never met before in real life? i know that's kind of an exaggeration, but you get the point. there are just so many characteristics and factors you don't think of from afar that materialize in person. honestly, if the school isn't dishing out money to pay for your visit anyway and you can afford it, i say visit columbia just to make sure. there's nothing immature about making sure (and there's no crime in making a rhyme). :)