HGSE Fall 2012

Airwick

Really? Is that your response? If HGSE cost you $400,000 more would going there be about "playing to win"?

Forgive me for being brass FreedomInEducation, but you seem a bit bitter by people's acceptance to HGSE based on the cost of attendance. Perhaps you should adhere a bit more to the message in your username and let people make the choices they feel are right for them.

Edited by Gvh

Really? Is that your response? If HGSE cost you $400,000 more would going there be about "playing to win"?

Well luckily for those of us attending HGSE in the fall, this is not the case.

$400k is simply absurd and would fall into the category which I referred to as "irresponsible" for me. Since I could make both situations work as I mentioned, Michigan and HGSE, HGSE was the obvious choice even if it will require a bit more sacrifice on my part. As you mentioned, we all have our points where options are no longer feasible. It sounds like HGSE is not a feasible or responsible option for you, but for many of us it is. All of us have different standards for which we make decisions. It doesn't sound like not attending HGSE was an easy one for you, especially since you were admitted. However, as a future colleague, I would encourage you to encourage others to pursue their education in the best way they see fit... Even if those same options are not available to you.

Forgive me for being brass FreedomInEducation, but you seem a bit bitter by people's acceptance to HGSE based on the cost of attendance. Perhaps you should adhere a bit more to the message in your username and let people make the choices they feel are right for them.

What are you talking about? I get asked to give advice to people about graduate school options all the time, and price is a very serious consideration. I have no problem with people making their own decisions, I just can't stand empty platitudes about how money doesn't matter if you are "playing to win". Money does matter, and everyone has an indifference point. To deny that is simply illogical.

Edited by FreedomInEducation

Well luckily for those of us attending HGSE in the fall, this is not the case.

$400k is simply absurd and would fall into the category which I referred to as "irresponsible" for me. Since I could make both situations work as I mentioned, Michigan and HGSE, HGSE was the obvious choice even if it will require a bit more sacrifice on my part. As you mentioned, we all have our points where options are no longer feasible. It sounds like HGSE is not a feasible or responsible option for you, but for many of us it is. All of us have different standards for which we make decisions. It doesn't sound like not attending HGSE was an easy one for you, especially since you were admitted. However, as a future colleague, I would encourage you to encourage others to pursue their education in the best way they see fit... Even if those same options are not available to you.

$400,000 is not simply absurd, it simply highlights that costs matter, and that it is not as simple as things will fall into place, and some people play to win and others play it safe. Those are just empty words. Glad you agree that people have different indifference points - that was my point. Not attending HGSE was an easy option for me if the financial package didn't come through. If financial aid gives me a pleasant surprise, I'll still attend. I do encourage people to pursue their education in the best way they see fit, I also encourage them not to make terrible economic decisions. Your idea of "living life as if it counts" may need some more development.

Fin aid packages come out in a few days! I hope everyone gets a package that allows them to become part of the HGSE Class of 2013. I look forward to meeting all of you in the fall! :)

What are your stats/scores?

Interestingly, I don't think stats and scores have too much to do with it; granted your grades can't be abysmal but my GRE scores were awful and still got in. My best guess is the whole package counts as a whole.

Re: the Reynolds scholarship

I read through all of those scholarships, which are so random, i.e. residency, last name, etc. I've wondered: are they significant scholarships? Are we talking hundreds, thousands, or tens of thousands? Are you comfortable sharing?

Thanks.

lol, what zone is abysmal...I have a buddy who thinks his 167/160 is "very low".

Haha, I do know what you mean, but let's just say mine were considerably lower than that!

I'm still waiting on mine. How did yours look?

Pretty good actually, better than I was expecting. I'm an international student (with a co-signer, mind) so I don't get offered federal loan by the school. I hadn't applied for any of the formal scholarships but I did receive a sizable amount in grant, which is nice.

Haha, I do know what you mean, but let's just say mine were considerably lower than that!

Because US News only ranks education schools by the GRE or GPA of their PhD candidates, I imagine that schools will be more flexible with a poor GRE from Ed.M. applicants they really like.

Does anyone have info on the GRE range/median/average scores for HGSE or other top schools?

Edited by FreedomInEducation

Re: the Reynolds scholarship

I read through all of those scholarships, which are so random, i.e. residency, last name, etc. I've wondered: are they significant scholarships? Are we talking hundreds, thousands, or tens of thousands? Are you comfortable sharing?

Thanks.

I know, it was weird it didn't say, but I'm glad I did. Mine is worth something like 60,000 apparently. Which is awesome since my EFC is 0 and I wasn't sure I could afford the loans. When I got it I thought it was a typo. I don't understand how someone would donate so much to something so specific.

Because US News only ranks education schools by the GRE or GPA of their PhD candidates, I imagine that schools will be more flexible with a poor GRE from Ed.M. applicants they really like.

Does anyone have info on the GRE range/median/average scores for HGSE or other top schools?

Ed.M. students

Verbal Average: 600

Quantitative Average: 660

Analytical Writing Average: 4.7

http://www.gse.harvard.edu/admissions/live/class_profile.html

Does anyone know how many merit scholarships (leadership in education, urban scholar, pforzeimer, etc.) are awarded?

I'm not certain about the others or about how credible the information is, but another board said there are ~13 Leadership in Education awards across all programs. Hope that helps a bit!