HGSE Fall 2012

Airwick

When are we likely to hear about the merit fellowships (leadership in education etc.) that we applied along with he admission application? Or are these fellowships already awarded with admission decision?

The Conant Fellowship is awarded at the same time as admission, according to the FAQ. Since the Urban Scholars and Leadership in Education awards are part of the regular HGSE application, I'd guess it'd be the same for those as well.

The Conant Fellowship is awarded at the same time as admission, according to the FAQ. Since the Urban Scholars and Leadership in Education awards are part of the regular HGSE application, I'd guess it'd be the same for those as well.

Well, there goes that option then. :(

FYI, the Urban Scholars and Leadership in Education awards have not been finalized yet. I just got off the phone with Financial Aid.

I'm considering the TIE program, so access to the tech world is my top concern. Stanford certainly has proximity to that, but as I learned in my conversation the LDT program at Stanford is quite narrowly focused on instructional design. I can build a much more flexible course schedule at Harvard to accommodate what I want to do after graduation (which is not instructional design).

and in terms of access to tech@Harvard:

1) you can take courses at MIT

2) you can do research projects with MIT professors

3) Boston has a burgeoning ed.tech startup scene

so.. at this point it's a no brainer for me.

What made you decide 100% after your phone call? Or did you decide before even speaking with the Harvard prof.?

I'm considering the TIE program, so access to the tech world is my top concern. Stanford certainly has proximity to that, but as I learned in my conversation the LDT program at Stanford is quite narrowly focused on instructional design. I can build a much more flexible course schedule at Harvard to accommodate what I want to do after graduation (which is not instructional design).

Hello3angel, this is a factor I also used to make my decision. I'm fairly sure all Ed.M students at HGSE have access to courses at MIT and other Harvard schools, which sounds pretty irresistible to me!

4) I'm going to be there!!! Let's start something big haha

Yeah, I totally agree with all your points. Harvard TIE stands above the rest.

How do you all feel about the one-year aspect of the program? Are you planning to continue in academia, or look for work after HGSE?

Makes perfect sense, with MIT cross-registration and all. I thought that was pretty neat, myself, when I read about it.

Makes perfect sense, with MIT cross-registration and all. I thought that was pretty neat, myself, when I read about it.

The MIT cross-registration is a benefit of HGSE, but at Stanford you do have Stanford engineering - and it is more accessible than MIT is to HGSE students.

Also, one huge benefit of Stanford that no other school has is access to the d.school.

The only reason I didn't apply to Stanford is because they didn't have a self-directed MA program.

How do you all feel about the one-year aspect of the program? Are you planning to continue in academia, or look for work after HGSE?

I absolutely love the one-year aspect of the program. I don't have a lengthy explanation as to why... I just feel that one year is the perfect amount of time to immerse yourself in your studies and network with like-minded people.

I would love to start an educational technology initiative/organization with people in my cohort upon graduation. If that doesn't work out, I can see myself working for Discovery Education.

Edited by Airwick

I absolutely love the one-year aspect of the program. I don't have a lengthy explanation as to why... I just feel that one year is the perfect amount of time to immerse yourself in your studies and network with like-minded people.

I would love to start an educational technology initiative/organization with people in my cohort upon graduation. If that doesn't work out, I can see myself working for Discovery Education.

I'm think I might try to rearrange and attend the HGSE open house at the end of the month. I have some questions and I just want to get a sense of what the program is like in person.

What I like about it is the smaller cohort size and the focus of the TIE program. I've heard really nice things from alumni. [They also seem--how do I put this?--welcoming to the point of aggressive, with the daily emails. Anyone else notice this?]

What I don't like is that there's no thesis or culminating project and I'm kind of unclear on research opportunities. I get the sense that it's basically like "take these eight classes and you're done." A two year program would give me more opportunities to get to know the faculty, take part in research, create a compelling PhD application, etc. The state schools I'm considering both have several research groups that are really relevant to my interests. My concern is that the cohorts would be much bigger and I might have to fight for attention.

Anyone get their funding package yet??

If not, would you please let us know when you do?

I turned my info in late and I'm worried that it won't get processed in time to meet the deadline for when all offers are supposed to go out.

Anyone get their funding package yet??

If not, would you please let us know when you do?

I turned my info in late and I'm worried that it won't get processed in time to meet the deadline for when all offers are supposed to go out.

I haven't gotten mine yet, and I applied as soon as the application came out on January 1, with a copy of my tax forms a couple of weeks later. I'll post as soon as I get anything.

Edited by im_blue

I haven't gotten mine yet, and I applied as soon as the application came out on January 1, with a copy of my tax forms a couple of weeks later. I'll post as soon as I get anything.

Thanks, im_blue!!