HGSE Fall 2012

Airwick

Did anyone feel like this weekend was the big sell? I was suprised how much they felt the need to sell HGSE...hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. These aid packages are little light. IDK

I didn't attend (unfortunately I'm 3,000 miles away), but I'm guessing 'admitted students weekends' at most schools are about selling the institution to the students. Incoming student days are probably a bit different. Just my $0.02.

Did anyone feel like this weekend was the big sell? I was suprised how much they felt the need to sell HGSE...hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. These aid packages are little light. IDK

Admitted student days are always all about selling the institution to prospective students. HGSE probably needs to try a little harder than some of the other grad schools because of their high loan rate, but based on what I saw and the fact it is a top 10 in my concentration, I have no doubt I will get an excellent education, have a great experience, and hopefully find a job pretty easily due to the extensive alumni network and the excellence of the program.

They are pretty upfront on their financial aid being an issue though. The average loans are 31k or so, and I had resigned myself to that fact going in. Thankfully, I'm graduating undergrad with something like 16k in subsidized loans so I should be ok regardless of that loan amount. Though, they seemed to push they are working on getting better aid for future students at the open house as well, so at least they know it is a problem.

Really disappointed in my aid package (EFC = 0): a grant well under the $12k max, and no Perkins/FWS. <_<

Edited by im_blue

Hi guys! I just want to chime in because I haven't seen anything positive said about HGSE visits yet. I thought HGSE was AMAZING. I had an opportunity to observe a class while I was there and was completely impressed by the students and the level of discussion they had. The Higher Ed program had an open house specifically for our group, which is probably why I left with a positive impression. I liked that the majority of the current cohort made time to meet admitted students, and that the students are who shared the most information. I also found the program director (Judy) and Larry Bacow (next year's president-in-residence) to be great assets to the program. The two of them really are "icing on the cake". Feel free to PM me if you want to know any more about visits. I visited POLS this past weekend too.

Really disappointed in my aid package (EFC = 0): a grant well under the $12k max, and no Perkins/FWS. <_<

According to the financial aid office, the full grant amount and Perkins/FWS are only offered to students with substantial amounts of existing educational debt. So I'm feeling a lot better about my award after all.

Edited by im_blue

According to the financial aid office, the full grant amount and Perkins/FWS are only offered to students with substantial amounts of existing educational debt. So I'm feeling a lot better about my award after all.

Did you get to visit? When visiting I kind of got the feeling that you do get your money's worth. I'm not belittling the cost in any way - it's the daunting reason I've yet to commit anywhere. I'm just wondering how others feel about the quality of the program in contrast to cost.

I can't speak for the higher ed department- I just know the class I visited was very low skill level (and they are 3 weeks off of graduation) and no faculty met with us.

Hi Yumpeh12, can you tell me a little about your experience at HGSE? I'm trying to chose between Penn and HGSE, Penn has given A WHOLE LOT MORE than HGSE. Well I won't have to take any loans so that's a major plus point for me but I'm just worried about giving up the Harvard name. I've heard that in terms of international education policy jobs at say World Bank a Harvard grad would be preferred over a Penn grad anyday.

Sure PM me. By the way, that information is untrue. IEP grads themselves told me that they are actually NOT equipped for those jobs. Now alumni from Kennedy, yes they are. From what I understand Harvard name might get you an interview- but you don't have the skills for the job, you won't get it-simple as that (one in policy and for a job such as the World Bank- you might try and focus your 9 month schedule in such a way to better prepare you, but then you would not have any room for "education" electives. Also, career services explained those that even want a chance at getting a job overseas (anywhere) need to do an internship which is something you'd do after you graduate and thus many you are no longer qualified for many because you are no longer a "current graduate student" and you are no longer enrolled so your loans can't help sustain you. Penn on the other hand does an excellent job of placing you in overseas agencies to get you that experience. Also, Penn there is about 30 in the cohort...HGSE there is about 60-70- and according to the open house meeting none from last year are working at World Bank or larger named agencies- at least that she could think of. I feel the ones that want strong policy and are able to visit (thus see past the "name" part because obvioulsy that is something I thought over) tend to go to other programs. I can tell you those that came from the open house at Penn said how much better their program and open house was. Find the group on facebook and ask them. But remember a name is a name...and I had a current HGSE IEP student tell me "Yes I don't have many of the skills I will need for jobs, I am just hoping the name will do it for me." Coming from a school of education, it is not what we should be encouraging. If you have more specific questions, please PM me.

Also, I'd say if you want a job at say World Bank look it up online and see the qualfications and skills needed- match that up to HGSE and Penn's programs.

But I will say for those who know they don't want to do policy and just want a masters finished quickly and to just to work with international students locally or teach (and doesnt come in with much experience) perhaps this is the program for you.

Yumpeh, that's why I'm leaning towards Penn for Higher Education Administration:

PROS:

1. Penn requires 10 courses with no core curriculum. Students only need a minimum of 6 Higher Education courses and 1 Education course outside the concentration. Students can also cross-register for courses at other Penn schools. As a larger program (up to 45 students), Penn offers a greater variety of Higher Education electives than Harvard. I like having the ability to choose my own courses.

2. Penn requires all Higher Educaiton students to have a graduate assistantship ($8,000-$13,000). The graduate assistantship (along with scholarship offers) can help reduce the burden of student loans and provide students with relevant professional development skills. I needed a program where I will earn a paycheck and take courses that fit my academic interests.

3. Penn (#9) and Harvard (#10) are ranked similarly in Higher Education Administration. Both programs can be completed full-time in 8-9 months. Both universities have excellent reputations. Look beyond the brand and find the program that better fits your academic needs.

What school are you leaning towards, if any?

It's basically between Stanford and Michigan. At this point, if I get positive news on an assistantship I'm after at Michigan, I'm fairly sure I'd head there. Without the assistantship, I'd still be undecided between the two, in part because they're very different programs. Being the nerd that I am, I have a pro/cons list I'm compiling for both schools and they're neck-and-neck with each other.

All of you who have been accepted to the Higher Education program, what did you get on your GRE? Also any advice about your personal statement would be greatly appreciated!

Stats are in my signature. My personal statement talked a bit about my background in higher education admissions, what I think is wrong with it/can be improved, and what I hope to get out of my degree.

It's basically between Stanford and Michigan. At this point, if I get positive news on an assistantship I'm after at Michigan, I'm fairly sure I'd head there. Without the assistantship, I'd still be undecided between the two, in part because they're very different programs. Being the nerd that I am, I have a pro/cons list I'm compiling for both schools and they're neck-and-neck with each other.

I'd say Stanford! Did my undergrad there, their school of ed. is excellent

Stats are in my signature. My personal statement talked a bit about my background in higher education admissions, what I think is wrong with it/can be improved, and what I hope to get out of my degree.

Did you get any money from HGSE? With those stats they had to give you a nice deal. Right?

Did you get any money from HGSE? With those stats they had to give you a nice deal. Right?

No real merit money, but did get $12k in tuition reduction/grant + work study + Perkins

Congrats to everyone on this forum! You have some excellent choices in front of you. It has been amazing connecting with you all during this process. To those headed to Harvard, I'll see you in the fall! And to those headed elsewhere, best of luck and I'm sure we will meet again some time down the line. Thank you all for your positive attitude and for your commitment to education.

Know that this little slice of time we spent together was very meaningful to me. Thank you! Best to all of you! :)

I had the exact same package ($7,500 need-based grant, no Perkins/FWS, etc.)

Well, Stanford it is.

Either way, for those who are attending HGSE, you will no doubt have an awesome experience. I really enjoyed my visit this past weekend and found all of the resources, faculty, staff, students, etc. wonderful.

I had the exact same package ($7,500 need-based grant, no Perkins/FWS, etc.)

Well, Stanford it is.

Either way, for those who are attending HGSE, you will no doubt have an awesome experience. I really enjoyed my visit this past weekend and found all of the resources, faculty, staff, students, etc. wonderful.

I guess Stanford gave you way more? Did you visit Stanford?