HGSE Fall 2012

Airwick

I wish I understood the Financial Aid formulas better. I got no grant money, but full Work Study, Perkins, and Stafford. I wish I could trade with some of you for the grant money!

Jenni

does anyone know how many Leadership in Education awards HGSE gives out?

follow-up question: does anyone know of anyone who won one?

I really thought I heard it was 13, one for every program. I still have not met anyone who has received one. I was actually interested in meeting someone who received the Urban Scholars award since that covered full tuition vs partial. Who really knows what "partial" means.

Edited by FutureEdStudent12

I really thought I heard it was 13, one for every program. I still have not met anyone who has received one. I was actually interested in meeting someone who received the Urban Scholars award since that covered full tuition vs partial. Who really knows what "partial" means.

I received the Leadership in Education award and will be attending in the fall. The award is for half tuition. I also received a small HGSE grant and have AmeriCorps funds, but I have to take out the maximum ~$20,000 in unsubsidized loans and will have to cover the remaining unfunded amount of ~$10,000 out of pocket.

Edited by jacksondietrich

I received the Leadership in Education award and will be attending in the fall. The award is for half tuition. I also received a small HGSE grant and have AmeriCorps funds, but I have to take out the maximum ~$20,000 in unsubsidized loans and will have to cover the remaining unfunded amount of ~$10,000 out of pocket.

There should be Grad PLUS loans also available for the remaining amount up to COA (tuition + cost of living).

Congrats on your fellowship! I think we're all going to have to take out some loans. I'm just so excited about the coming year.

Hey guys -- need some help. This is super late but any quick feedback would help.

Accepted at HGSE (HDP) and Stanford (POLS). Have some financial aid from HGSE but none from Stanford as it does not give aid to international students. Can people who visited both schools for admit day share their impressions and recommendation between the two?

^I was in the same exact situation last year. Admitted to both HGSE (HDP) and Stanford (also POLS), both with a partial scholarship, but HGSE ended up costing less. I have to say I loved that I was able to tailor my coursework at HGSE exactly how I wanted. Stanford's curriculum is more rigid. I also love the HGSE environment...it's not too small, but not too big either. It provides a good number of connections with alumni. Also, its speaker/guest series is AMAZING. Just this year, we've seen: Wendy Kopp, Arne Duncan, Kerry Kennedy, Colin Powell, David Brooks, Geoffrey Canada, Lady Gaga, Oprah, and the list goes on. These people say they are actually honored to be invited to HGSE's Askwith Forum and to have the opportunity to use HGSE as a national platform to make a statement about the state of education in the nation and the world. No other school, including Stanford, can make this claim. Being at HGSE is a rare opportunity, and I encourage you to seize it.

Edited by runnerT