Welcome to The GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

• Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)
Guest Message © 2014 DevFuse

Icon Notices

• [March 2012] February (and January) Stats: Did you make it to the top ten posters? Check here

2012 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

• Please log in to reply
710 replies to this topic

#21 Pitangus

Pitangus

Mocha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Application Season:Already Attending
  • Program:EEB

Posted 10 December 2011 - 05:36 PM

Got a call from northwestern neuro!!! They invited me to their first round of interviews in January!!! So excited!!

Nice! Did you just submit your application recently?

I feel like I'm going to get really antsy as everyone's interview invites start rolling in... not sure if my programs even hold interviews (the sparse few entries on the results pages suggest that two of them might, but if those are accurate it looks like they don't come in for awhile).

#22 fosgfp

fosgfp

Latte

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Program:Biology, Neuroscience

Posted 10 December 2011 - 09:45 PM

Nice! Did you just submit your application recently?

Yes, it was due Dec. 1 and I submitted Nov 30th, and my last rec went in Dec 1st. In the call they said they did an initial passthrough of the applicants and my "application stood out." So I'm guessing they just looked at top GPA/GREs and have only evaluated them so far

#23 fosgfp

fosgfp

Latte

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 09:06 PM

My friend just got an email invite to UChicago, molecular biosciences. Didn't get a phone call, just email.
I've heard nothing from UChicago neuro.

#24 elem3nt

elem3nt

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationMA
  • Program:Biophysics

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:14 AM

1 first author, 2 second author (Nature/Cell/Science level)

Would you mind elaborating how you were able to do this in 5 years while getting an undergrad and masters too? Most PhD students can't do that. I didn't know this was even possible.

#25 deundertaker

deundertaker

Caffeinated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationNYC
  • Program:Columbia BIOM/BME/Biotech

Posted 13 December 2011 - 02:51 PM

[/font][/color]

Would you mind elaborating how you were able to do this in 5 years while getting an undergrad and masters too? Most PhD students can't do that. I didn't know this was even possible.

Well, this is very possible, it depends on how nice your PI is. One of my friend was the second author of a Cell paper, and all she did was one western blotting.

Edited by deundertaker, 13 December 2011 - 02:52 PM.

#26 ImmunoXX

ImmunoXX

Espresso Shot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationSan Diego
  • Application Season:2013 Fall
  • Program:Biology/Biomedical

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:54 PM

It also depends on where projects are when you start in the lab. In my current lab I started at the beginning of a project and I'm 2nd/3rd author on two papers in preparation, but a tech who joined almost a year after me (but toward the middle of a project) is already published on another paper. Unless you're first author, its a bit of luck and circumstance.

3rd year applying and wedding broke, so.......
UCSD BMS, TSRI Immunology, UCSD Biology

#27 fmrp

fmrp

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:23 PM

[/font][/color]

well, as an undergrad / masters student, i was lucky enough to join a productive lab in a hot field. i had my own project that i published as a first author (over a couple of years, of course) and a couple of side projects that gave me a second and middle author paper (in a much shorter timeframe). after i finished my masters i joined another productive lab where i got another second author. also, most postdocs / PhD students i've met in my field have put out many more papers than i have, so this might be field specific, too.

neurogirl is correct for the most part, it's just a combination of luck and circumstance. i had good advisors who put me in charge of my own project while letting me contribute to others, too. i also worked in fields where major discoveries were only recently recognized (think 2000s nobel prizes). sometimes this happens, but i can't say much else other than this.

#28 elem3nt

elem3nt

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationMA
  • Program:Biophysics

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:06 PM

well, as an undergrad / masters student, i was lucky enough to join a productive lab in a hot field. i had my own project that i published as a first author (over a couple of years, of course) and a couple of side projects that gave me a second and middle author paper (in a much shorter timeframe). after i finished my masters i joined another productive lab where i got another second author. also, most postdocs / PhD students i've met in my field have put out many more papers than i have, so this might be field specific, too.

neurogirl is correct for the most part, it's just a combination of luck and circumstance. i had good advisors who put me in charge of my own project while letting me contribute to others, too. i also worked in fields where major discoveries were only recently recognized (think 2000s nobel prizes). sometimes this happens, but i can't say much else other than this.

That makes sense. Most grad students at my institution (Big state U) put out 3-4 papers in their PhDs, and an entire lab might get 2-3 science/nature/cell papers in a decade (i.e. it is a really big deal). I did summer research at a top 10 institution and was amazed at the difference in lab climate - papers were flying off the press straight to Science and Cell. I guess I should just get used to the dominant role of chance in determining who is successful in science, and start looking for those kind of "hot topic" labs.

#29 deundertaker

deundertaker

Caffeinated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:45 PM

Hey Guys, I just received my first interview invitation from Columbia Bioedical science program (Pathology and Molecular Medicine track) at uptown medical center. It was send by an E-mail. Good luck guys.

Edited by deundertaker, 14 December 2011 - 04:47 PM.

#30 fosgfp

fosgfp

Latte

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:25 PM

Hey Guys, I just received my first interview invitation from Columbia Bioedical science program (Pathology and Molecular Medicine track) at uptown medical center. It was send by an E-mail. Good luck guys.

Congrats! What a great first interview!!

#31 hunterbear

hunterbear

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Application Season:Not Applicable

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:19 PM

Congratulations!

Question if you applied to Columbia: Did any of you get a tracking number for application status? My email just said thank you for applying, and I have a receipt of payment O.O.

Edited by hunterbear, 14 December 2011 - 07:21 PM.

#32 fosgfp

fosgfp

Latte

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:33 PM

Question if you applied to Columbia: Did any of you get a tracking number for application status? My email just said thank you for applying, and I have a receipt of payment O.O.

Same

#33 deundertaker

deundertaker

Caffeinated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:47 PM

Congratulations!

I submitted my app on Nov 29th and I received my application ID on Nov 30th. Maybe it would take a little longer for you guys.

#34 hunterbear

hunterbear

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:06 PM

I submitted my app on Nov 29th and I received my application ID on Nov 30th. Maybe it would take a little longer for you guys.

Thanks! I submitted mine on the 30th, and still no response apart from one generic email from gsas thanking me for my application. Was the application ID emailed to you by the department?

Edit: Yeah, just emailed the admissions department. Thanks!

Edited by hunterbear, 14 December 2011 - 09:11 PM.

#35 deundertaker

deundertaker

Caffeinated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:09 PM

Thanks! I submitted mine on the 30th, and still no response apart from one generic email from gsas thanking me for my application. Was the application ID emailed to you by the department?

Yes, It was emailed to me. Maybe it is a good idea to email them and let them know.

#36 deundertaker

deundertaker

Caffeinated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:09 PM

I received another interviewed invitation from University of Chicago (Molecular Metabolism and Nutrition PhD).

#37 hunterbear

hunterbear

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:31 PM

I received another interviewed invitation from University of Chicago (Molecular Metabolism and Nutrition PhD).

Woohoo! You're on a roll here. Congrats, again!

#38 fosgfp

fosgfp

Latte

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:03 PM

Ag! Either neuro is super slow or Columbia and uchicago don't want me. But congrats!

#39 fosgfp

fosgfp

Latte

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:13 PM

Edit: Yeah, just emailed the admissions department. Thanks!

Can you let us know what they say?

#40 Pitangus

Pitangus

Mocha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Program:EEB

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:17 PM

Congrats deundertaker!

And fosgfp I really wouldn't worry based on results from other programs. I saw a result from a micro program at one of my schools posted today, yet the EEB deadline for that school isn't until January!
Neuro might be slow, but I think EEB might be the slowest (but then I think EEB does things differently than most other bio programs).
Considering how fast you got an invite from Northwestern, I can't imagine you wouldn't have more coming up.

It seems that you guys applying to a bunch of schools could end up with multiple interviews, do you think you'd go to them all or would you make some cuts beforehand?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users