2012 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

InquilineKea

It also depends on where projects are when you start in the lab. In my current lab I started at the beginning of a project and I'm 2nd/3rd author on two papers in preparation, but a tech who joined almost a year after me (but toward the middle of a project) is already published on another paper. Unless you're first author, its a bit of luck and circumstance.

Would you mind elaborating how you were able to do this in 5 years while getting an undergrad and masters too? Most PhD students can't do that. I didn't know this was even possible.

well, as an undergrad / masters student, i was lucky enough to join a productive lab in a hot field. i had my own project that i published as a first author (over a couple of years, of course) and a couple of side projects that gave me a second and middle author paper (in a much shorter timeframe). after i finished my masters i joined another productive lab where i got another second author. also, most postdocs / PhD students i've met in my field have put out many more papers than i have, so this might be field specific, too.

neurogirl is correct for the most part, it's just a combination of luck and circumstance. i had good advisors who put me in charge of my own project while letting me contribute to others, too. i also worked in fields where major discoveries were only recently recognized (think 2000s nobel prizes). sometimes this happens, but i can't say much else other than this.

well, as an undergrad / masters student, i was lucky enough to join a productive lab in a hot field. i had my own project that i published as a first author (over a couple of years, of course) and a couple of side projects that gave me a second and middle author paper (in a much shorter timeframe). after i finished my masters i joined another productive lab where i got another second author. also, most postdocs / PhD students i've met in my field have put out many more papers than i have, so this might be field specific, too.

neurogirl is correct for the most part, it's just a combination of luck and circumstance. i had good advisors who put me in charge of my own project while letting me contribute to others, too. i also worked in fields where major discoveries were only recently recognized (think 2000s nobel prizes). sometimes this happens, but i can't say much else other than this.

That makes sense. Most grad students at my institution (Big state U) put out 3-4 papers in their PhDs, and an entire lab might get 2-3 science/nature/cell papers in a decade (i.e. it is a really big deal). I did summer research at a top 10 institution and was amazed at the difference in lab climate - papers were flying off the press straight to Science and Cell. I guess I should just get used to the dominant role of chance in determining who is successful in science, and start looking for those kind of "hot topic" labs.

Hey Guys, I just received my first interview invitation from Columbia Bioedical science program (Pathology and Molecular Medicine track) at uptown medical center. It was send by an E-mail. Good luck guys.

Edited by deundertaker

Hey Guys, I just received my first interview invitation from Columbia Bioedical science program (Pathology and Molecular Medicine track) at uptown medical center. It was send by an E-mail. Good luck guys.

Congrats! What a great first interview!!

Congratulations!

Question if you applied to Columbia: Did any of you get a tracking number for application status? My email just said thank you for applying, and I have a receipt of payment O.O.

Edited by hunterbear

Question if you applied to Columbia: Did any of you get a tracking number for application status? My email just said thank you for applying, and I have a receipt of payment O.O.

Same

Congratulations!

I submitted my app on Nov 29th and I received my application ID on Nov 30th. Maybe it would take a little longer for you guys.

I submitted my app on Nov 29th and I received my application ID on Nov 30th. Maybe it would take a little longer for you guys.

Thanks! I submitted mine on the 30th, and still no response apart from one generic email from gsas thanking me for my application. Was the application ID emailed to you by the department?

Edit: Yeah, just emailed the admissions department. Thanks!

Edited by hunterbear

Thanks! I submitted mine on the 30th, and still no response apart from one generic email from gsas thanking me for my application. Was the application ID emailed to you by the department?

Yes, It was emailed to me. Maybe it is a good idea to email them and let them know.

Congrats deundertaker!

And fosgfp I really wouldn't worry based on results from other programs. I saw a result from a micro program at one of my schools posted today, yet the EEB deadline for that school isn't until January!

Neuro might be slow, but I think EEB might be the slowest (but then I think EEB does things differently than most other bio programs).

Considering how fast you got an invite from Northwestern, I can't imagine you wouldn't have more coming up.

It seems that you guys applying to a bunch of schools could end up with multiple interviews, do you think you'd go to them all or would you make some cuts beforehand?

Congrats deundertaker!

And fosgfp I really wouldn't worry based on results from other programs. I saw a result from a micro program at one of my schools posted today, yet the EEB deadline for that school isn't until January!

Neuro might be slow, but I think EEB might be the slowest (but then I think EEB does things differently than most other bio programs).

Considering how fast you got an invite from Northwestern, I can't imagine you wouldn't have more coming up.

It seems that you guys applying to a bunch of schools could end up with multiple interviews, do you think you'd go to them all or would you make some cuts beforehand?

Thanks man, I would go to all interviews and I would take these chances to travel and take a break from school. LOL

Thanks man, I would go to all interviews and I would take these chances to travel and take a break from school. LOL

Would you really? I am aiming to go to 5 or fewer interviews. One of my friends last year got admitted everywhere (literally-- Harvard, Yale, MIT, Columbia, Berkeley, etc) and cut down to 5 interviews, and still said she was exhausted after. Additionally, my PI doesn't want me gone for that long because of research.

Hey fosgfp, don't worry, it is still early, and you will prob get invitation e-mail tmr.

Thanks both of you! It's just nerve wracking to see other people get interviews while you wait :)

Congrats deundertaker!

UC Berkeley ESPM is really slow-at least for rejections- they don't send them out until April. Lat year, I got my rejection from IU in early Feb/late Jan, along with interview invitations and acceptance at other schools.

Congrats! That's one of my top picks, did you get e-mail or a call? Seems a lot earlier than what I would expect them to give out interviews

Email. :) What program are you applying for?