2012 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

InquilineKea

Applying to NGG also, hopefully I get an e-mail soon!

Good luck! The interview dates are Jan 20 and Feb 10, so there's quite a bit of time where they could contact you. Keep us updated!!

UC Berkeley ESPM is really slow-at least for rejections- they don't send them out until April. Lat year, I got my rejection from IU in early Feb/late Jan, along with interview invitations and acceptance at other schools.

Thanks for the info eco_env! I got a generic email from ESPM after applying that said "admissions decisions will be made between late January and late March," which I read as "sometime next year." :P

Out of curiosity, if you remember, were your interviews for programs that do rotations instead of immediate assignment/acceptance into a lab (assuming you applied to all EEB-type programs)?

IU EEB is the only program I'm applying to that gives the option of rotations during the first year, so I'm wondering if it is the only one that might offer interviews.

Thanks for the info eco_env! I got a generic email from ESPM after applying that said "admissions decisions will be made between late January and late March," which I read as "sometime next year." :P

Out of curiosity, if you remember, were your interviews for programs that do rotations instead of immediate assignment/acceptance into a lab (assuming you applied to all EEB-type programs)?

IU EEB is the only program I'm applying to that gives the option of rotations during the first year, so I'm wondering if it is the only one that might offer interviews.

No- the other way around. The only school I applied to that had rotations was IU, and they didn't give me an interview- but maybe that's because they rejected my application right away. The school that accepted me doesn't do rotations and accepted me without an interview, but the accepted students event had interviews with potential advisors. The other schools where I had interviews don't do rotations, and the interviews were mostly focused on talking to potential advisors that I expressed interest in earlier.

No- the other way around. The only school I applied to that had rotations was IU, and they didn't give me an interview- but maybe that's because they rejected my application right away. The school that accepted me doesn't do rotations and accepted me without an interview, but the accepted students event had interviews with potential advisors. The other schools where I had interviews don't do rotations, and the interviews were mostly focused on talking to potential advisors that I expressed interest in earlier.

Ah ok, thanks so much for the information. I didn't know whether programs without rotations would hold actual interviews or if some faculty would just informally contact applicants if they wanted to talk to them.

So it seems that it still varies from school to school - not that I really mind either way, I've just been wondering since there aren't that many EEB people around anywhere to really get a feel for what to expect!

I didn't know whether programs without rotations would hold actual interviews or if some faculty would just informally contact applicants if they wanted to talk to them.

Even if EEB programs don't have traditional interviews, a lot seem to have recruiting weekends where they bring applicants out for a couple days to meet faculty and current students and let everyone get a feel for one another. At my school, some of the applicants brought out for the weekend have already been admitted (if they've been offered a university/college fellowship of some sort) and some haven't.

Even if EEB programs don't have traditional interviews, a lot seem to have recruiting weekends where they bring applicants out for a couple days to meet faculty and current students and let everyone get a feel for one another. At my school, some of the applicants brought out for the weekend have already been admitted (if they've been offered a university/college fellowship of some sort) and some haven't.

Also good to know, thank you wwellington! I like the sound of a "recruiting weekend," it sounds less stressful than an interview (and is probably even less so if you've already been accepted!)

For now I'll just have to let it be and see what comes along...

There is no division of "sub-disciplines" in Tetrad. Interview offers are made in waves, and I'd be willing to bet a majority of them won't be made until after the holidays.

Undergrad Institution: Top 5 University for undergrad, UC-Santa Cruz MS in Bioinformatics

Major(s): Mathematics, Biological Engineering

Minor(s):

GPA in Major: 3.0

Overall GPA: 3.2

Position in Class: Average

Type of Student: Female

GRE Scores (old version):

Q: 800

V: 570

W: 5.5

Research Experience: 4 labs in undergrad (1 pub from 1st, 2/4 were summers, 1 was 1 year, 1 for 6mo), worked for a year after college at a genomic research institute (5 pubs from this exp: 1 conference poster, 1 submitted, 3 in prep).

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Accepted to national summer research programs, engineering leadership in undergrad, UC Regents scholarship in grad

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Volunteer math tutor to middle schoolers, paid math tutor to college students

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Famous PIs writing letters

Special Bonus Points: Involved in promoting women and girls in science and engineering, co-chairing student symposium of an international conference in 2012, going to Russia in summer 2012 to recruit graduate students to a new technical university

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: certified Russian-English medical interpreter

Applying to Where:

Stanford - Biomedical Informatics (BMI)

Harvard - Bioinformatics and Integrative Genomics (BIG)

Harvard - Systems Biology

Harvard - School of Engineering and Applied Sciences (SEAS) - Applied Math

MIT - Computational and Systems Biology (CSBi)

MIT - Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (EECS)

UCSF - Bioinformatics

UCSD - Bioinformatics

UW - Biomedical and Health Informatics

Cornell Tri-Institutional Program - Computational Biology

Anyone heard from Stanford/Harvard/MIT in these programs?

Undergrad Institution: Top 10 University for undergrad

Major(s): Mathematics, Biology

GPA in Major: 3.5, 3.7

Overall GPA: 3.6

GRE Scores (old version):

Q: 740

V: 710

W: 5.5

Research Experience: 2.5 years in developmental/systems bio lab - did REU and honors thesis in undergrad and now tech-ing. 1 middle author paper in MCB, just submitting 2nd author paper to Nature Genetics, multiple posters and several presentations.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: merit scholarship for undergrad. Honors degrees for both math and bio.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: TA'ed quite a bit for both math and bio courses

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Respected PIs writing letters

Special Bonus Points: was one of several undergrads AAAS asked to attend conference about undergrad biology education

Applying to Where:

NYU - Developmental Genetics

Berkeley - MCB

UW - MCB

Yale - Biology

MIT - Biology

Princeton - QCB

Haven't heard back yet.