2012 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

InquilineKea

Hello,

I've got an account with the rival freak out forum - college confidential - but stalk this one as well, so I figured I would contribute.

Wow! Congrats for so many interviews. Seems like you'll be hell busy.

P.S. Which program did you apply at Hopkins? I got an interview from CMM and will be there on the Feb 8-9 weekend.

Haha I did the same thing when I got an email from Case Western the other day. Unfortunately it was an invite to apply...which I'm assuming is a mistake because they have already confirmed my application is complete. But I did go through that YAY...OH NO!! double feeling at the same time.

Lol. That's funny! :P I hear you. This wait is so frustrating and I feel that I even waste so much time every single day checking these forums and my email instead of doing the work I should be doing. Well, lets keep our fingers crossed!

Edited by Aquasplash

Lol. That's funny! :P I hear you. This wait is so frustrating and I feel that I even waste so much time every single day checking these forums and my email instead of doing the work I should be doing. Well, lets keep our fingers crossed!

Haha I know what you mean. But I am western blotting right now so...I have time to kill anyway!

@aqua - I applied to CMDB at Johns Hopkins, but am still trying to sort out the difference between them all. They really don't make it easy on you with all the different programs between the university and the medical school... Still not sure of when I'm going to interview there...

@kgumps - I just poured one.... It's going to be a long night.....

For those who are interested:

We are holding interviews February 1-4 and February 15-18th.  Invitations will be sent out sometime mid-January.

I hope this information helps

MCO PhD Graduate Program

Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology

Harvard University

Edited by Oopsididitagain

The Results Survey shows that someone heard back from UW-Madison's CMB program but they didn't share their stats. If you see this, can you post a general idea of your GPA/GRE/Experience? UW-M is my top choice so I'm eager for any hope I can get! Thank you :)

We are holding interviews February 1-4 and February 15-18th. Invitations will be sent out sometime mid-January.

I hope this information helps

MCO PhD Graduate Program

Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology

Harvard University

Any information on the BBS program?

Hi all! Finally decided to quit lurking and make an account, and give the other E&E folks some company. I got my first interview invite today, to Stanford!

Congrats! Which program? I applied to the Cancer Biology one and not sure who else heard from them.

Edited by Aquasplash

Thanks! I applied to the Biology home program, for ecology and evolution.

You're welcome. :)

P.S. Check the "Results Survey" on GradCafe and someone said that he/she got an interview from BBS. I don't know if I should believe it? Harvard BBS, PhD (F12) Interview via E-mail on 6 Jan 2012 8 Jan 2012

Edited by Aquasplash

Welcome PrescribedBurn, thanks for stopping by, and congrats on your invite! I saw your post on the results board (I'm assuming it's yours, but even if it's not I'm going to ramble on anyways). I thought it was interesting that, except for your higher Q, we have the same GRE scores (on the new scale).

So that helps me stay optimistic (though I'm never going to completely get over the recent realization that my Q score is a little low and might be enough so to hurt me, even though I know my score isn't bad - I think I've been too aloof about the admissions process otherwise, so I guess this has given me something to worry about pointlessly).

Actually, I've noticed that a disproportionate number of the Bio GRE scores I've seen in the results section are 860. I haven't looked at all of the bio entries of course, and most entries don't have them anyways, but I was still struck by how often I've seen 860 compared to any other score...

Ok, rambling done.

Edited by Pitangus

Actually, I've noticed that a disproportionate number of the Bio GRE scores I've seen in the results section are 860. I haven't looked at all of the bio entries of course, and most entries don't have them anyways, but I was still struck by how often I've seen 860 compared to any other score...

Ok, rambling done.

Maybe because I posted a lot of updates last year for EEB programs. ;)

Maybe because I posted a lot of updates last year for EEB programs. ;)

Hehe, yeah, any reoccurring number is most likely due to the same applicants posting for different schools, but from what I remember there are at least a few individuals in EEB. Plus me. I just thought it was curious since there are so few reported bio scores.

@prescribedburn - I also got an eeb interview for Stanford, all the others I've seen for bio were molecular. Where else did you apply? Stanford is my only response so far!

Applied: Stanford, UC Davis, ucla, UC Berkeley, U Chicago, UCSF (ipqb)

Applied to Hopkins CMM and Duke Pathology. Haven't heard from Duke, interviewing for JHU next week. Was sort of surprised that I got an interview, my application got sent over from Pathobio and I don't have a bunch of CMM's pre-reqs. I'm in the postbac program at NIH and had 2 years of undergrad research, and a pretty solid GPA. Did my undergrad in Baltimore so I know the area. Just FYI for anyone applying to schools in Baltimore, the good part of town is about a block from the bad part of town so take your time in finding an apartment, and if its cheap, theres a reason why.

I'd be more stressed about applications but NIH keeps you busy. I have to FACS 108 samples today... time to go label some tubes.

@eeb2012: I applied to Stanford, Davis, Berkeley (ESPM), Colorado State, CU-Boulder, Michigan, Chicago, Yale, Minnesota (conbio), UWashington, and Columbia. Probably a few too many...

Stanford is the first I've heard, though I know at least a couple don't have formal interviews. From the results page, it looks like a lot of invites go out between Jan 20 and early February. Which programs at Berkeley and Davis did you apply to?

See you at Stanford!

Got an email from Drexel..."thanking me for my interest and we will be in touch with you shortly." I definitely just went through the entire span of emotions in the 1second it took to open the email.

Hi fellow EEBers!

I am also applying to some of the same programs as you guys (Stanford, Davis, Berkeley (IB), UCSD (Scripps), WHOI/MIT, UVa, Harvard). I haven't heard from Stanford yet, so of course I'm totally panicked! I only have one application left, I can't wait till that's over.

First invite from Michigan State! Finally I have something meaningful to focus on/prepare for.

Good luck to eeb2012, PrescribedBurn, and eakmurphy with all of your schools! Hopefully more programs will get rolling soon.

I kind of feel like a slacker now with only three schools, but then again I was really nit-picky with fit so I don't know where else I would have applied at this point.

This just came in! Woohoo!

"The admissions committee for the graduate program in Molecules, Cells and Organisms in the Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology is pleased to invite you to visit Harvard University in Cambridge, MA for an interview and to participate in our on-campus recruitment events.

Your visit is scheduled for Wednesday afternoon, February 15 through Saturday morning, February 18."

This just came in! Woohoo!

"The admissions committee for the graduate program in Molecules, Cells and Organisms in the Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology is pleased to invite you to visit Harvard University in Cambridge, MA for an interview and to participate in our on-campus recruitment events.

Your visit is scheduled for Wednesday afternoon, February 15 through Saturday morning, February 18."

YAY! Me too! Although they offered me Feb 1st through the 4th, but I am otherwise interviewing elsewhere :( - so, i'll see you on the 15th! cheers