2012 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

InquilineKea

Since I've already got one interview, I'm at peace. Any further positive responses are just icing on the cake.

Yeah, I did the same. Only applied to schools that I would go to without reservation. I also have "one" interview and in case I get accepted, I will be the most content person in the world. Something's better than nothing. Good luck again! ;)

I think it depends. If you get rejected and know you're going somewhere else, then that might be a bit awkward (unless you got along REALLY well with the POI and hope to either collaborate with them in the future or if there's some indication they'd be willing to mentor you in the future)... but if you got rejected from all your schools and you intend on reapplying, it might be worth it? I don't know. :P

I actually didn't apply to Cold Spring Harbor - I heard about the interviews from a friend, and I couldn't remember the exact number - just that it was obscene :P

I've only applied to one program this year; if I don't get in, I'm casting a wider net next year :]

Has anyone else gotten any e-mails to the effect of "We're thinking about inviting you to interview but this isn't an invite yet"? I've gotten two, one that wanted to talk on the phone, another asking if I was still interested in the program (uh, of course, I applied didn't I?) and if I would come to the recruiting event if invited. It's very annoying- you think you've got news but actually you have to wait longer.

Has anyone else gotten any e-mails to the effect of "We're thinking about inviting you to interview but this isn't an invite yet"? I've gotten two, one that wanted to talk on the phone, another asking if I was still interested in the program (uh, of course, I applied didn't I?) and if I would come to the recruiting event if invited. It's very annoying- you think you've got news but actually you have to wait longer.

Were these emails from potential advisors or just members of the ad comm? I've heard of potential advisors contacting applicants before making their recommendations to the ad comm (at programs where applicants join labs immediately and faculty recommendations therefore make acceptance likely) to get an idea of whether the applicant would actually attend if invited/accepted. A professor looking for new students obviously wants to recommend people who would seriously consider joining the program if accepted, else the professor be left empty handed unless s/he had the chance to go back to the applicant pool.

Of course, most people don't apply to schools they wouldn't even consider, but it does seem that people with multiple invites sometimes decline some of their choices (either officially or just mentally) once they've heard from their top schools. This can even be a logistics thing if an applicant just doesn't have the time to attend many interviews.

I suppose ad comms might do the same thing if they're trying to cut down on their invites for financial reasons or whatever.

In any case I would take it as a good sign and just let them know you're still considering them if you are.

Edited by Pitangus

When do you start giving up on programs? I'm yet to hear from Yale, Duke or Chicago (and Cornell, but the deadline was about a month later, so they can have some grace period for now) and kind of feel like it's probably the end of the road.

Realistic or pessimistic?

I've decided to basically count as a no any school that I haven't heard from by 2 weeks before the last interview date. For me, that means that Yale is definitely out and UMASS Worcester and Cornell are also probably out. I have no idea what's going on with my other schools but I still have hope for Dartmouth PEMM at least. Their deadline wasn't until January 15 and I haven't heard of ANYONE getting an interview from them yet. I'd really like to have more than one interview when all is said and done but I'll be grateful for what I've already got regardless.

Anyone heard from Harvard BPH-PhD?

Ah, finally another person who applied to the same program. Hi!

The results section show 4 or 5 people who received interview invites in mid-december. I think the interview date is Jan 26-27, so at this point, I'm assuming the worst.

On the plus side, I finally managed to call the department a week ago, and was told that they were still reviewing apps, and hadn't made a final decision on interview invites. Quite honestly, I'm not sure what to make of it.

My new question is, do you thank them if you get rejected? I'm not trying to get out of being a "decent human being", but I haven't heard of sending thank you notes until recently and don't want to create an awkward situation.

I thanked my POI at IU for staying in contact with me throughout the application season. I really appreciated that s/he explained this year's interview situation to me ahead of time so I won't be blindsided when the rejection comes.

Plus I believe in leaving doors open; it never hurts to have good connections.

So overall I don't think it's ever a bad idea to send a quick thank you email to someone who sent information or had a conversation with you. If a professor is too busy to spend a minute reading it, then s/he will just ignore it, oh well. But professors who do read will at least know their effort was appreciated.

I would only send a handwritten note to someone who clearly went above and beyond to help (like if I was invited to meet him/her in person outside of an official interview), but that's just me.

Edited by Pitangus

When do you start giving up on programs? I'm yet to hear from Yale, Duke or Chicago (and Cornell, but the deadline was about a month later, so they can have some grace period for now) and kind of feel like it's probably the end of the road.

Realistic or pessimistic?

Depends? I've been frantically checking the interview dates forum/this one to see if people have gotten invites yet. I also applied to Yale (neuro) and have not heard from them, but as far as I can tell nobody else has either (neuroscience interviews on Feb 17th anyways, so there's still time by the 2-week rule mentioned above). Same for MIT and UC Berkeley. But yeah...check and see if people have already heard from your program, dude!

I thanked my POI at IU for staying in contact with me throughout the application season. I really appreciated that s/he explained this year's interview situation to me ahead of time so I won't be blindsided when the rejection comes.

Plus I believe in leaving doors open; it never hurts to have good connections.

So overall I don't think it's ever a bad idea to send a quick thank you email to someone who sent information or had a conversation with you. If a professor is too busy to spend a minute reading it, then s/he will just ignore it, oh well. But professors who do read will at least know their effort was appreciated.

I would only send a handwritten note to someone who clearly went above and beyond to help (like if I was invited to meet him/her in person outside of an official interview), but that's just me.

Sorry, but I thought you said a while back that you wrote cards to all of them?

I just bought a pack of thank you cards and plan on packing them with my luggage.

I just bought a pack of thank you cards and plan on packing them with my luggage.

Hmm, unless one of my other posts was unclear, that wasn't me; I don't remember posting about thank yous or cards previously.

I've contacted all of my POIs by email or phone because I'm in EEB, but that was before applications. I only have a few POIs anyways, unless I end up talking to other professors at my interview.

Edited by Pitangus

Depends? I've been frantically checking the interview dates forum/this one to see if people have gotten invites yet. I also applied to Yale (neuro) and have not heard from them, but as far as I can tell nobody else has either (neuroscience interviews on Feb 17th anyways, so there's still time by the 2-week rule mentioned above). Same for MIT and UC Berkeley. But yeah...check and see if people have already heard from your program, dude!

I am also still waiting to hear from Yale-neuro. I emailed the department a week ago, and have yet to receive a response. I'm considering (/hoping!) that to mean they are still deliberating, as I'm sure they would have notified me by now if all invites have been sent.

I was the one (one of the ones?) with the thank-you cards :P

Hi everyone. Does anyone know if interviews are par for the course for everyone applying to grad school? I have been hearing so much about interviews but am unsure if my area of focus even has them. I also got accepted into one school without an interview or attending a recruiting weekend. For the other schools, I either met with or had extended e-mail exchanges with my POIs well before applications were even due so I don't know if I will have another 'interview' with them. Sorry if this seems like grad school 1-0-1 but I am just so unsure about what to expect.

Angie - it's par for the course as far as biomedical sciences go. For "plain" bio programs I've seen a bit of each. Some with interviews, some without. For some, you may indeed visit but there isn't a recruitment weekend as you basically work something out with your POI (and this sounds like what you have been doing).

Ah, finally another person who applied to the same program. Hi!

The results section show 4 or 5 people who received interview invites in mid-december. I think the interview date is Jan 26-27, so at this point, I'm assuming the worst.

On the plus side, I finally managed to call the department a week ago, and was told that they were still reviewing apps, and hadn't made a final decision on interview invites. Quite honestly, I'm not sure what to make of it.

Hi! Yes I too am assuming the worst after seeing the results survey. I have sent them mails but no replies. Do they have different interview dates for skype interviews? Any idea? Coz all the guys who got the invite are from US...so I presume for face-to-face interviews!