2012 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

InquilineKea

Who else is waiting to hear results from Harvard neuro??

hi fosgfp, the interview weekend for neuro applicants was last week. sorry for the bad news

Depends? I've been frantically checking the interview dates forum/this one to see if people have gotten invites yet. I also applied to Yale (neuro) and have not heard from them, but as far as I can tell nobody else has either (neuroscience interviews on Feb 17th anyways, so there's still time by the 2-week rule mentioned above). Same for MIT and UC Berkeley. But yeah...check and see if people have already heard from your program, dude!

the yale neuro invites were sent out (at least for me) Jan 9th, and if you check the results survey they are sent out for others on Jan 4-5th. I'm assuming that is all of them.

Edited by HopfieldNet

the yale neuro invites were sent out (at least for me) Jan 9th, and if you check the results survey they are sent out for others on Jan 4-5th. I'm assuming that is all of them.

HopfieldNet--did you receive an official email from the BBS department on that date? I received an email after that date (1/11/12) from the department stating that my application "has been made available to your program for review," so I assumed the official invites had not been sent out yet. Thanks!

I called Stanford BioE this week, and they said invites should be all sent out by the end of the week. The grad coordinator invited me to call next week if I don't hear anything to make sure nothing was missed, but it's 99% if you don't hear this week, you didn't get an invite.

I haven't gotten an invite yet, and seeing how it's Thursday.. well.. who knows. At least I still have my top-choice interview to hold on to :D

Got a response to my status-request email from University of Texas Southwestern Basic Sciences Division today:

"Thank you for your application. Your file has been reviewed and is currently in the HOLD status while we complete review of all applicants. In about 10 days, we will re-review all applications in that category and hope to move some into the INTERVIEW category."

I also got rejected from UCSF IPQB today 1/26. The funny thing is that they rejected me on 1/19 too. Man, are they just rubbing it in or what? lol

HopfieldNet--did you receive an official email from the BBS department on that date? I received an email after that date (1/11/12) from the department stating that my application "has been made available to your program for review," so I assumed the official invites had not been sent out yet. Thanks!

i believe everyone received that email from the bbs program because they did it by mistake. i got a phone call for interview, then the official email invite a few days later, and that was all before i got the email saying "... your program for review". the interview weekend they had planned is on the second week of february, so i dont think they will send anymore.

I know! I was there! I meant waiting to hear on acceptances post interview :)

ooh ok me too :). good luck to you!

Edited by HopfieldNet

Got an email about an admission to UC Riverside GGG today. I am surprised because I thought I would be rejected as well. I got rejected from UC Davis BMCDB, UW GS, City of Hope, UMICH PIBS, and UCSF tetrad so far. Now for my real problem. I have an interview weekend conflict. I am invited to three interview UC Riverside on Feb 24-25 weekend, ASU on either Feb 24-25 or March 2-3 ( I chose the March 2-3), and recently Washington State University MolecularBios also on March 2-3. WSU only have this weekend and they are not doing any other interview dates. So I am stuck from choosing between going to ASU or WSU on March 2-3. Remember ASU has Feb 24-25 also but I want to go to UC Riverside on that dates. What should I do? Have people forced to skip one of their interview school because of the date conflict. Ah so stressful, what to do now...any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks

Got 3 interviews from UNLV Life Sci, ASU MCB, and OHSU Biol. Are these schools considered elite schools? I am wondering if there programs is comparable to the top 20 Schools. I have not heard from the top tier schools that I have applied to and got rejected from UW GS, UC Davis BMCDB, City of Hope, and UMich Pibs.

Got my first admit to USC Pharmacology :D

Undergrad: 3.97 large public research university (3 years)

Grad: bs/ms at same place

GRE: 167Q/170V/5.5W

Research: almost 4 years on pharmacology/detection research, 2 of my own projects, no pubs

LORs: PI, postdoc, and philosophy professor lol...I guess the last one is unorthodox but I don't think it has hurt me so far

Got an email about an admission to UC Riverside GGG today. I am surprised because I thought I would be rejected as well. I got rejected from UC Davis BMCDB, UW GS, City of Hope, UMICH PIBS, and UCSF tetrad so far. Now for my real problem. I have an interview weekend conflict. I am invited to three interview UC Riverside on Feb 24-25 weekend, ASU on either Feb 24-25 or March 2-3 ( I chose the March 2-3), and recently Washington State University MolecularBios also on March 2-3. WSU only have this weekend and they are not doing any other interview dates. So I am stuck from choosing between going to ASU or WSU on March 2-3. Remember ASU has Feb 24-25 also but I want to go to UC Riverside on that dates. What should I do? Have people forced to skip one of their interview school because of the date conflict. Ah so stressful, what to do now...any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks

decide which programs you most want to go to and setp up interviews there during the interview dates. For others, try to get an interview at a different time. though if you already rsvp'ed for interviews it might be too late to change you mind.

Oh to clarify about UC Riverside, I am not admitted yet. But receive an email saying that the Admission Committee has voted to recommend me for admission to the graduate Dean. So does this mean I am 90% in for UC Riverside GGG program?

Is it pre or post interview? For the rejection I got, it was stated that the committee "has decided not to recommend your application for admission", pre-interview.

If it's post-interview I would imagine you're good so long as you didn't puke on the dean during your visit.

Got an interview at Michigan EEB. Which is cool, except for the fact that it causes a conflict. I would just go with the first invite and better program except for the issue that the first school is both local for me and my undergrad school...can't decide which would be more important to be present for the official weekend. Better fit, or school that I've never been to and know less about?

Also, I have another situation that I thought I'd ask you all your opinion on. Back in December, pre-application, I had a really great phone chat with a POI at a school that does not do official interviews but recommends visiting. At the end of the phone call, the POI invited me to visit, talking about the funds available for travel, taking me out to dinner, etc. I was really excited. Well, not long after the call, I e-mailed him to make arrangements to visit, and I never heard back. I sent a follow up email more recently, and still no response. He'd been very timely in responding to emails in the fall. The phone call was pre-application, but my application is pretty solid, no red flags. I really like this school and was looking forward to visiting, and now I don't know what to do. Wait it out? Email again or call? I'm leaning towards just waiting but it's pretty frustrating.

@PrescribedBurn : I am in the same situation as you. I have a conflict with my interview too. I cannot decide to go to either ASU MCB or WSU Mole Biosc both on March 2-3 weekend. What should I do. WSU has only this weekend and ASU has Feb 24 but I too have another interview on that weekend. Does other people have interview conflict? If so,how do you resolve it?

I have not heard from the top tier schools that I have applied to and got rejected from UW GS, UC Davis BMCDB, City of Hope, and UMich Pibs.

@timt99

Did you hear officially from UC Davis about the rejection or did you call/e-mail the coordinator?

Edited by jayeyesee

Long time "lurker" and first time poster. I am wondering if anyone has an opinion on my situation...I received an unofficial email from a PI I met with earlier in the fall asking me if I was still interested in joining his lab and gave me the dates of the recruitment weekend at the end of February. He said I should be hearing from someone from the program soon with an official invite, but no official invite has shown up after almost a month after talking with him. Should I continue to wait for an official email or email someone in the department to ask about an official invite?

Edited by biochick89

Hi all!

I have been more than slightly intimidated by the other stats posted here, so have just been a lurker. HOWEVER, as the good news rolls in, here is my info. Perhaps this will encourage other "square pegs" out there:

Undergrad Institution: Univ of Colorado (class of 1991!) + post-bac California Junior College (2009-2011)

Major(s): Finance

Minor(s): International Business

GPA in Major: Undergrad: not really relevant or even calculated, but VERY poor. JC: 4.0

Overall GPA: Undergrad: 2.7. JC: 4.0

Type of Student: Domestic, "mature" female

GRE Scores (old version):

Q: 770 / 87%

V: 670 / 95%

W: 4.5 / 67%

Biology subject: 820 / 91%

Research Experience: Very minimal. No publications. No presentations.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Biology tutor at the junior college. Heavy computer skills.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: 10 years of corporate IT, including senior-level management. Demonstrated ability to self-teach and desire to push myself.

Special Bonus Points: All LORs were extremely strong, with 1 LOR from successful PI at Big Name U, but in tangentially related field.

Applying to Where:

USC (MEB)

U of Miami (Rosenstiel, MBF)

U of Texas, Austin (Marine Science)

And, the great news is that I have received invites to ALL THREE PROGRAMS! :-)

Hi Business2Biology,

When did you hear from USC (MEB)? That is the only school I have not heard from and am feeling a bit nervous about!

Thanks!