2012 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

InquilineKea

For situations like this, are schools generally prepared to offer all 60 people acceptances if they deserve them? Presumably, there is something "wrong" with the 4 who weren't extended offers. Frequently people suggest that some folks simply didn't match up to their statements or had an interesting story like vomiting on a professor's carpet. I'm sure not every interview weekend is this exciting. So is it sometimes actually a matter of not accepting the 4 least qualified candidates?

Yes, I think Tetrad would have been prepared to offer all 60 interviewees admission. (Admitting only 56 students, as opposed to all 60, would not have resulted in a more "manageable" class size.) I met three of the students who were not admitted last year. One of them did not make an effort to seem interested in the program, and the other two were lovely people who, well, just seemed a bit unready to embark on graduate studies.

greenertea, I was told by a professor on the admissions committee that their meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, so don't worry if you haven't heard back before then!

Good luck, and I hope you enjoyed your visit! :)

Thanks! I did enjoy it :)

For anyone who is applying for Scripps / TSRI:

"At this point, the admissions committee is still in the process of making their decisions of who will be admitted into the program as we received over 700 applications. You will receive an email stating the interview schedule no later than the end of February if you are chosen for an interview. If not, you will receive a decline email sometime in April."

For anyone who is applying for Scripps / TSRI:

"At this point, the admissions committee is still in the process of making their decisions of who will be admitted into the program as we received over 700 applications. You will receive an email stating the interview schedule no later than the end of February if you are chosen for an interview. If not, you will receive a decline email sometime in April."

THat's kind of crappy - why don't they send the rejections for interviews with the acceptances?

Hi all,

Just got an official acceptance from UC Riverside GGG program. This is great news considering all the rejections I have from UCD BMDB, Stanford Bioscience, UMich Pibs, UW GS, City of Hope, UCI CMB, and UCLA Access. Now come the real decision. How long do you have to accept their offer of admission? Can you technically wait until April 15 deadline? Will the funds ran out if I waited until April 15 to accept their offers. Please sincerely fill me in on this. Thanks

Yes. There is something called the Council of Graduate Schools which ensures your right to take your time deciding up until April 15th. A school might contact you to encourage your acceptance, but they don't have the right to apply any actual pressure.

rejection mail by Stanford BioE... sad, this was my top choice..

Your application for admission to the graduate program in the Department

of Bioengineering at Stanford University has been carefully reviewed by

the Admissions Committee. I regret to inform you that the department is

not able to admit you to our program.

The number of applicants for graduate study in Bioengineering vastly

exceeded the number of those whom we could admit. We received a large

number of applications from highly qualified individuals like yourself

and we are only able to accept and offer support to a limited number of

students each year.

Thank you for your interest in our program. I wish you every success in

your future endeavors.

@Virion

So you mean I can wait until April 15 to accept their offer? And they cannot refute their offer to me until April 15. Can you accept now and decline later if their is a better school? Please let me know. Thanks

Correct, they cannot retract the offer before April 15.

So to answer your second question: there is no reason to accept now and decline later. According to the CGS statement included with my admissions letter (which lists just about every school in the country on it), "In those instances in which a student accepts an offer before April 15, and subsequently desires to withdraw that acceptance, the student may submit in writing a resignation of the appointment at any time through April 15." Having said that, it's a dick move, and one of the reasons for standardizing April 15th as the deadline. Since you're under no pressure to accept, don't make their lives more difficult than they need to be. Just wait.

The only reason to accept early is if you've made an absolute decision and want to get the ball rolling on choosing your first rotation, enrolling for the summer, etc.

Yes. There is something called the Council of Graduate Schools which ensures your right to take your time deciding up until April 15th. A school might contact you to encourage your acceptance, but they don't have the right to apply any actual pressure.

Somewhat of a misnomer, schools have the right to rescind an offer at any point and time. Its pretty much in the fine print of any school's application form and the CGS is a voluntary organization, not some suicide pact. A reason why you may wish to accept early is that folks that sign on early lock up institutional funding (TAships, RAships, other institutional funds) and if you wait around you may undercut your chances of getting those monies. This isn't a huge problem but some PI's may not wish to take you if they have to foot the bill for you because you strung out the decision process or they needed you to secure those funding mechanisms in order to join their labs.

That being said, I've seen offers with a two week window and that is indeed a dick move. In my experience I have found that communicating with schools that have offers on the tables with you that you are waiting for others and found them quite receptive to waiting.

Just out of curiosity, is there anyone else out there who hasn't heard from Cornell-Weill BMCB (Allied)? I've seen a few "rejected via website" outcomes but they were a week ago. I really wish they would just "officially" reject me already. I'm 99.99% sure that I am but it's even worse when they don't have the decency to tell you in a timely manner. Even an automated, impersonal rejection email is better than being left to rot. I also have yet to hear anything from UMASS Worcester or Yale. I sort of wish they would just crush my hopes already so I can focus on the one interview I DID get. Until then, I'm stuck with this little voice in my head, sounding a lot like Jim Carrey, whispering, "So you're telling me there's a chance..."

Edited by goldenbuff

Somewhat of a misnomer, schools have the right to rescind an offer at any point and time. Its pretty much in the fine print of any school's application form and the CGS is a voluntary organization, not some suicide pact.

Thanks for the insight. So the CGS agreement sounds a bit more loose than I had figured. The only official acceptance letter I've gotten so far has included a copy of this agreement, and mentions that the deadline for a response is strictly April 15th. At the interview, it was stated that we may be contacted as encouragement to hurry our decisions along, but that this doesn't change the April 15 deadline.

What sort of situation leads to a two week window? Is that something that is official and stated in the agreement you sign, or is it simply explained this way over the phone or via email?

@Virion

@Genomic Repairman

So i contacted UCR and they say the offer deadline is April 15, but they want to know if I will accept their offer sooner than that. So should I accept it so that it will assured me of a spot or should I wait until April 15. I am nervous of waiting too long because this is my only admission offer out of 20 schools that I have applied. Has anyone of you accept your offer yet or will you wait out until April 15? This is only my opinion but I think all the graduate stipends for most of the schools are in the same ballpark, if not higher. So it all depend whether UC Riverside GGG is a good program or not? What is your opinions?

I just heard, for anyone who wants to know, Thomas Jefferson University has two more visit weeks left and are still sending out invitations. Also, for anyone who doesn't get into a PhD program, they have rolling admissions for a master's degree. (they accept up to the week of classes for every semester (fall, spring 1, spring 2 (mid march), and summer). There are still options if things don't work out.

@timt99

I got an email from UCR like this 'The admissions committee of the graduate program in Genetics, Genomics

and Bioinformatics (GGB) at UC Riverside has reviewed your application.

We were very impressed by your qualifications, and we are planning to

recommended you to our Graduate Dean for admission.Although this is not

an official acceptance to our program yet......'.

Few days later I got an invite to their recrutement day. But not yet received an official admit.

Does that mean I can get rejected after the recruitment day?

I am an international student.

Edited by pbv

@Virion

@Genomic Repairman

So i contacted UCR and they say the offer deadline is April 15, but they want to know if I will accept their offer sooner than that. So should I accept it so that it will assured me of a spot or should I wait until April 15. I am nervous of waiting too long because this is my only admission offer out of 20 schools that I have applied. Has anyone of you accept your offer yet or will you wait out until April 15? This is only my opinion but I think all the graduate stipends for most of the schools are in the same ballpark, if not higher. So it all depend whether UC Riverside GGG is a good program or not? What is your opinions?

They want to know so that if you turn them down they can offer your spot to someone else. It doesn't sound like the kind of situation GR was describing. You shouldn't need to wait until April 15th, as you should have a clear idea of where you've been accepted/rejected long before that. It does not sound like you should have any reason to worry about waiting a few weeks. Unless you're an international applicant or applying to schools with abnormal schedules, I imagine you'll have a fairly clear picture of your situation by early March.

@pbv i think it means since the program says they are recommending you they invited you. I do think they can still reject you if you end up having a horrible interview, but it looks good. Good Luck!!