2012 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

InquilineKea

i got an offer on friday from johns hopkins CMM, which i'm definitely going to accept. haven't heard a word from duke pathology (interviews or anything) assuming I got rejected, but, waiting to email them and say "you can disregard my application" until i have the actual letter in my hand from hopkins... even though ive listened to that acceptance voicemail a bajillion times to make sure i wasn't hallucinating.

Guys, If anyone has been accepted by Baylor Pharmacology and not accepting it than please decline the offer asap, as I am on waitlist and BCM is my dream college

I have nothing to do with Baylor, but I was told by several people at CU Integrated that if you let the program know that it's your top choice and you definitely will accept their offer if given one, it might bump you up even higher on the waitlist. Good luck! I hope you get in :)

@Sulay Patel

My interview will be 2/21-2/22.

I just saw on the results page that someone got rejected from Mount Sinai a few days after their interview. If you are reading, can you please let me know what the interview was like?

Well i am suppose to have video interview but they haven't given me the dates yet for the interview. Do let me know how was your interview? if you have any advice/suggestions/ thoughts to share , it will be great.

i got an offer on friday from johns hopkins CMM, which i'm definitely going to accept. haven't heard a word from duke pathology (interviews or anything) assuming I got rejected, but, waiting to email them and say "you can disregard my application" until i have the actual letter in my hand from hopkins... even though ive listened to that acceptance voicemail a bajillion times to make sure i wasn't hallucinating.

I got an offer from them as well :). I'm trying to decide between Duke (UPGG) and JHU...but this decision doesn't seem as easy for me.....

Congrats and hoping for us both to get that official letter soon!

I have nothing to do with Baylor, but I was told by several people at CU Integrated that if you let the program know that it's your top choice and you definitely will accept their offer if given one, it might bump you up even higher on the waitlist. Good luck! I hope you get in :)

Thank you so much for the advise!

I was waitlisted at UMD-Baltimore for the Micro program. Has anyone else heard from this program? And if accepted, would you mind sharing your stats? Thanks!

I was waitlisted by them too, but for Neuro. Good luck!

Are you sure that it is from USC computational biology and bioinformatics your friend heard back?

Not totally sure, but his POIs are listed here, "Molecular and Computational Biology", which appears to be the larger organization of the "Computational Biology and Bioinformatics" program.

It looks like the program is affiliated with a number of departments, so perhaps thing will play out differently if you applied through Math or CS?

Hi,

Has anyone here already interviewed at Mount Sinai? I have a neuroscience interview coming up next week, and this is my top choice, so any advice/info/thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated!

How was your interview at Mount Sinai? Did you get any more information on acceptance rates? Any other thing you would be willing to share is very much appreciated.

Edited by Dengue2011

Well i am suppose to have video interview but they haven't given me the dates yet for the interview. Do let me know how was your interview? if you have any advice/suggestions/ thoughts to share , it will be great.

I have been invited for a Skype interview with Mount Sinai. Have you been contacted by the program yet? If not, have you contacted them and got any response? After 3 weeks of waiting, I sent them an email, but I got no reply so far. It's been a week since I sent them the last email. It's starting to freak me out.

Edited by Dengue2011

I have been invited for a Skype interview with Mount Sinai. Have you been contacted by the program yet? If not, have you contacted them and got any response? After 3 weeks of waiting, I sent them an email, but I got no reply so far. It's been a week since I sent them the last email. It's starting to freak me out.

Same here i had sent them mail long back. I havent heard from them so far about the video interview.

I got an offer from them as well :). I'm trying to decide between Duke (UPGG) and JHU...but this decision doesn't seem as easy for me.....

Congrats and hoping for us both to get that official letter soon!

Well, I'm biased, since I did my undergrad near Baltimore and I just love it there, but JHU's recruiting weekend was awesome (I went in Jan) and the people there were cool. Plus... its Hopkins, so its world-renowned (is that the right word? i bombed the GRE verbal) Duke was my other choice, but I haven't heard from them, one of the guys at the CMM weekend said Duke lost his application, and JHU was my top pick anyways. But Duke is great too, ridiculously pretty campus. Good luck with the decision making! Both are top universities, so congrats on the offers.

Congrats - I just sent in my SOI for the IMGP this week. Let me know if you end up going there vs. Baylor!

@ MountainGuy 32.... Thank you so much for the prompt response! I am mostly accepting the offer, as IMGP gives me more flexibility in choosing a track while Baylor will restrict me to Pharmacology. Can u please give me your email ID, and you can contact me on hussainsuleman10@gmail.com .. thanks again!

Hi I have an interview for Temple Fels Institute in Philly in two weeks, but I'm getting really curious about Stoney Brook. I already got turned down for UofC , OHSU, and Watson School at Cold Spring Harbor and wanted to know my chances with Stoney brook before the interview.

Has anybody heard from Stoney Brook in Molecular Bio yet???

Undergrad Institution: Imperial College London (top 10 in world)

Major(s): Theoretical Physics (BSc)

GPA in Major: 2:1 honours (Upper 2nd class)

Overall GPA: N.A.

Position in Class: Average/unknown

Type of Student: Male, age 21

GRE Scores:

Q: 165 (96%)

V: 166 (94%)

W: 5.5 (96%)

Research Experience: Bachelors project in computational astrophysics/multi-discipline (solid 1st-class grade). First-year research project in spectral graph theory and social networks (minor, but again good grade).

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Arkwright Scholarship for Engineering (6th form/end of highschool), misc. scholarship, 3rd place runner-up in Microsoft RoboChamps international competition

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Internship in investment bank, temporary job developing financial software for pension/financial services company, summer job developing server/client software system for textile business.

Miscellaneous: Long-time blogger about software, mathematics, logic, science, philosophy, and other subjects. High-reputation use on StackOverflow, and prominent member in various software development/mathematics/physics onlien communities at various points. Probably other things I've forgotten too.

Applying to Where:

Stanford - Computer Science (MS)

Washington - Computer Science (PhD/MS) - REJECTED

Carnegie Mellon - Computer Science (PhD/MS) - REJECTED

MIT - Computer Science (PhD/MS) - REJECTED

Harvard - Computer Science (PhD/MS)

Columbia - Computer Science (PhD/MS)

Cornell - Computer Science (PhD/MS)

Has anyone else heard any results from these universities yet; especially computer science applicants? I am inclined to think that the longer I am kept waiting, the more likely rejection is. The whole process with US universities is very impersonal and automated it seems.

Also, are such a slew of rejections to be expected? Is it my grades? Surely I'm not expected to have any significant research experience at this point, but is it that?

Edited by Noldorin

Undergrad Institution: Imperial College London (top 10 in world)

Major(s): Theoretical Physics (BSc)

GPA in Major: 2:1 honours (Upper 2nd class)

Overall GPA: N.A.

Position in Class: Average/unknown

Type of Student: Male, age 21

GRE Scores:

Q: 165 (96%)

V: 166 (94%)

W: 5.5 (96%)

Research Experience: Bachelors project in computational astrophysics/multi-discipline (solid 1st-class grade). First-year research project in spectral graph theory and social networks (minor, but again good grade).

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Arkwright Scholarship for Engineering (6th form/end of highschool), misc. scholarship, 3rd place runner-up in Microsoft RoboChamps international competition

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Internship in investment bank, temporary job developing financial software for pension/financial services company, summer job developing server/client software system for textile business.

Miscellaneous: Long-time blogger about software, mathematics, logic, science, philosophy, and other subjects. High-reputation use on StackOverflow, and prominent member in various software development/mathematics/physics onlien communities at various points. Probably other things I've forgotten too.

Applying to Where:

Stanford - Computer Science (MS)

Washington - Computer Science (PhD/MS) - REJECTED

Carnegie Mellon - Computer Science (PhD/MS) - REJECTED

MIT - Computer Science (PhD/MS) - REJECTED

Harvard - Computer Science (PhD/MS)

Columbia - Computer Science (PhD/MS)

Cornell - Computer Science (PhD/MS)

Has anyone else heard any results from these universities yet; especially computer science applicants? I am inclined to think that the longer I am kept waiting, the more likely rejection is. The whole process with US universities is very impersonal and automated it seems.

Also, are such a slew of rejections to be expected? Is it my grades? Surely I'm not expected to have any significant research experience at this point, but is it that?

You are posting in the life science forum, try posting in a CS forum :)