2012 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

InquilineKea

I've been reading this topic for a while now and I haven't uploaded my stats. 'Bout time I guess considering this whole process is just about over.

Undergrad Institution: Ohio State University

Majors: Microbiology (BS) and Chemistry (BA)

GPA: 3.9

GRE: 161 V, 165 Q, 5.0 Writing

-Two-ish years in a Virology lab (no pubs, abstracts, etc.)

Applied: OSU, Harvard, Yale, Stanford, University of Washington, Wisc-Madison, UChicago, Upenn, UMich, Duke, UNC-Chapel Hill, Case Western, UPitt, Washington University is St. Louis

Rejected: Stanford, UMIch

Interview: OSU (declined), Harvard, Yale (declined), UW, Wisc-Madison, Uchicago (declined), Upenn, Duke, UNC-Chapel Hill (declined), Case Western (declined), Upitt, WashU

Waitlisted: Harvard (It's been about 2 months since interview and haven't heard anything so I assume waitlisted) , WashU

Accepted: UW, Wisc-Madison, Upenn, Duke, Upitt

-I will be attending Duke University to pursue graduate studies in the Department of Molecular Genetics and Microbiology!

Anyone here got a decision on the Ohio State MCDB program? I'm asking for a friend, and she hasn't got an interview call even yet.

I never heard back from OSU's MCDB either. I did contact them in February and got an email back saying I'd hear "between [then] and mid-March," but never did. I met another student in early February who had an interview in early March and he said that it was their second weekend. I also have friends that have been interviewed and accepted in the Biochemistry department and the IGBP at OSU (both are similar programs to the MCDB) and they both heard back in February. I'm assuming no contact at this point means rejection.

I never heard back from OSU's MCDB either. I did contact them in February and got an email back saying I'd hear "between [then] and mid-March," but never did. I met another student in early February who had an interview in early March and he said that it was their second weekend. I also have friends that have been interviewed and accepted in the Biochemistry department and the IGBP at OSU (both are similar programs to the MCDB) and they both heard back in February. I'm assuming no contact at this point means rejection.

Thanks helicase. Sigh, I really wish universities let people know early if it is a reject. The waiting period is just too painful.

Hi

I had an interview on Feb 2 over skype for PhD position at LSU. It has been almost 2 months now but I havent yet heared from them. The PI under whom I wanted to do PhD was my present boss's ex mentor. He communicated with me frequently. Now I am wodering about the decision. Do any one of you know any such instances and therefore the chances

Thanks

Deep

Edited by Dwipayan Bhattacharya

FINALLY decided on Washington University in St. Louis' Molecular Genetics and Genomics program! Any one else attending their DBBS or MGG program?

So happy to be done! :D

Hey everyone!

I just got accepted to the Ohio State University IBGP!!! Definitely going!!!! WHOO! The wait is over.

Congrats!! Awesome news :D

FINALLY decided on Washington University in St Louis' Molecular Genetics and Genomics program! Any one else attending their DBBS or MGG program?

So happy to be done! :D

Awesome, I'm *probably* going to accept too - was at the revisit weekend last week and it's just incredible. Such a great place with so much going for it!

@paulio, I'm really curious where you're going to end up!! Obviously I want everyone to go to Columbia <_< Congrats on all the amazing choices.

For me, it's totally between Columbia and WashU (with a bit of UChicago for good measure) for various reasons. I'm currently veering towards WashU, which realistically is where I'll probably end up...

@paulio: congratulations! great job.

1) have you applied to biological sciences program at columbia?

2) when was your recruitment week at Wash U?

3) have you made a decision?

thanks.

1) I applied to C2B2, which is like a computational path of the Integrated program in cellular, molecular, structural and graduate studies (bit of a mouthful!)

2) Same as yours - we were on the train back from the airport together :-P (I think we were anyway - the other guy from New Jersey was called Ben, and my username is not my real name...)

3) Probably WashU - I was back at the revisit weekend last week and it was awesome. The housing situation is so good compared to a lot of places, the breadth of research is beyond anything I've seen anywhere else, and there's just SO much going on all the time.

Have you made a decision yet?

3) Probably WashU - I was back at the revisit weekend last week and it was awesome. The housing situation is so good compared to a lot of places, the breadth of research is beyond anything I've seen anywhere else, and there's just SO much going on all the time.

THIS. I am so glad that someone else got the same impression of WashU. I was blown away by their facilities, students, professors and research topics. Best of luck with your final decision :)

I never posted one of these, so now that I've made my decision I figured I might as well. Maybe it'll give some hope for those with sub-3.0 GPAs in the future!

Undergrad Institution: R1

Major(s): Biology

Overall GPA: 2.821

Type of Student: American, Female

GRE Scores (revised version)

Q: 160 (83%)

V: 163 (93%)

W:4.5 (72%)

Research Experience: 2.5 years as an undergraduate research assistant in a molecular biology/biochemistry lab (no thesis or publications, no LoR from this lab), 3 years in a mbio/biochem lab as a research assistant (one 2nd author publication, 2 LoR from PI and co-mentor)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Awarded funding as an undergraduate in form of a fellowship

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: 1.5 years as a TA in undergrad, 5.5 years total as a research assistant, 2 years as a mentor to high school students

Special Bonus Points: Publication, LoRs from well-known PIs in the field I want to remain in, already took a few graduate courses at Case Western while working as a research assistant

Applying to Where: I knew where I wanted to go (and where I had a likelihood of getting in based on my PI's connections) but I also applied to a handful of extreme reach schools just to see.

Case Western Reserve University (BSTP) - Interviewed, Accepted

University of Rochester (BMB) - Interviewed, Accepted

University of Massachusetts Medical School (GSBS/BBS) - Interviewed, Accepted, Will Be Attending

MIT (Biology) - Rejected

University of Washington (MCB) - Rejected

University of Wisconsin - Madison (CMB) - Rejected

UC - Berkeley (MCB) - Rejected

The Ohio State University (MCDB) - Never Heard From

Tips for Future Applicants: Do what you can early on to recognize problem areas and do what you can to rectify them or boost other areas to compensate. I knew coming out of undergrad that I wouldn't be a competitive applicant. I took time off, worked hard, got a publication, and saved enough money while doing so that I can now buy a home when I start grad school this fall. I also spent all of last summer studying for the GRE.

Also, when you're interviewing, know your own research really well. Practice talking about it with friends, so they can ask you the obvious questions that you should be prepared for, but don't sound too rehearsed. Don't spend hours reading papers by your interviewers - focus on abstracts or reviews, but most will assume you haven't anyhow.

And most importantly, a bad undergraduate GPA will not ruin you. Just be prepared to defend your past and explain how things will be different in the future!

It's not a Masters or PhD program, but has anyone heard back from the UMass Med School PGSP?

I emailed the program coordinator back in February and he said that the PGSP applications would be reviewed in the middle of March, with decisions going out shortly thereafter. That said, I still haven't heard anything and my application is still listed as "Under Review" on the website. I've been accepted to some PhD programs though, so I probably won't accept even if they make me an offer. (Only holding out because my girlfriend will be attending another school in Worcester, so I want all my options on the table before I make a decision.)

Good Luck and hopefully they let you know soon!