2012 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

InquilineKea

I emailed the program coordinator back in February and he said that the PGSP applications would be reviewed in the middle of March, with decisions going out shortly thereafter. That said, I still haven't heard anything and my application is still listed as "Under Review" on the website. I've been accepted to some PhD programs though, so I probably won't accept even if they make me an offer. (Only holding out because my girlfriend will be attending another school in Worcester, so I want all my options on the table before I make a decision.)

Good Luck and hopefully they let you know soon!

Thanks for the info. I also emailed the coordinator (Brian Lewis) 2 days ago about my status and he said "you should receive information on the status of your application by early next week." I actually applied straight into the PhD program (GSBS) and got rejected (my application still says "under review" though), but Dr. Lewis suggested I consider the PGSP instead. I didn't have to do anything extra so of course I said yes. I didn't get into any other PhD programs either so I would LOVE to do the PGSP to bolster my application for next year.

Edited by sokipdx

Is it that nobody here has applied to CUNY's PhD in biology, or they are so slow making decisions. I received an acceptance from KU Rehabilitation Science PhD and need to decide =(

I emailed the program coordinator back in February and he said that the PGSP applications would be reviewed in the middle of March, with decisions going out shortly thereafter. That said, I still haven't heard anything and my application is still listed as "Under Review" on the website. I've been accepted to some PhD programs though, so I probably won't accept even if they make me an offer. (Only holding out because my girlfriend will be attending another school in Worcester, so I want all my options on the table before I make a decision.)

Good Luck and hopefully they let you know soon!

Just got an email back. Waitlisted :(

Edit: If you got accepted and decide not to go, please let them know. I will love you forever. I am going to write a follow-up letter now and keep my fingers crossed until April 15th.

Edited by sokipdx

I have got offer of admission and fellowship in IBMG Program (PhD) at Indiana University - Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI) - School of Medicine and in IGPBS Program (PhD) at Kansas University of Medical Center. From my point of view in terms of research, both are equal. Can anyone please help me in comparing them further and let me know their +ives and -ives)?

Thanx.... in advance.

Anyone going to Rutgers - Molecular Biosciences PhD program ? Have just heard from them that I am on the waitlist. i would be happy to know who else is going to Rutgers.

I am also notified that my application is on HOLD at University of Maryland's GPILS program. Is there anyone else who is accepting the admits from this place ?

Just accepted to UMD's GPILS program. They are only looking for about 10-12 students in Mol Med, IDK about the other programs. I'm not sure about international students, but I didn't see any at my interview weekend. Good Luck.

Just accepted to UMD's GPILS program. They are only looking for about 10-12 students in Mol Med, IDK about the other programs. I'm not sure about international students, but I didn't see any at my interview weekend. Good Luck.

Are you going to accept the offer and join the program ? What other offers do you have in hand? I wonder why do they entertain international students to apply if they only accept 1 or 2. Well, congrats to you dude ! Wish you all the best for a successful career ahead.

Are you going to accept the offer and join the program ? What other offers do you have in hand? I wonder why do they entertain international students to apply if they only accept 1 or 2. Well, congrats to you dude ! Wish you all the best for a successful career ahead.

Yea, I accepted. Got into the other Major Maryland Research schools as well. Wanted to stay in state. They entertain Internationals because they still want some to diversify their students, but they can only afford to fund 1 or 2 of the top tier because the NIH (US Government Life Science Funding Agency if you didn't know) won't pay for non-US citizens. So it's funding based, not anything to do with how good or bad internationals are. A lot of internationals that would qualify for tier one research schools if they were US citizens have to settle for smaller state/private schools because the funding just isn't there. Most of the grad students at my undergrad were internationals for this exact reason.

Thanks for the support. Best wishes to you as well, maybe I'll see you at Maryland in the fall.

Any one still waiting for UTSW? It's have been a while since it start to extend offers and rejections while I get neither. I assume they make a waiting list?

I got a rejection from UTSW. And have heard a few got acceptance too. May be you might be on a waitlist. Call them and inquire ! Good luck for your chances.

Any one still waiting for UTSW? It's have been a while since it start to extend offers and rejections while I get neither. I assume they make a waiting list?

Well, I got into UTSW. I had a chat with Stu Ravnik the other day and I got the impression that they will send acceptances to waitlisted candidates only after April 15. He did not say that literally, but that is the idea i got.

I have got offer of admission and fellowship in IBMG Program (PhD) at Indiana University - Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI) - School of Medicine and in IGPBS Program (PhD) at Kansas University of Medical Center. From my point of view in terms of research, both are equal. Can anyone please help me in comparing them further and let me know their +ives and -ives)?

Thanx.... in advance.

Thanx.... in advance.

I think the IBMG program at IUPUI is more highly rated(I applied there and was waitlisted, would go to another school anyway). But regardless of that If yo don't have a specific faculty at kUMC you would like to work with, then my suggestio would be go to Indiana purdue..

Well, I got into UTSW. I had a chat with Stu Ravnik the other day and I got the impression that they will send acceptances to waitlisted candidates only after April 15. He did not say that literally, but that is the idea i got.

Thanks for your reply. I will contact them today since there is only one week left before 4.15 and I have another offer to reply.

Thanx @ Souparno 123

Any idea about IUPUI Vs Univ of Tenessee College of Health Science?

To which school u r joining?

Thanx @ Souparno 123

Any idea about IUPUI Vs Univ of Tenessee College of Health Science?

To which school u r joining?

I have some idea about the IBMG program at IUPUI because I applied there ( currently wait listed) and I think it is a very good program. I don't know its exact ranking ( would be around 40) but it enjoys a very good reputation in research, especially if you are interested in cancer biology. I really don't know anything about Univ of Tenessee College of Health Science but I do not think it would be better than IUPUI. Also I think Indianapolis would be a better place to live in compared to Memphis.

I have few acceptances. Being a International student, I haven't visited the schools and hence it is a difficult decision. I have not made my mind up yet but probably I would be accepting the offer from UT southwestern medical center at Dallas because the biomedical science PhD program is ranked among top ten and it has wonderful faculties ( 5 Nobel laureates among the present faculty members). Also their financial offers are quite amazing.