2012 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

InquilineKea

I interviewed with biology, and there have been results posted, so I was thinking probably rejection or waitlist, too. Disappointing, though, since I thought it went very well and they gave the impression that the post-interview admit rate would be high.

I am an international student. I applied to a PhD program in Biology (NS track) from CUNY on Nov 28th, and I have not heard anything from them to date. This is torture :(

Disappointing, though, since I thought it went very well and they gave the impression that the post-interview admit rate would be high.

I got such mixed responses about the admit rate at Stanford post-interview for Biology. Some graduate students said they admit only 50% of interviewees whereas others said it's definitely more than 50%. Of course, most gave the "I really have no idea" answer. I'm pretty sure it's above 50% if they average class sizes of ~30...

I am waitlisted by UT Houston, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences :( This is my top choice school, so if you're planning on not going and got accepted, please email them and tell them.

They know they're your top choice, right? If not, tell them :)

They know they're your top choice, right? If not, tell them :)

I called them to learn that I was waitlisted. The admissions coordinator I spoke with told me that I was at the top of the list. I, then, e-mailed her that they are my top choice. So, all I have to do now is wait. Let's hope that a spot becomes available soon. The bad news is that the waiting came continues :(

I called them to learn that I was waitlisted. The admissions coordinator I spoke with told me that I was at the top of the list. I, then, e-mailed her that they are my top choice. So, all I have to do now is wait. Let's hope that a spot becomes available soon. The bad news is that the waiting came continues :(

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!! Good luck :)

i Have applied for PhD Molecular biology and Biochemistry. does any one heard from this universities and please let me know if i stand any chances.

International student

GPA not so good

research experience 7+ years in biotech company( molecular biology and upstream)

publication: 1 co-author

GRE 294/340

Q149, V145 and awa 2

Toefl iBT 80

Applied: 5 WUSTL, UMSL, University of Houston Texas, University of Rhode Island, University of Buffalo

Interview:0/5

Rejection:1/5 (WUSTL)

@vivek -- I'm sorry, but your scores are quite low, and you say your GPA is also low. Even for appliciants with great records, competition is especially tough for international students. You might need to consider retaking the GRE and reapplying. Also, not having gotten any interviews (even Skype interviews) does not seem like a good sign. Your research experience sounds great, but you need to have an overall strong package, and your GRE might really be hurting you (and the TOEFL seems low to me also, though I am not very familiar with the scoring scale for that ...).

Anybody heard from Berkeley's ESPM? I emailed the graduate director and she would say nothing on dates nor on my specific application, I am running out of my patience :wacko:

Hey Owl.

I was accepted maybe 5 weeks ago. They are hosting an event for accepted students this weekend through Monday, March 19.

I have until april 15, but i'll respond to the offer sooner than that

Hey Owl.

I was accepted maybe 5 weeks ago. They are hosting an event for accepted students this weekend through Monday, March 19.

I have until april 15, but i'll respond to the offer sooner than that

Anybody heard from Berkeley's ESPM? I emailed the graduate director and she would say nothing on dates nor on my specific application, I am running out of my patience :wacko:

Are you sure you are talking about the same program? ESPM isn't really a microbio program. Owl, you'll probably get your rejection in early April :(.

Are you sure you are talking about the same program? ESPM isn't really a microbio program. Owl, you'll probably get your rejection in early April :(.

I would think Berkeley has a micro program within their Plant & Microbial Bio department. ESPM seems like a pretty broad program though, so who knows.

I emailed the department with an unrelated question way back before apps were even due, and I got an automated email that said ESPM decisions will be made from late Jan - late March. Historically, the rejections all seem to come out the first week in April though.

I gave up on Berkeley awhile ago, but I figured I might as well just wait for the rejection than try to withdraw my app. I think most programs send you a rejection after you withdraw anyways, to tie up any loose ends.

Edited by Pitangus

Yes, I'm talking about the Berkeley ESPM program.

Oh I see. I also was unaware of the fact that ESPM had a microbio subdivision.

So I guess I should expect a rejection in April as the most probable thing but a small chance is that I might be on their waitlist or something.

That gives some clarification on my situation.

Thanks for all the info, everyone! :)

Edited by owl_knight

Oh I see. I also was unaware of the fact that ESPM had a microbio subdivision.

I'm thinking that there must be a few professors in the O&E/EcoSci divisions of ESPM who do micro work with environmental applications. There is a separate Microbiology program though, which is why it's confusing. Berkeley's departments are confusing in general. There are EEB professors in both ESPM and Integrative Biology, and maybe other departments as well. I went with ESPM because that's where my best-fit POI was, but I was interested in IB as well. Unfortunately Berkeley only lets you apply to one program per year. :unsure:

Edited by Pitangus

Does anyone know about the umsl and rhode island phd application status? (cell and molecular biology, biochemistry)

If any one has got interview call or they waitlist you, then please let me know.

Thank you

Got a third post-interview rejection today. Fortunately, I'm in at my first choice, but it's hard not to take it personally and feel a bit led on after what seemed like three fantastic interviews. Anyone else feeling this way?

I only had one interview, so I can't say I feel exactly the same, but I understand the let down feeling that comes when someone says, "Your application was superb and your letters were excellent, but we can't accept you because ----"

Perhaps it was actually better that I heard it up front rather than after an interview...

If you thought your interviews went well, then the rejections likely had nothing to do with you, but were rather based on funding issues or a departmental decision to only accept people with certain research interests or certain POIs. I know that doesn't help with the feeling of being led on though.

Congratulations on your acceptance! That's really all that matters in the end. :)