2012 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

InquilineKea

Scripps is an exception. They definitely will not look at your app until they've received your GRE subject scores. I took the GRE Biochem in November but scores don't come out until December and they emailed all applicants in my position to let us know they would start reviewing our applications AFTER they received the official subject scores.

Not true. I submitted my app w/o the subjects. They emailed me asking if they were coming in late and I admitted to not taking them. A few days ago I got an interview request via e-mail. Guess it wasn't THAT big of a deal after all. goes to show you the application is a package deal . . . great parts can make up for deficiencies elsewhere.

What sort of situation leads to a two week window? Is that something that is official and stated in the agreement you sign, or is it simply explained this way over the phone or via email?

Sometimes schools are throwing out more acceptance letters than spaces that they have available sort of like how airlines will overbook flights because they know some people won't show up. So they want you to accept quickly so they can slow down offers and not run the risk of taking folks in where who might have issues with funding because all of the TA/RAships are gone by the time you accept. Usually the acceptance letter will dictate any time restrictions on the offer.

@Virion

@Genomic Repairman

So i contacted UCR and they say the offer deadline is April 15, but they want to know if I will accept their offer sooner than that. So should I accept it so that it will assured me of a spot or should I wait until April 15. I am nervous of waiting too long because this is my only admission offer out of 20 schools that I have applied. Has anyone of you accept your offer yet or will you wait out until April 15? This is only my opinion but I think all the graduate stipends for most of the schools are in the same ballpark, if not higher. So it all depend whether UC Riverside GGG is a good program or not? What is your opinions?

You know you can accept and then rescind an offer. I did, but the only thing to make sure of is you have to get permission to be let out of your offer to take another school's offer. At least etiquette-wise based on the "rules" of the CGS.

Sometimes schools are throwing out more acceptance letters than spaces that they have available sort of like how airlines will overbook flights because they know some people won't show up. So they want you to accept quickly so they can slow down offers and not run the risk of taking folks in where who might have issues with funding because all of the TA/RAships are gone by the time you accept. Usually the acceptance letter will dictate any time restrictions on the offer.

Sure, I'm aware that this is their situation of course. And I know that they work hard to calibrate the number of offers they give (presumably considering each applicants stats and therefore likelihood of attending) based on what has happened previous years. It's also the reason they contact accepted students to try to persuade them into joining. I just didn't know that they could actually force an earlier deadline.

Not true. I submitted my app w/o the subjects. They emailed me asking if they were coming in late and I admitted to not taking them. A few days ago I got an interview request via e-mail. Guess it wasn't THAT big of a deal after all. goes to show you the application is a package deal . . . great parts can make up for deficiencies elsewhere.

Yeah, I came to that conclusion much later. It's pretty annoying since I emailed them ahead of time and asked them if I really needed it, and they said yes. If I had known I could have gotten away with it, I could have saved myself a ton of money and time. Especially since I declined their interview in the end anyway!

Got interview invitation from Baylor College of Medicine this morning (Yay!!!) for Immunology program. Has anyone gotten admission offer or an interview invitation from Baylor? I really want to know how selective and competitive the program is...cuz so far I got rejections from NYU Sackler, Hopkins School of Public Health, Northwestern and Boston University. Still waiting for responses from Mount Sinai, UVA, Hopkins School of Med for Pathobiology program, Penn State, University of Pittsburgh and UT Southwestern.

Has anyone officially accepted their offer of admission and funding yet or are you'all still waiting until April 15!!!

I'm hoping to make a decision by mid March, after I've been to all the interviews and heard back from all of my schools.

@ hyt5009.. What program did you apply for at Upitt?

Also I had a general question and any insights would be helpful.. Yesterday I met this prof I am very interested in working with. I had an hour long convo with him about his research and such.. at the end he said he was very impressed with my credentials and that he would drop a line to the admissions committee about his evaluation of my profile. Is that a reason to be hopeful??? If yes, how soon should I expect a response before I start losing hope? At this place, the admission process is completely isolated and no prof can pick up an application and say I want this student; atleast thats wot he said..

Also I had a general question and any insights would be helpful.. Yesterday I met this prof I am very interested in working with. I had an hour long convo with him about his research and such.. at the end he said he was very impressed with my credentials and that he would drop a line to the admissions committee about his evaluation of my profile. Is that a reason to be hopeful??? If yes, how soon should I expect a response before I start losing hope? At this place, the admission process is completely isolated and no prof can pick up an application and say I want this student; atleast thats wot he said..

I would imagine that it can only help your app (perhaps pretty significantly) if a professor personally decides to speak up for you as an applicant.