2012 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

InquilineKea

There probably is an advantage to going to the earlier weekend. The professors/people you interview with have had less people to meet with before you and therefore do not have as many people to compare you to yet.

So...I applied to the Cell/Molecular program at Johns Hopkins school of Medicine and the school of Arts and Sciences. Figured I would cover all my bases.

Got interviews at both and they're on the same weekend. Things are going to get real in Baltimore. Just sayin'.

There probably is an advantage to going to the earlier weekend. The professors/people you interview with have had less people to meet with before you and therefore do not have as many people to compare you to yet.

In addition to this, does anyone know if admissions are rolling for MIT? Will the people who interview first have more of a chance of admission just because there are more spaces available at the time?

In addition to this, does anyone know if admissions are rolling for MIT? Will the people who interview first have more of a chance of admission just because there are more spaces available at the time?

If you have the time to do some old thread searching, the question about interview dates is usually addressed each year somewhere in the College Confidential Bioscience result threads. Look for posts by molliebatmit. I'm pretty sure I remember a post in last year's thread saying it doesn't matter which interview date you attend.

I was wondering about this too. Anyone know if they wait until after all interviews dates are done before they start sending out acceptances? Seems like going to earlier interviews could only help your chances, but I'm not sure I'm going to be able to interview at MIT until the last session unless I cancel on someone else

Many thanks to kgumps2012 and obot. Good luck to you guys too.

I have just received a phone interview from Stowers. Haven't seen anyone here applied to Stowers. I think it is a fantastic institute to do research and many top-leveled PIs.

Thanks so much! I was getting worried, but this is great to know. Good luck!

I called Harvard BBS right before Christmas and they said they'd start sending emails out hopefully by January 13 and that no more invites will be sent after January 20. If anyone is wondering about MIT Biology, they emailed me back saying: "The faculty admissions committee is in the process of reading applications now. This continues until the first week of January when they will meet and make admissions decisions."

Undergrad Institution: Top tier school

Major(s): Biology

Minor(s):

GPA in Major: 2.5

Overall GPA: 2.3

Position in Class: take a guess

Type of Student: International male

GRE Scores (revised/old version):

Q: 176

V: 173

W:

B:

Research Experience: Two years of research at school, one year of research at Harvard MCB, paper was submitted, 1.5 years of industry work in assay development.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: N/A

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: currently working as junior management in industry

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Special Bonus Points: recommendations are mostly heavy hitters

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: took a break through undergrad

Applying to Where:

UPenn - Biomedical Sciences - Pharmacology

Hopkins - Molecular Medicine

Maryland Baltimore - Molecular Medicine

Columbia - Pathobiology and Molecular Medicine

Northwestern - IGP

WashU- Molecular Medicine

Georgetown - Biomedical Sciences Program

U Delaware - Biological Sciences

U Virginia - Biomedical Sciences

So it's really hard not to start freaking out that I haven't heard from anywhere yet. Should I have even bothered applying? It would be mortifying if I didn't get into any of the 9 schools I applied to....*biting nails* I'm currently living in the states, and so I'd hope to get an interview if they're at all interested.

@coldsteak -- that GPA is going to make things very difficult for you, especially as an international applicant. It also probably is not helping that you are currently working in management rather than research. You might consider applying to master's programs. Have you gotten any advising from the PIs you used to work for?

The advice I've gotten from my previous PI's is that I should get into some of the lower tier schools that I've applied to, and possibly into one or two of the reach schools. Though my current position isn't in academic research, it's still research. My management goes as far as managing my team of scientists involved in developing and characterizing products, but is still a very hands-on wet lab type position. I've thought about master's programs, but I'm not sure I'd gain much, apart from a reboot to my GPA. I guess all I can do is wait and see...

Does anyone know if there is an advantage to going to the earlier invite weekend over the later interview weekend?

I was wondering about this too. Anyone know if they wait until after all interviews dates are done before they start sending out acceptances? Seems like going to earlier interviews could only help your chances, but I'm not sure I'm going to be able to interview at MIT until the last session unless I cancel on someone else

Most programs have "rolling" admissions in that students interviewing earlier who very clearly should be accepted or rejected will hear right after their interview weekend. Because no program is going to want to fill the entire class (or even a majority of the class) from just the first interview, though, many students may not hear back until after the later interview weekend is over.

Edited by Krypton

I'm in the same boat you are but staying optimistic because I haven't heard of ANYONE hearing back from Harvard who wasn't Neuroscience.

I really need to get over with my obsession. I keep checking my email/phone every single minute and it's kind of annoying. Anyway, I am not losing hope yet either.

Congrats to the MIT invitees!

@coldsteak -- In that case, it looks as though your research experience could be more impressive (perhaps) that most people's. Good luck!

Hey, been out of town for the past ten days. Got interviews from MIT (bio) and NIH/Karolinska (I think? They may have just said they will later contact me for an interview). Still waiting on Rockefeller, Columbia, and NIH/Oxford/Cambridge.

Hi ! I'm new on Grad Cafe ! It's nice to know I'm not the only one checking my emails and spam every two minute :)

Undergrad Institution: Canadian French university (100th or so worldwide)

Major(s): Biochemistry

Minor(s): it's not explicitly a "Major + Minor", it's just "Biochemistry".

GPA in Major: 3.54

Overall GPA: 3.54

Position in Class: Not so bad

Type of Student: International white male

GRE Scores (revised version):

Q: 86%

V: 64%

W: 48%

B: 55%

TOEFL Total: 109

Research Experience: Cell biology, 2 years of exp in two different labs, my name on a cardboard presentation...

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Honor Roll

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: President of the student association (don't know if it helps, though)

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: International Baccalaureate

Special Bonus Points: Took a graduate course of Dev Bio

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Nice guy

Applying to:

Harvard - HILS - MCB

MIT - Biology

Rockefeller

UCSF - Tetrad

Columbia - Integrated CMBS - Rejected

Columbia - Pathobiology & Mol Med (2nd choice) - Interview

UCLA - ACCESS - Interview

Sloan-Kettering

NYU Sackler

Stanford - Biosciences

Caltech - Biology

I'm pretty excited by these two interviews :)

Edited by krisdevill

Welcome! Hahahahaha! You're certainly not the only one! :)

Definitely not.

Heck! I got an email from Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc about some antibody nonsense. But all I saw was 'Santa Cruz' and the adrenaline kicked in with the 'OMG, accepted or denied' panic response. The funniest part was that I didn't even apply to a school in Santa Cruz. wtf.

So ridiculous. This process has made me insane. *grin*

Hey pitangus, any word back from IU yet?

Nope, nothing besides an email sent back in November after I submitted the departmental pre-application.

I'm assuming they will start notifying people soon now that the deadline has passed (finally), and they'll need to get invites out before February (if the EEB interview is at or around the same time as the Biology one listed in the interview thread).

So good luck to us (and any other EEB people hanging around)! Where else are you applying?

Definitely not.

Heck! I got an email from Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc about some antibody nonsense. But all I saw was 'Santa Cruz' and the adrenaline kicked in with the 'OMG, accepted or denied' panic response. The funniest part was that I didn't even apply to a school in Santa Cruz. wtf.

So ridiculous. This process has made me insane. *grin*

Haha I did the same thing when I got an email from Case Western the other day. Unfortunately it was an invite to apply...which I'm assuming is a mistake because they have already confirmed my application is complete. But I did go through that YAY...OH NO!! double feeling at the same time.

Hello,

I've got an account with the rival freak out forum - college confidential - but stalk this one as well, so I figured I would contribute.

Stats (as best as I remember):

3.76 gpa

780 math (89%) 660 verbal (93%)

650 biochem subject (89%)

Biology major / philosophy minor

top ten private university

3 years in the same lab

1 year in another lab

plenty of TAing (at least 6-7 classes)

Schools I applied to:

Harvard -

Princeton - going to interview