What are you reading?

misterpat

I'm re-reading some core social theory--right now Durkhiem (Elementary Forms of Religious Life) and Weber (Economy and Society). I am making sure I'm not super behind since I was not a soc major.

Dorky--yes. Necessary--probably.

But, In fall I did read the entire Twilight series in about a week. Seriously, if you want to get your mind off waiting, READ TWILIGHT. Super cheesy but very fun.

A variety of stuff (mostly short stories) in German and French in an effort to brush the dust off my language skills. One of the professors I spoke with put a lot more emphasis on this than many of the department websites and graduate program handbooks.

I'm re-reading some core social theory--right now Durkhiem (Elementary Forms of Religious Life) and Weber (Economy and Society). I am making sure I'm not super behind since I was not a soc major.

But, In fall I did read the entire Twilight series in about a week. Seriously, if you want to get your mind off waiting, READ TWILIGHT. Super cheesy but very fun.

Ouch. I read some of EFRL and the translation wasnt as bad as when I read Suicide. Something was particularly unbearable about reading Suicide that it made me want to do it myself.

Ouch. I read some of EFRL and the translation wasnt as bad as when I read Suicide. Something was particularly unbearable about reading Suicide that it made me want to do it myself.

I agree about suicide. I stopped reading 50 pages in. I'm not exactly sure why i hated it so much.

Ha ha! Tolstoy appears to be the preferred time killer! :)

I'm reading "dorky stuff" (i.e., not published in the last 100 years) too, but I'll share my short-list of non-dorky fiction that I'm going to read soon--Netherland by Joseph O'Neill and The Attack by Yasmina Khadra.

Twilight made me want to vomit. I'm all about reading YA fiction and often do, but I'm too much of a feminist to encourage giving that kind of message (about what is and is not acceptable in relationships) to tweens.

Speaking of, I am reading "Gender at the Crossroads of Knowledge: Feminist Anthropology in the Postmodern Era" by Michaela di Leonardo. And totally unrelated, I'm reading "A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson, which is hilarious, and "Back to Basics: A Complete Guide to Traditional Skills" because the man and I are thinking of getting into some light duck husbandry when we move. (I love eggs, so we've been wanting to raise our own when we leave the city.)

Yay!!! It's so nice to see I'm not the only one on the planet who reads this stuff in their spare time. Ohh, since you said you're not a soc major, if you get a chance read some of Marx. Surprisingly I was very intrigued in my theory course.

As for me, I'm reading Lord of the Rings! I've just finished Fellowship and have moved on to The Two Towers. I'll feel great once I've finished all three and can finally say I've read the entire novel, not just watched Elijah Wood a bajillion times.

Yay!!! It's so nice to see I'm not the only one on the planet who reads this stuff in their spare time. Ohh, since you said you're not a soc major, if you get a chance read some of Marx. Surprisingly I was very intrigued in my theory course.

I wasn't a soc major, but I was political theory and gender studies, so I've definitely read marx. I do like it.

Tonights: I know how problematic twilight was from a feminist perspective, but I cannot lie...I enjoyed reading the book. And, I feel that I have enough grounding in feminist theory to read the book without being poisoned. I really like vampires :)

Stuffed and Starved by Raj Patel - talks about the patterns of food distribution (trade and production, etc) and how these are directly responisble for epidemics of both starvation and obesity in the world. It is kinda related to my studies though not an academic work, but it is also something I would (and am) reading for fun. Which is less sad - to read such a book for fun, or to be reading a quasi-acadmic book in preparation for school (ie in the holidays)?

Hopefully I will be reading papers by potential advisors soon to prep for interviews, but in the meantime, I'm reading "Eat, Pray, Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert and it is AMAZING so far. Funny, depressing, inspiring, very readable. As for Twilight, I tried to start reading it to see what the hype was about, but I haaaaaaate the writing style and so I stopped. And yes, I agree, I sometimes do read (and usually enjoy) "tween-y" books, but I couldn't stand that one. :\

"Devil Wears Prada" - don't judge! :) I work as technical writer, so I need some fluffy reading to relax. Before it was Neil Gaiman's "Graveyard Book".

I loved that book! Read it when I moved up to DC right after college. Found it pretty comforting (and hilarious) as I was starting a new job and all :)

I'm currently reading Atonement even though I know it's going to make me really angry. I LOVED the movie.

I loved that book! Read it when I moved up to DC right after college. Found it pretty comforting (and hilarious) as I was starting a new job and all :)

I'm currently reading Atonement even though I know it's going to make me really angry. I LOVED the movie.

I loveddd Atonement (both book & movie).

I think I'll read the Twilight series next...it's going to be perfect for mindless reading to distract myself from this process.

Yay! Someone who can ponder edward vs. Jacob with me! It is totally mindless, the writing sucks, but you will still skip dinner to read it :)