What are you reading?

misterpat

I've been reading some classic anthro books to pass the time and remind myself of why I want to go to grad school in the first place :-). Currently on Patterns of Culture by Ruth Benedict- it's a great read.

Just noticed my roommate's copy of Why Men Love Bitches lying on her desk... might hit that next as a pick-me-up. Except that I know I'll be mentally translating it to Why Adcomms Love Bitches.

Just finished Hemingway's A Moveable Feast, I have some books that I'm now reading depending on what sort of mood I'm in:

M Nussbaum - The Clash Within

M Nussbaum - Disgust to Humanity

Nick Cave - The Death of Bunny Munro

Inspired by the television thread. If you can stop worrying long enough to read, what are you currently reading?

For me:

Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy

Consider the Lobster - David Foster Wallace

I like David Wallace too! Too bad he committed to suicide. In this book, my favorite is SOME REMARKS ON KAFKA'S FUNNINESS FROM WHICH PROBABLY NOT ENOUGH HAS BEEN REMOVED

Spent today reading “Peaceable Kingdom Lost” by Kevin Kenny- not a bad read for anyone in Irish and/or American history (mostly about the impact of Ulster- Presbyterian violence on politics in pre-Revolutionary Pennsylvania). Not a very complex thesis, but I was happy to read a nice straightforward book for a break.

The last fun book I read was Craig Ferguson’s “American on Purpose”- I am an unashamedly huge fan of his, and recommend the book.

Once my thesis draft is turned in this weekend, I'll actually attempt to start reading Tolstoy's War and Peace. Soon I have to read Henry Roth's Call It Sleep as one of my professors recommended it to me last semester and is actually teaching it in a seminar this semester and I want to come in for the discussion.

And I have a couple of books waiting to be read as well.

I'm just finishing up Mansfield Park, and then I'm not quite sure what I'll be moving on to next. I have a stack of five books I need to read, and I might just go for the random historical fiction novel I found in the $3.99 bin at Borders. (We all need some mindless entertainment every now and then, right?)

During and since applications I have been working my way through Moby Dick, Madame Bovary, and now Middlemarch. The "M' connection is coincedence.

After you finish Moby Dick, you might want to check out what I'm currently reading, called In Search of Moby Dick by Tim Severin. In it, Severin travels to the Pacific in search of fishermen who have actually seen white whales. He rags on Melville a bit, basically exposing how little experience Melville had whaling, despite his claims. But what he uncovers in the process is truly fascinating - men who jump off of boats to hook whale sharks by hand. (The whale shark being hunted at one point is 34 feet long, and I can't imagine personally trying to set a hook in that mouth!) Fascinating stuff.

I'm reading...

"The Great Cat Massacre" by Robert Darnton. (Strange episodes in 18th century French cultural history.)

"Occult America: The Secret History of How Mysticism Shaped Our Nation" (Unfortunately not a great book--a little light-weight for my tastes.)

"Do What Thou Wilt: A Life of Aleister Crowley" (Yes, I'm kind of on an occult/mysticism history reading kick. Crowley's life was just bizarre!)

I'm reading...

"Occult America: The Secret History of How Mysticism Shaped Our Nation" (Unfortunately not a great book--a little light-weight for my tastes.)

"Do What Thou Wilt: A Life of Aleister Crowley" (Yes, I'm kind of on an occult/mysticism history reading kick. Crowley's life was just bizarre!)

Okay you got my attention. If you want " the spice," then try Kenneth Grant. Really anything by him is hours of fun.

I had high hopes for "Occult America":D

Edited by hubris

Just finished: The Autobiography of Malcolm X.

Have about ten pages left in: A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.

Am about 150 pages into: The Way of All Flesh.

Also reading: A shit-ton of poetry in the vein of Emily Dickinson, Eight American Poets and Poem A Day.

Next I want to read: Invisible Man.

This is a good thread to get book recommendations on...

David Foster Wallace and Milan Kundera are both great.

Thought Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance had some interesting moments but was overrated.

has not been an easy one, although i already received a no from one school, thankfully not my first choice, i have been reading junot diaz's work (drown, now the brief and wonderous life of oscar wao). oscar wao has been quite entertaining. i also don't have cable so to have a story to dwell on besides whether or not i'll get into grad school has been very VERY necessary lol

This is a good thread to get book recommendations on...

It is, yeah. I have a recommendation for people who need to take their minds off of waiting: the Millenium Trilogy by Stieg Larsson (Girl with the dragon tattoo, Girl who played with fire, Girl who kicked the hornets nest). I am not usually into crime/detective novels, but these are awesome. I can't vouch for the English translation, but my dad and brother thought they were good. The author was a big anti-fascist feminist. Too bad he died before the books got published.