What are you reading?

misterpat

David Foster Wallace. Book of essays, A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again. A seriously good read, and he was once a professor/instructor at Pomona College (I think).

Whoever said A Game of Thrones upthread -- awesome. That's next on my list. I read the entire series once a year because I think A Dance With Dragons will come out every year.

I'm currently finishing up Reaper Man by Terry Pratchett because everyone needs a laugh (especially while awaiting replies from PhD programs) and I enjoy picturing faculty at various universities like the wizards at Unseen University. lol

Whoever said A Game of Thrones upthread -- awesome. That's next on my list. I read the entire series once a year because I think A Dance With Dragons will come out every year.

This may be what I do next: join you in reading AGoT, in hopes that this will be the year. I am only glad that I put off reading it in the first place until last year so that I didn't have as many years of cliff-hanger-ness as some people have had.

On the other hand, I just bought something like 15 books at a used book sale and have Le Morte d'Arthur out of the library, so I guess I'll make that decision when I finish Reaper Man.

All the Vonnegut I can get my hands on.

This. I dearly love the man, and will re-read his books until the ice-nine takes us all.

Also, just finished Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (holy WOW, what a mind-trip) and I'm debating on what's next...

did anyone read 'Ender's Game' during middle/high school? i kinda like that story - a lot!

Yes!! Sooo good! I read the rest of the series too, both Ender's POV and Bean's. Bean's was way better (The Shadow series, I believe). That series remains on my top 5!

Yes!! Sooo good! I read the rest of the series too, both Ender's POV and Bean's. Bean's was way better (The Shadow series, I believe). That series remains on my top 5!

Absolutely adore it! I've read both series multiple times, from middle school through, um, different stages of life :) , and I see the story differently as I develop and experience life. I strongly identified with Ender when I was in middle school and now I find him somewhat whiny. :P

Absolutely adore it! I've read both series multiple times, from middle school through, um, different stages of life :) , and I see the story differently as I develop and experience life. I strongly identified with Ender when I was in middle school and now I find him somewhat whiny. :P

I agree! I wasn't a big fan of the Ender saga, but was in love with the Shadow series.

hmm.. i gotta look up the shadow series then. i stopped after reading ender's. can anyone tell me how many books are in the shadow series? and if someone remembers the names, can you share that too? please? thanks

hmm.. i gotta look up the shadow series then. i stopped after reading ender's. can anyone tell me how many books are in the shadow series? and if someone remembers the names, can you share that too? please? thanks

Shadow saga: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_works_by_Orson_Scott_Card#The_Shadow_saga

For some reason it was always really hard for me to keep the order straight, so I'd maybe keep that wiki handy.

LOVE Vonnegut, and fear and loathing has many dog-eared pages on my bookshelf ("In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught")...BUT

Right now I'm reading two books. 1. A Farewell to Arms by Hemingway (this is an audiobook, so I listen in my car, my attempt to edify myself in the wasted spaces of drive-time) and 2. The War of the Flowers, Tad Williams, in pure fantasy escapism. Nothing like a good 1000-page fantasy monster to burn away the hours waiting for the blasted mailperson to come bearing gifts.

Nella Larsen-Quicksand, Passing

William Attaway-Blood on the Forge

Loooove Nella Larson, especially Passing.

I'm reading The Yacoubian Building,(Alaa Al Aswany), The Persian Letters (Montesquieu), and Sex at Dawn.

Across the Universe..about a girl who gets cryogenically frozen and is woken up on this space ship thats been flying through space for over 200 years..lol yea sometimes i read weird things...i also tend to read multiple books and never finish any of em..so I'm also reading Under the Dome by Stephen King and Brothers Karamazov by Dostoevsky

The dark tower series is excellent, although it is a little bit tedious towards the middle books of the series. I'm still finishing up on black history themed books and movies that I read during February. I'm cheesy like that. My favorite so far has been "Their Eyes Are Watching God" by Zora Neal Hurston. Amazing!

Just finished "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" yesterday. Read "Shutter Island" the week before. About to start on the Dark Tower series.

I wish I had the time to read! If I did though, then I'd like to finish Francis Collins book "The language of God." Anyone looking for a good read though, I'd recommend any russian novel---going on with that theme. I love Dostoevsky and Gogol. If you're looking for a short funny read, try Gogol's "The Nose" available on onlineliterature.com

Hope that helps!

*The Nose summary* Humorous story about a man who wakes up one morning without his nose lol His nose parades around as a general, and the man tries to locate it.